Dropbox Overview

Dropbox is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Storage tools. It is most often compared to SharePoint: Dropbox vs SharePoint

What is Dropbox?

Dropbox provides cloud-based file syncing, sharing, and storage. It specializes in helping large-scale businesses stay organized and productive while protecting the integrity of sensitive information with enterprise-level security. Dropbox is a valuable solution for businesses looking to simplify communication, safeguard information, and improve collaboration. Dropbox's platform provides a user-friendly, real-time sharing and storage solution for large businesses. The company's enterprise-level service plan includes 256-bit AES and SSL encryption, an optional two-step verification process, and optional mobile passcodes, which provide tight security to protect sensitive information. Dropbox uniquely offers a remote wipe feature, which allows businesses to keep data safe when an employee leaves the company or a computer is lost. Dropbox stands out from the competition by offering businesses expanded storage, unlimited file recovery and versioning, and control over sharing permissions. Additionally, Dropbox provides businesses with team management solutions, including device and location tracking, login tracking, detailed user management options for administrators, and centralized billing. Collaboration between team members is further simplified with the addition of various Dropbox apps that allow advanced functionality such as document editing, CRM, and e-signatures. Dropbox has become one of the most popular business tools, entrusted by 97 percent of all Fortune 500 companies. Before implementing Dropbox, global apparel merchandiser BCBGMAXAZRIA was struggling to structure communication and increase company-wide efficiency, which resulted in the need for increased staff hours and expenses. Since choosing Dropbox as its cloud-based sharing and storage solution, BCBGMAXAZRIA has been able to restructure its file sharing and collaboration streams in every department. As a result, BCBGMAXAZRIA is able to boost efficiency, reduce expenses, and protect its information throughout all 550 locations. Review more of the top Cloud Storage Solutions with our SmartAdvisor.

Dropbox Buyer's Guide

Download the Dropbox Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Dropbox Customers

Vita Coco, BCBGMAXAZRIA Group, Centric Project, Kayak, FourSquare, Asana, Huge Adversting , USA Gymnastics, Appen, Valliant, Radio Lab

Dropbox Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dropbox pricing:
  • "I am using the free solution, which provides me with 2GBs of storage, and for me, it's sufficient."

Dropbox Reviews

reviewer1242801
Co-Founder
Dec 4, 2019
Integration with Microsoft Office synchronizes your documents so they are always current

What is our primary use case?

I use Dropbox for document and file sharing. I am more active now because I am using my personal storage to share project files.

• "I like the synchronization, and the integration with Microsoft Office is good."
  • "The problem with the storage is that you are only able to synchronize the information within the amount of storage that you have. It doesn't matter if you are accessing from a team member who has more storage, the limitations are with your storage."

What other advice do I have?

The main difference between dropbox and other solutions that I have used is the synchronization in using local software to the account. You can work in the file in your local office and it will synchronize to the cloud. You are also always working with the latest version of the document. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Consultant678
Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Sep 20, 2019
Free, easy to use, access and share files from any device

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to store and share files between several devices and also as a repository to have harmonization of the same versions of the same documents. The deployment model is a hybrid cloud because I use it on my desktop, my laptop, on my mobile, and it operates in the cloud.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the ability to access files and documents from any device, anywhere."
  • "The Security and privacy of this solution need improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Everyone now is on the cloud using some cloud-based solution. Dropbox is not unique anymore, as there are several storage solutions available. Dropbox is easy to use, easy to share, and easy to store documents and files. This solution works fine and it has what I need. I am just a simple user. I am satisfied with this solution and I am not changing. I am using the desktop client and I can upload and move folders. If you need to share files, then Dropbox is a good solution. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Dropbox, SmartVault, Zoolz and others in Cloud Storage. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1213521
Sales Engineer - IM Cloud at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Nov 21, 2019
User-friendly, simple to set up and great for file sharing

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use all aspects of Dropbox, from storage to file transfers. I use it for notes when I'm in meetings so I can share it with my team. I use it for sharing files as well.

• "The solution is very fast and simple. If I want to share a file I can put it on the cloud or on-premise. It's user-friendly."
  • "The pricing could be better and/or more clear. Right now, they have a strange way of splitting pricing. It's a bit complicated and not clear for users."

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model. I would recommend the solution. It's user-friendly, easy to activate and easy to use. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. The features are great but the pricing needs adjustment.
reviewer1206981
Bookkeeper
Oct 13, 2019
A solution with excellent accessibility, good scalability, and an easy initial setup

• "The initial setup is extremely easy."
  • "The mobile aspect of the solution needs improvement. For instance, if I want to use a file from Dropbox on my phone, I sometimes struggle to download images off of Dropbox. The solution lacks accessibility on different devices."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. The solution is very similar to Box. If I have the file on my computer, it will sync automatically. I would very rarely, for instance, access it online if I'm on my laptop. It's only the mobility aspects of it that are not so simple or quick.
Stacey Robinson
Photographer at Stacey Robinson
Apr 4, 2019

What is our primary use case?

I used Dropbox to store my files but they have deleted my account, and everything is no longer accessible.

How has it helped my organization?

They have deleted my files, and I have moved to another service provider. Their support department did not reply in a timely manner.

What is most valuable?

I can edit my files online, but the option is not that well-developed. However, I like the comments option.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an option to secure my files and set password protection to my folders. I want to lock my folders with a password.  I would like to be able to unarchive my files online.

I cannot reach…
Download our free Cloud Storage Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dropbox, SmartVault, Zoolz, and more!