Dropbox OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dropbox is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Storage tools. It is most often compared to SharePoint: Dropbox vs SharePoint

What is Dropbox?

Dropbox provides cloud-based file syncing, sharing, and storage. It specializes in helping large-scale businesses stay organized and productive while protecting the integrity of sensitive information with enterprise-level security. Dropbox is a valuable solution for businesses looking to simplify communication, safeguard information, and improve collaboration. Dropbox's platform provides a user-friendly, real-time sharing and storage solution for large businesses. The company's enterprise-level service plan includes 256-bit AES and SSL encryption, an optional two-step verification process, and optional mobile passcodes, which provide tight security to protect sensitive information. Dropbox uniquely offers a remote wipe feature, which allows businesses to keep data safe when an employee leaves the company or a computer is lost. Dropbox stands out from the competition by offering businesses expanded storage, unlimited file recovery and versioning, and control over sharing permissions. Additionally, Dropbox provides businesses with team management solutions, including device and location tracking, login tracking, detailed user management options for administrators, and centralized billing. Collaboration between team members is further simplified with the addition of various Dropbox apps that allow advanced functionality such as document editing, CRM, and e-signatures. Dropbox has become one of the most popular business tools, entrusted by 97 percent of all Fortune 500 companies. Before implementing Dropbox, global apparel merchandiser BCBGMAXAZRIA was struggling to structure communication and increase company-wide efficiency, which resulted in the need for increased staff hours and expenses. Since choosing Dropbox as its cloud-based sharing and storage solution, BCBGMAXAZRIA has been able to restructure its file sharing and collaboration streams in every department. As a result, BCBGMAXAZRIA is able to boost efficiency, reduce expenses, and protect its information throughout all 550 locations. Review more of the top Cloud Storage Solutions with our SmartAdvisor.

Dropbox Buyer's Guide

Download the Dropbox Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Dropbox Customers

Vita Coco, BCBGMAXAZRIA Group, Centric Project, Kayak, FourSquare, Asana, Huge Adversting , USA Gymnastics, Appen, Valliant, Radio Lab

Dropbox Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dropbox pricing:
  • "While I consider the software to be quite good, overall, it could improve on its pricing."
  • "You pay as you go, which is a good thing. There is a monthly fee, and you can also pay annually. This flexibility makes the subscription easier and affordable for some of us. I prefer yearly pricing, which is also slightly cheaper than monthly pricing."
  • "Its price is quite cheap. It is quite competitive. You just need to pay for the license. There are no additional costs."

Dropbox Reviews

MO
Call Center Coordinator at Freelancer
A simple and accessible solution, with an easy setup, scalability and overall good stability

• "The solution is quite helpful and allows me to conduct my affairs from all over the globe within moments."
  • "Tech support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution to store certain documents and upload photos remotely from my cell phone directly to my computer. This means I have both an iPhone and desktop application and I sync between them.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution makes it so that I need only click and save a picture or a document to it and whoever is in my office can open my computer and see what I saved within moments.

What is most valuable?

The solution is simple and accessible. It does not leave me with much to complain about.

What needs improvement?

I have encountered issues in the past in which I was forced to name a file after someone who had shared a certain number of files with me. This caused both Dropbox and boxes to be automatically synced, which resulted in both boxes being filled in a single shot. Sync issues would occasionally arise. 20 gigabytes of data would automatically max out one's storage and require that the person delete each folder for things to resume working.

As such, we have had a few bugs and glitches over the years.

I did encounter a major issue once. I lost access to my Dropbox when someone unsynced it for me. It took him a day or two to restore it for me, at which point it did not present such a major issue.

Tech support could be better. It is not adequately responsive and the tech people don't have the requisite knowledge.

The price could be lower.

I use Dropbox regularly, on a daily basis.

I have used the solution for 10 or 12 years.

While the solution has had some bugs and glitches, in light of the number of years I have been using it, I find it extremely satisfying.

The solution has been working quite well, with multiple agents, on a global scale. I have not encountered issues with it at all.

At the moment, I do not have plans to increase the usage. I used to have a much bigger package but scaled it down for the time being. I consider my current circumstances to be satisfactory.

The main bug that I encounted did require me to reach out to tech support and things were not as easy as I expected. It took about a day or so to get things done.

Tech support should have better training concerning its response time, as the initial response is not reflective of people who always know what is going on.

While I did not previously use a different solution, I did simultaneously use Google docs and all the suites so that I could work on a number of documents together. The simple reason is that it allows one to implement Excel sheets and utilize them by two or three people simultaneously, so that everybody can have visibility of the updates. Although this is not a feature that Dropbox has, I would not expect this of the solution.

One need only download, click install, call it, give it a name and that's it. At this point he is all set up.

A kid could set up the solution.

This process does not even take moments to do.

There is no need for ongoing maintenance. The solution is simply available for a person whenever he needs it.

The solution has improved drastically and pefectly matured since its infant days.

While I consider the software to be quite good, overall, it could improve on its pricing. I believe this will happen as a result of increased competition, such as we would see with the use of Google photo, Google docs and all the suites used to sync them.

What other advice do I have?

Absent new technologies being introduced, I feel the solution to be on par with others. I am not aware of anyone coming up with a new type of cloud at present.

Our solution is on the cloud, but I also have the desktop and iPhone apps.

The solution is deployed on their own services.

At the moment, I employ the solution for my personal use, although I have used it globally with sellers and buyers with whom I signed contracts and agreements

My advice to someone looking into implementing the solution is that he go for it. One can use the free version so long as his usage is limited to five gigabytes. Once a person uses this, he would become addicted and simply extend the usage and increase its storage. This serves as the basis for the actual pricing.

I rate Dropbox as an eight out of ten.

Joseph Raisi
IT Manager at Botswana Accountancy College
A stable, scalable, and secure solution for sharing and accessing documents

• "I don't need to carry my laptop while traveling. I just synchronize whatever I've been doing to Dropbox. After the document is synchronized, I can leave my laptop and use Dropbox wherever I am. I can also easily share a document with my colleagues, no matter how big it is. I can allow them to edit, and the editing will be instant. I can see whatever changes they've made to the document. It doesn't delete a document automatically. If I make a mistake and delete a file, it doesn't automatically delete the file. It gives you the warning to say you're deleting a file. In terms of security, I haven't had any challenges with Dropbox where they tell you that your data is compromised."
  • "The arrangement of documents can be simplified. Personally, I am used to it, but for a new user, it might be a little confusing. It can maybe have a feature to allow people to collaborate or work on the same document at the same time. I'm just using it to load and access information, and I haven't faced many challenges. However, I have seen that the whole system or laptop slows down a bit when I am synchronizing files to Dropbox. I don't know if it is because of my system. It might be good if they can enhance the synchronization process so that we can specify that synchronization should be done after 30 minutes. In addition, synchronization should only be done for the documents that have been uploaded."

What is most valuable?

It doesn't delete a document automatically. If I make a mistake and delete a file, it doesn't automatically delete the file. It gives you the warning to say you're deleting a file. In terms of security, I haven't had any challenges with Dropbox where they tell you that your data is compromised.

What needs improvement?

The arrangement of documents can be simplified. Personally, I am used to it, but for a new user, it might be a little confusing. It can maybe have a feature to allow people to collaborate or work on the same document at the same time.

I'm just using it to load and access information, and I haven't faced many challenges. However, I have seen that the whole system or laptop slows down a bit when I am synchronizing files to Dropbox. I don't know if it is because of my system. It might be good if they can enhance the synchronization process so that we can specify that synchronization should be done after 30 minutes. In addition, synchronization should only be done for the documents that have been uploaded.

For corporate data, we started using Dropbox in January, but personally, I have been using Dropbox for a long time.

It has been very stable from the time I started using it.

It is very scalable. It is just a question of choosing a plan depending on the amount of data. If you want to increase your storage from 15 GB to more than 15 GB, you can easily do that. You just make the payment.

In terms of the number of users, we have 200 staff members and around 3,000 students. Some people in our organization prefer using Google Drive, and some of them prefer using Dropbox. Therefore, I can't provide the number of users. If we had an enterprise Dropbox where the IT department managed the storage space for different users, I would know how many people are using it and how often. For deployment, we have about five people in total.

We plan to keep using this solution. If I can get somebody to assist me with the enterprise solution, I will definitely go for it.

I'm just using it to load the information and then access information, and I haven't faced many challenges.

We are also using Google Drive for Education. Google Drive Enterprise is for private companies, and Google Drive for Education is for universities. It is less costly than Google Drive Enterprise.

It is a cloud-based solution. I created an account and allocated the space. After that, I synchronized my data. I didn't have any challenges. It was just a matter of a few clicks. It took less than five minutes after downloading the whole file.

You pay as you go, which is a good thing. There is a monthly fee, and you can also pay annually. This flexibility makes the subscription easier and affordable for some of us. I prefer yearly pricing, which is also slightly cheaper than monthly pricing.

I didn't evaluate other solutions. It was coming as one of the best options when I was searching on the web. I looked at the product ratings and found it to be a better option.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution for other business users. I would rate Dropbox a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Dropbox. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sandeep Math
Team Leader, Benchmarking at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable, seamless, and secure product that provides the privacy that you are looking for and allows you to easily share files

• "It is definitely stable. The main advantage of Dropbox is that you can see the files, and you can easily share them with all the team members. They can be accessed by whoever you give access to, and it is all secure. Dropbox is a seamless product. It provides you the privacy that you're looking for. Privacy is a major factor for my company, and Dropbox provides you that."
  • "We are moving to Microsoft Teams. Instead of Dropbox, we will be using Microsoft Teams that has the advantage of saving the versions. It supports file versioning so that you can always go back to the previous version if you want to. If somebody has made a change in one of the files and you don't know what changes have been made, you can always go back to the previous version. This feature led us to migrate to Microsoft Teams. With Dropbox, there is no option for simultaneous work. This feature is there in Google Files. In Microsoft Teams, you can invite team members to collaborate. That is the reason why I prefer Microsoft Teams over Dropbox. It should also have more integration with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

It is my company's policy to use Dropbox to store all the official details. It is a central storage unit. All of our official files have to be invariably stored on Dropbox until now. However, going forward, we will be migrating to Microsoft Teams.

What is most valuable?

Dropbox is a seamless product. It provides you the privacy that you're looking for. Privacy is a major factor for my company, and Dropbox provides you that.

What needs improvement?

We are moving to Microsoft Teams. Instead of Dropbox, we will be using Microsoft Teams that has the advantage of saving the versions. It supports file versioning so that you can always go back to the previous version if you want to. If somebody has made a change in one of the files and you don't know what changes have been made, you can always go back to the previous version. This feature led us to migrate to Microsoft Teams.

With Dropbox, there is no option for simultaneous work. This feature is there in Google Files. In Microsoft Teams, you can invite team members to collaborate. That is the reason why I prefer Microsoft Teams over Dropbox. It should also have more integration with other solutions.

I have been using this solution for nearly two years.

It is definitely stable.

It is scalable. There is absolutely no issue in terms of scalability in Dropbox or Microsoft Teams. It all depends on the subscription that you have.

Every member of the company uses Dropbox to save whatever files they are working on, and my company has around 3,000 employees.

I haven't had any issues, but with the added advantages that Microsoft Teams provides, our move to Microsoft Teams would be better for the employees.

We were using Google Drive. We migrated to Dropbox five years ago, and we have been using it since then. We will be migrating to Microsoft Teams very soon.

It is a cloud solution. There is no installation.

What other advice do I have?

We are migrating to Microsoft Teams, so we will not be using Dropbox three months down the line. I would recommend this solution, but it also depends on what is your end goal. If there is a lot of collaboration within files, not at the folder level, Dropbox serves the purpose. If you need to collaborate on a project on a higher level, Microsoft Teams is a better option. It also lets you do a lot of project planning.

I would rate Dropbox an eight out of ten.

NB
Co-Founder
Integration with Microsoft Office synchronizes your documents so they are always current

• "I like the synchronization, and the integration with Microsoft Office is good."
  • "The problem with the storage is that you are only able to synchronize the information within the amount of storage that you have. It doesn't matter if you are accessing from a team member who has more storage, the limitations are with your storage."

What is our primary use case?

I use Dropbox for document and file sharing.

I am more active now because I am using my personal storage to share project files.

What is most valuable?

I like the synchronization, and the integration with Microsoft Office is good. The synchronization is between your local storage and Dropbox. You can download a work file from the storage, work on it from your personal computer, and then you can save it.

It's easy to work in Microsoft Office on your computer and to have the ability to load a document that updates to the storage. It's a good thing. For example, on the contrary, with Google Docs, you have to work inside of Google Docs to stay synchronized.

What needs improvement?

The file storage space between a business account and a personal account is not compatible. For example, if a person has a business account and has storage of one terabyte where he stores files into, and I have a personal account with only ten gigabytes available for me to view, then all of the files are stored in my team member's business account. Once I have reached the ten gigabytes of storage, I am not able to synchronize any data even though my teammate, who has one terabyte of storage, is where the files are stored.

The problem with the storage is that you are only able to synchronize the information within the amount of storage that you have. It doesn't matter if you are accessing from a team member who has more storage, the limitations are with your storage.

This is a problem that I am facing. If I withhold my storage and someone shares a file with me, I will not be able to synchronize locally because I personally do not have enough storage.

I have been using Dropbox for five or six years.

I am using it more thoroughly now because I am using it for a particular project.

This solution is stable. I have not come across any issues.

This solution is scalable. It's always scalable because you can always pay to get more storage.

I have not contacted technical support.

The initial setup was easy. I have a technical background, so for me, it was easy.

I implemented it myself. It was no problem.

What other advice do I have?

The main difference between dropbox and other solutions that I have used is the synchronization in using local software to the account. You can work in the file in your local office and it will synchronize to the cloud.

You are also always working with the latest version of the document.

Private Cloud

Other
Pedro Coelho
Associate Partner at Inodev
Easy to use, stable, and trustworthy with good pricing, but needs better version control and integration user experience

• "One of the advantages of Dropbox is that you can share files with people who are external to your organization without any additional costs. It is also easy to use, stable, and trustworthy."
  • "File version control can be improved. It generates a lot of conflicts when people are working on the same file. Its integration with other solutions can be improved in terms of user experience. Integration is there, and it has connectors for Excel, Word, and other solutions, but it is not very friendly. There should be a better user experience."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for sharing files and folders with our clients. We are using its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

DropBox aloows us to easily share folders and files with clients. Since is independent, clients that are not in windows can acces the files and sync quite easy.

What is most valuable?

One of the advantages of Dropbox is that you can share files with people who are external to your organization without any additional costs. It is also easy to use, stable, and trustworthy.

What needs improvement?

File version control can be improved. It generates a lot of conflicts when people are working on the same file. When working simultaneously in the same file, a conflict tends to be generate when both save the file. This is solved by replacing with the latest version but is not automatic.

Its integration with other solutions can be improved in terms of user experience. Integration is there, and it has connectors for Excel, Word, and other solutions, but it is not very friendly. There should be a better user experience. The open a excel file using the offlien application you must access the file directly on the folder, so you can't jump from DropBox portal online version to the offline version of the app.

We have been using it for at least ten years in our company, but I have been using it for two years.

It is stable.

We have eight users who use this solution. We don't have any plans to increase its usage. We are planning to move to Microsoft SharePoint.

We have used their support mostly for billing and licensing.

We didn't use any other product previously.

It is a cloud solution, so the setup is easy. The synchronization with the laptops and other devices is also quite good.

no exactly tangible, but it's positive.

Its price is quite cheap. It is quite competitive.

You just need to pay for the license. There are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for those companies who are not using Office 365.

I would rate Dropbox a six out of ten.

DL
Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Free, easy to use, and scalable

• "It's very easy to use and quite accessible for everybody."
  • "It would be good if they could market themselves as a safe solution for corporates. Currently, most corporates don't see it as a safe area to share within."

What is our primary use case?

I have used Dropbox on the odd occasion to share files and so on with external parties. For example, I've used it to share big files such as videos and items of that nature. I mainly use it for sharing different types of files and for storage.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

The performance is good.

It's very easy to use and quite accessible for everybody.

The solution scales well.

The solution is free to use.

You don't need to install anything.

What needs improvement?

I've used the solution for a while. It's been five years or longer.

The solution has been stable over the years. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. I find it to be reliable.

It's my understanding that the solution scales well. I've never run into any problems. If a user needs to expand their usage, they can do so.

We have about 200 people using it within our company.

I've never dealt with technical support. It has never been necessary, as I've never run into issues. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are. It's very easy to use. So much so, the average person would not need support services.

We didn't use any other storage solutions before we began using Dropbox.

As a cloud solution, there technically is no installation process you have to go through. You just access it and use it.

We use the free version of the solution. We don't pay any licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not an IT person, I'm a business person. I'm not overly technical.

I'm a Dropbox end-user and customer.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I've been quite please with its capabilities so far.

I would recommend the solution to other users and companies.

SB
Research and Teaching Assistant at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Free to use and easy to set up but needs more storage on the freemium tier

• "The initial setup was very easy."
  • "For us, storage is an issue. The free version is too small in terms of the amount of storage on offer."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data storage. I mostly use the solution to share files with others and to share files also with my phone.

I use the solution both at work and at home.

What is most valuable?

The sharing aspect of the solution is its most valuable aspect. It's very easy to share files across devices and with colleagues.

The initial setup was very easy.

The solution has been very stable so far.

The solution has a tier that is free to use, and therefore it's very good for companies worried about costs.

What needs improvement?

For us, storage is an issue. The free version is too small in terms of the amount of storage on offer. They should make it a bit bigger for those on that tier.

We've been using the solution for about five or so years. It's been a while.

The stability of the solution is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

While our team of five or six uses the solution frequently, it's my understanding that the solution is widely used throughout the company as well.

I also use Google Drive. I prefer it, actually.

The initial setup was not overly complex or difficult. It's easy. It's very straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues dealing with the initial implementation.

We are using the free version of the solution. While you can pay more for more storage space, we do not actually use the paid version, and therefore I can't speak to its aspects precisely.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't actually even pay for the product. We have no relationship with Dropbox.

I have the solution deployed on my laptop as well as the cloud. I use it in both places.

I would likely recommend other users check out Google's option and use that rather than Dropbox.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten overall.

AtefehMohib
Business Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use option for Windows users and others

• "I think Dropbox is a good option for Windows users because it's easy to use in Windows and a user can access all other products and software."
  • "Dropbox could make the installation and the log of what has changed in a file easier. Showing logs could be more accessible."

What is most valuable?

Dropbox is easy to use. I installed it on my laptop and I just copy and paste my files into a folder. I can use the Microsoft Office package, like Microsoft Office, Excel, or PowerPoint. I can edit my files easily and all of my coworkers can check them at the same time. It's a really good option for me.

What needs improvement?

I think Google Drive shows the log of the file better than Dropbox and its installation and use are easier than Dropbox.

Dropbox is a little bit complex and it could be that someone would have a hard time using it. For example, I am a computer engineer so it's easy for me to install a software and solve a problem, for example, the installation process. But maybe somebody would not be able to do it. I think Dropbox could make the installation and the log of what has changed in a file easier. Showing logs could be more accessible.

I use Dropbox two or three times a week.

I think it is stable. We used Microsoft products like Windows for more than 10 years, in particular Office and Excel, and they are sustainable and we can track them all the time. I think Dropbox is good, too.

In my team, I think more than 10 people are using Dropbox - between 10 and 20.

All of us use it as separate users but we share files. We don't use the professional package.

There is no installation.

I evaluated Google Drive.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, Dropbox is not a 10, but I'm not sure it's an eight or nine. For my personal usage, I would say a nine is good.

Download our free Dropbox Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.