New Relic APM Overview

New Relic APM is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile APM tools. It is most often compared to Datadog: New Relic APM vs Datadog

What is New Relic APM?

New Relic is a software analytics and application performance management solution that gives users in-depth data visibility and analytics. By going right to the source, the code, New Relic enables users to develop quicker software, build improved products,and consistently impress their customers. Data tells a story and New Relic interprets what it is telling you.

New Relic APM is also known as New Relic Mobile.

New Relic APM Buyer's Guide

Download the New Relic APM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

New Relic APM Customers

Dow Jones, Microsoft, Nike, Groupon, NBC, Sony, Fox, Adobe, Best Buy, Walmart, and WebMD, Cirque du Soleil, FlightNetwork.com, France Télévisions SA, Hachette Book Group, Hy-Vee, Inc., Isolation Network, Inc., Lighthouse eDiscovery, Major League Soccer, NYC-DOT, New Zealand Media and Entertainment, Office Depot International in Europe, Royal Opera House, Adobe Systems Incorporated, American Eagle Outfitters, Inc., Citrix, Despegar.com, Eastern Bank Corporation, Fox Sports, Globosat, Hogg Robinson plc, iHeartMedia, Jive, Kent State University, Multiplus, NBCUniversal, Ocado, REI, Sensis, VenueNext, Yellow Pages Limited and Zenefits

New Relic APM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about New Relic APM pricing:
  • "I think the pricing is reasonable."
  • "The price was one of the reasons we chose this solution."
  • "The price depends on how many agents you want."
  • "This is an expensive tool."

Principal Architect at Shadowfax
MSP
Useful service map feature and reasonably priced but the visibility can be improved

• "The simplicity of the dashboard is very good."
  • "It is very difficult to award the service level cycles at an endpoint level."

What other advice do I have?

There is a good bare minimum of required features for this tool, but if they are out to the in-depth analysis then finding a cross-dimensional relationship is not straightforward. It is difficult to implement. If you are concerned about how your services behave, then New Relic shouldn't be your first choice. However, if you are considering New Relic APM, is a very affordable choice. I would rate New Relic APM a seven out of ten.
Senior DevOps Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Reasonably priced, straightforward to set up, and performs as expected

What is our primary use case?

We use New Relic APM to monitor our public cloud-hosted application and infrastructure.

• "It does everything we wanted it to do."
  • "How granular I could go down at looking at certain data, especially related to the operations, is limited."

What other advice do I have?

Our proof of concept has been successful. Getting an order in and reporting is an industry in itself, don't think it can solve the problems it's not trying to solve. It is an application performance monitoring tool. Don't try and make it anything else. The big problem with Splunk for us is that it can do everything. The thing that's nice about New Relic is it doesn't try and do everything, it does what it does. So far, it does it to satisfaction, but don't try and fill multiple holes in your toolchain with it. It's good at what it does. We had some pretty informed opinions on what it was going…
Learn what your peers think about New Relic APM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Specialist at Publicis Sapient
Tight integration, great service mapping, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

I'm working with a banking client. Apart from a uniform monitoring platform experience, they are looking for a solution that is scalable and also ready for cloud services monitoring and container-based workloads.

• "The service maps that it creates, the health maps that it creates, the insights that it provides, etc., are all quite useful."
  • "The product has good documentation for Linux, however, their documentation for Windows is lacking substantially. It's something they need to develop."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is more mature than a lot of options on the market. If a company is looking for something that offers a unified scalable solution where they can monitor everything in one place, then NewRelic is definitely the option they should look out for. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Product Manager Cloud at Pricer
User-friendly with good insights and an overall good product

What is our primary use case?

Basically, I'm helping a customer of mine to set up monitoring items. What I'm doing is comparing solutions in order to create a document that I can give them so that they can pick one final solution.

• "Working with the solution is very easy. It's user-friendly."
  • "It would be nice if there were pre-made dashboards."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a consultant. I'm not a partner or a user of the solution. I'm not sure if I have any specific advice to a company considering this solution as we are still in the early days of considering of this solution is the right fit. However, it's important to go through the process and examine a solution according to your company's unique needs. What works for our client might not work for everyone and vice versa. There needs to be a bit of research. In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's a good product. It just depends on what you need as a company.
Cloud Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable with a good VPN and very easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for watching user behavior, among other use cases.

• "The VPN is one of the solution's most valuable features for us."
  • "The older view is much better than the new view that they have. We'd like to go back to that previous version. The user interface just isn't as nice as it used to be."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We're end-users. We don't have a business relationship with the company. I would recommend the solution to other organizations. We've had a good experience with it so far. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a ten. It's pretty much perfect for our purposes.
IM
Owner at RP reaaliprosessi
Easy to use, gets the job done, and provides good breakdown and in-depth details

What is our primary use case?

We are basically testing three products before going live with the new release of the software. We are also using it to monitor our production.

• "The breakdown of the response time of different components and getting in-depth details of the slow component are the most valuable features. It is easy to use, and it gets the job done."
  • "There has been some problem with the agent, and it is just not working well. It is not able to record information with the application server. They have been able to fix the issue, but it took quite a long time. This is the main issue in the APM products and also in New Relic. The mobile application monitoring has been pretty difficult to set up and also quite expensive. It should be a little bit easier and cheaper. Because it is pretty difficult and expensive, many customers don't take it."

What other advice do I have?

They seem to have a new pricing model, and I would advise others to look out and ask them before buying. The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that you don't always guess right. Without APM, you can guess where the problem is, but with APM, you can actually see where it is, which is nice to know. I would rate New Relic APM a nine out of ten. It is a good product. There might be another product that is better than this, but this is the product that I use and recommend first.
Solutions Architect at VaporVM
Easy to read dashboards that help to provide valuable insights

What is our primary use case?

The primary uses case was to monitor all the front end servers, code, and query optimization for code and DB to enhance the performance, detect and remove anomalies which cause a long time to process the functions.

• "End-user Synthetics and monitoring are very good."
  • "The deployment process could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

For people who are comfortable with the cloud, this is the best option and a product that I recommend. So far, our customers are all happy with it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Technology Competency and Solution Head at LearningMate
Good monitoring capability helps to fine-tune performance and identify problems

What is our primary use case?

We were using New Relic to build performance, application monitoring, security aspects, infrastructure, exporting from databases, lower-performance tips, and trying to identify deadlocks.

• "The most valuable feature is application monitoring."
  • "They should bring the pricing down to be more competitive."

What other advice do I have?

This is one of the best tools that I have used. I have recommended it to customers in the past and would continue to do so. In summary, this is a very good product and the only real problem is that the cost is on the higher side. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Download our free New Relic APM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.