K2 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

K2 is the #11 ranked solution in our list of BPM Software. It is most often compared to Nintex Workflow: K2 vs Nintex Workflow

What is K2?

K2's process automation platform helps your company grow and take automation to a new level. Tackle any business problem—large or small—and create an app to solve it, without writing lines of code.

K2 is also known as K2 blackpearl, K2 Five.

K2 Buyer's Guide

Download the K2 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

K2 Customers

SEA Corp, Omnicom Group, Verizon, STIHL

K2 Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about K2 pricing:
  • "The initial investment in K2 is heavy. Currently, the expenditure is $28,000 for a year. After we go to the cloud, it is going to be per seat and probably cheaper. Currently, there are unlimited users."
  • "There is an initial fee when purchasing and a fee for maintenance afterward."

SK
Program Manager - Intelligent Automation at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Doesn't require customized coding but lacks flexibility and can feel cumbersome

What is our primary use case?

We have predominantly been using the solution as the front end for automation solutions. I'm a program manager. We don't have a direct link to K2, but we work closely with them and carry out a lot of maintenance and other work through them. So it's quite a deep-rooted relationship.

• "Out of box connectivity with UiPath."
  • "Heavy, cumbersome and inflexible."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a massive fan of K2 even though it's given me a bit of trouble in the past. Essentially, I think there are good features in there as well. It really comes down to your personal requirements, I believe. It's supposed to be a kind of designer-based application, work flow creation application or platform but I personally think that it takes a lot more technical ability to be able to design applications on K2. It requires more than somebody off the street, you need someone who can actually do a bit of design work and be able to spin up a really good application. It's not marketed properly…
TI
Principal Consultant at pure method
A low-code solution that saves a lot of time and resources and has the best workflow engine and SmartObjects technology

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using K2 Five classic. We have several use cases. The main use case is the vendor request. We process all requests that come in from existing or new vendors through K2. Our legal department uses it for checklists and other things. The approval process, onboarding, and all other related things are also done through K2. It is used for onboarding, termination, suspension, access, and many other things. All these things are automated.

• "The workflow engine of K2 is its main strength. Its workflow engine is probably one of the best, and that's the reason why Nintex bought K2. It can clearly handle any complex process or scenario. K2 is almost low-code. It is a no-code or low-code solution. You don't have to read a whole lot of code. It is pretty much GUI based. Their support is also excellent. The biggest advantage of K2 is SmartObjects, which allow you to separate the data from the application. It is a standalone application that allows you to build a data source from different places, which a lot of other applications also do. It is called SmartObjects technology, which is pretty powerful. If I have data from different applications, such as JD and ServiceNow, I can just create a SmartObject based on a data source and use it. I have some forms that have six, seven, or eight applications in a single form with data from different places."
  • "K2 is a workflow solution, and there is no RPA solution with K2. This is where K2 lacks a little bit. It is just a heavy workflow solution. It doesn't have a supplemental product like RPA. If you want to use RPA, you have to use Blue Prism, UIPath, or something else. If you use Nintex, it has an RPA solution. It is a form-based application, and they are doing everything electronically. The initial investment in K2 is heavy because it is a BPM software. It does not have a low cost because they charge you the same for one workflow or 100 workflows."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate K2 an eight out of ten as a BPM solution.
Learn what your peers think about K2. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DH
Automation Team Lead at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable and easy to use with good integration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution as a development platform.

• "The integration capabilities have been very useful."
  • "The Workflow Designer needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

We are a K2 customer and a Nintex partner, although, since the 2020 acquisition, they are the same company now. I would recommend the solution, especially for companies that are working to go paperless. I suggest that if they want to integrate between systems from a strategy department into another department, to really look at the integration layers that they have, as it's very advanced. In general, I would rate this solution at a nine out of ten. We've been largely happy with the product.
FE
Technology Unit Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good performance, easy to use, and offers great integration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for government and public e-services. We always deal with K2 in these areas. We use the solution to mostly deal with workflows.

• "The solution offers very good integration capabilities. We've never had issues integrating it without solutions."
  • "The licensing needs to be improved. Right now, we find it's getting more expensive to use the product."

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership with K2. All in all, I'd recommend the product to other organizations. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If the pricing was better, I'd probably rate it higher, however, their licensing model has changed and things are more expensive than they used to be.
AI
Chief Information Officer at a construction company with 51-200 employees
Very simple to maintain and develop with customization an easy process

What is our primary use case?

Our use case of the solution is to help the sales people in the field, enable them to have all the information from the backend and to more easily put together a proposal for management regarding new tenants of shopping centers. There is a process that flows to the works department, the legal department, the asset manager, and the project manager. They are able to make suggestions, comment, discuss numbers, and make some declarations. It provides good feedback to the management who then need to make a decision. We provide this service for both internal and external clients. We're a customer of… more »

• "Easily maintained and customization is quite simple."
  • "Difficult to include external partners with the solution deployed on-premise."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest to anyone wanting to deploy this solution to find a good integrator that understands the business first, not only from the technical side. Don't hesitate to take the journey. I would also suggest starting with a small solution and then expand it. Like everything, do a minimum viable product and then extend it a bit more slowly and grow into it. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
RR
System Manager at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
No code, stable, and has good support

What is our primary use case?

Our searches are automated for the approval process, and we have automated our dual management process with K2. We have 41 processes automated within K2. It was only a process automation tool for workflows and approval, but now since being bought out by Nintex, we will have many other products available to use. For example, the RPA part of Nintex can plug into K2 and be used together.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are that it's no code, it's very flexible, and it's easy to design."
  • "Currently, it's taking quite some time to deploy a package, it needs improvement"

What other advice do I have?

We have plans to continue using this solution and I would definitely recommend it. I would rate K2 an eight out of ten.