SAP IQ Overview

SAP IQ is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Apache Hadoop: SAP IQ vs Apache Hadoop

What is SAP IQ?

SAP® IQ software delivers speed and power for extreme-scale enterprise data warehousing and analytics. Its column-oriented, grid-based massively parallel processing (MPP) architecture and patented data compression and indexing technologies enable companies to exploit the value of huge amounts of data at the speed of business.

SAP IQ is also known as Sybase IQ.

Download the Relational Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

SAP IQ Customers

ASR Group, Citrix, State of Indiana, PocketCard Co. Ltd.

SAP IQ Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

CN
MSSQL DBA,SAP IQ DBA/ASE at NuWare Systems LLP
MSP
Excellent Performance But Stability Issues Are A Concern

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you can back it up, load data from a local host and do real load tests. The performance is amazing, but the stability issues, and the expense of the product, coupled with less than top-tier technical support, should be considered when evaluating the product for your specific environment.
Technology Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A column-based solution with the highest performance on query

• "The column-based technologies (basically all the database for ITP) are used for SAP IQ. It is used as a column-based solution."
  • "The room for improvement would be the marketing of the product, because this product is much better than advertised."

What other advice do I have?

Save for a 100% guarantee, you will get the performance you are looking for with SAP IQ. It is just not for a normal solution, but I recommend it if you have performance issues and you have a huge database of data, for that it is the best product. For these type of issues, I would operate SAP IQ, over even SAP HANA. I would go for SAP IQ. I am a HANA person, but I will still recommend IQ over HANA.
Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Microsoft, Oracle and others in Relational Databases. Updated: May 2021.
501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Database Administrator & BigData Administrator at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Robust For Ad Hoc DW Queries But Multiplex Has Metadata Consistency Issues

• "It is very robust for ad hoc DW queries and its columnar compression is unique and valuable."
  • "Multiplex is very problematic. There are consistency problems in the metadata, meaning it is possible to lose metadata consistency. You should make sure you have healthy backups."

What other advice do I have?

Data, and getting insight from data, is very important when it comes to competing with your competitors. You have to be fast and agile, in terms of implementing a system and development, in order to get that data insight.
Senior SAP SYBASE/SQL SERVER DBA at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Valuable features include compression, speed, and easy object maintenance

• "Valuable features for us include the compression, speed, fast response time, and easy object maintenance."
  • "I think the universe should be part of the Sybase IQ tool set."

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate, carry out benchmarks, and do an ROI before buying.
RP
Lead Technical Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees

What is most valuable?

Compression Column-based, indexes Speed with large queries Large amounts of data

How has it helped my organization?

While queries with previous products could run for hours, with SAP IQ, they run in a matter of minutes or seconds. Disk costs.

What needs improvement?

There could be more documentation and training.

In earlier versions, yes, but not in the past two-three versions.

None, scales to VLDB status.

An eight out of 10.

OLTP databases, but there's no comparison in terms of reporting and warehousing.

How was the

Database Senior Manager at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
​Columnar storage allows high compression, high load rates and high query performance​.

What is most valuable?

Columnar storage allows high compression, high load rates and high query performance.

How has it helped my organization?

Allows creation of highly functional DW.

What needs improvement?

Concurrency and functional error messaging.

6 years.

Average.

It is straightforward, but the documentation is confusing at times.

Evaluate all options; check to see if you need expensive add-ons. …
Data Architect, Enterprise Data Warehouse at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Query response and data loading times are fast, but we ran into stability issues involved server crashes when attempting to answer legal SQL queries.
Senior Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can now have over one billion rows in a table for semi-real trans-national querying., but the admin UI could use some improvements.

What other advice do I have?

Take into consideration your multiplex environment and storage IOPS balance.
Senior Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We've used this data-warehousing solution exclusively for reporting, with the only issue being that support in Turkey was short-staffed at the time we needed it.

Valuable Features

Sybase IQ is the only data warehousing (DWH) solution we use for reporting.

Use of Solution

I've used it for eight years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 7/10. Technical Support: 6/10 because at the time I was using it, Sybase Turkey were short on staff and not very experienced.

Other Advice

The product is very good as a DWH & Reporting tool. It is performing well on large tables for DML operations and queries.
Freelancer at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
The deployment is a bit complex compared to other databases, but its column-based storage is very high performance.

What is most valuable?

Sybase IQ is a column based database, used for business intelligence, data warehousing, and data marts. It is optimized for BI/Analytics and ad-hoc queries. Since it is column based it uses optimal storage space and very high performance.

What needs improvement?

Very few people are familiar with this technology, as training programs are very expensive.

I've used this product for almost five years.

The deployment is a bit complex compared to other databases.

No issues encountered.

How are customer service and technical

VP at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to centrally store data, but DR capabilities need improving.

What other advice do I have?

IQ is a niche product and is good for data storage with it's massive compression ability and adhoc querying. With the emergence of in-memory databases and MPP platforms (like Cassandra, HANA, Greenplum,etc.). I see IQ being used as more of a data store than interacting with the end users or apps if shops chose to use these new technologies.
Sybase Tower Lead - DBA CoE at a marketing services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The installer is very easy to understand, but the training available needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Estimate the storage requirements, performance requirements, and the number of users during the planning phase. Review the documentation related to hardware sizing and best practices available on the SAP website. There is a hardware estimation guide too which helps in estimating the hardware requirements. Lastly, review the multiplexing option too and understand the implication of columnar storage in a database server.
President at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
​Sales and marketing need improving, but the product itself is the best in the industry.

What other advice do I have?

Come up with clear requirements and a problem statement and see what you are trying to solve with this new implementation. Look beyond current problems by at least three to five years and be proactive and addressing them. You also need your senior management to buy into your approach and budget constraints, otherwise it will be challenging to make it successful.
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I've used other RDBMS's in BI systems like MSSQL and Oracle. ASIQ has the best performance in data retrieval.

What other advice do I have?

Is the best choice when used as DW data repository because it combines high speed queries and lower TCO.
Download our free Relational Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Microsoft, Oracle, and more!
Quick Links