SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Overview

SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Active Directory Management tools. It is most often compared to Dynatrace: SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor vs Dynatrace

What is SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor?

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor (SAM) delivers powerful application and server monitoring capabilities for IT pros, enabling them to diagnose and troubleshoot performance issues faster. Do not let slow applications and downtime impact your end-users and business services. Pinpoint the root cause of application issues across various layers of the IT stack. SolarWinds SAM is affordable and easy to deploy, use, and customize. You can automatically discover your system's environment and start monitoring in about an hour. No professional services or consultation needed.

SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor is also known as SolarWinds SAM.

SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Buyer's Guide

Download the SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Customers

Andr. L. Riis AS, NetSuite

SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor pricing:
  • "The licenses start from USD 3000.00 and go up to USD 20,000.00 for the year. It's a perpetual license. Nothing is free in SolarWinds, anything that you need is an additional cost."
  • "Pricing is inexpensive, starting at 2440 euros. For that, you get the ability to monitor a couple of nodes and one year of maintenance and support."
  • "The product might cost you $30,000 USD to buy, but scaling this solution requires the purchase of additional polling engines at $20,000 USD each."
  • "I like the pricing for this SolarWinds product."
  • "Price can always be lower. It is neither on the expensive side nor on the cheap side. We have worked with them for a lot of years, so we get a discount due to the size of the installation."

Enterprise Solutions & Services Head at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A Performance Monitor, Control Virtual Environments, and helps you build your CMDB

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for centralized monitoring of the server performance to ensure that the servers have proactive monitoring, CPU utilization, memory, and performance across the monitoring. SolarWinds was suggested to our clients running a mid-size infrastructure, with budget constraints and can't afford IBM, Broadcom, or Microsoft.

• "Solarwinds has an open database that allows you to do serious integrations. It doesn't matter which service desk you have, you can implement and integrate it with SolarWinds."
  • "When you implement SolarWinds on a larger scale my customers complain about the speed."

What other advice do I have?

Improvements come as we are moving forward. Requirements also change with time. There were times when we used to be a complete physical infrastructure. Most of the customers have now moved to a virtual infrastructure. The requirements are also changing. In the last ten years, what I have seen is that SolarWinds is improving its product as per the demand of the customer. SolarWinds is easy to implement and it has most of the information the customer is looking for, and the dashboard has the wow factor. I think that every IT team should have to courage to try to implement it by themselves…
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at Adfontessoftware
Flexible infrastructure monitoring for gaining deep insight

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution with customers who would like to have insight into their application environments. These environments could be on-premise, hybrid, in clouds, it does not matter where it resides. They want to have deep insight into the performance and availability of applications, databases, networks, VMware, Hyper-V, etcetera. It doesn't matter what they want to look at because all infrastructure components can be monitored using SAM. This product can monitor about 150 infrastructure components by default.

• "This product can monitor application environments no matter where they reside and provides capabilities for deep insight into infrastructure."
  • "This product has no real downside unless they fail to continue development of its capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate SolarWinds SAM as a ten in regards to the total cost of ownership and quality. But being more modest because there is room for improvement I will rate it a nine. I would highly recommend this solution to users.
Learn what your peers think about SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
UM
IT Consultant at a tech services company
Has good configuration capabilities and very good monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for Microsoft Exchange. We use it as a monitoring tool to query and monitor databases. Using the solution we are able to see what service is running or what services are not. It allows us to get a complete picture of the SIEM.

• "The solution is great for monitoring. If something is going wrong, we can immediately find the root cause."
  • "The templates could use improvement. Currently, they are quite complex. They should have drag-and-drop functionality instead. It would make it easier to use."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. I believe it is version 12.5. If a company would really like insight into its database utilization or performance and why their servers are slow or why the database is not giving a proper response, this solution will help. It's perfect for revealing bottlenecks. You will have more visibility once you will install it in your environment. The solution will no doubt help other companies resolve issues very quickly. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
CA
‎System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
A modular end-to-end solution that is easy to use and easy to navigate

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case varies since we deploy for clients. The use case will depend on their use case, each case is different depending on the customer's need. We look for solutions to suit their needs.

• "The solution is end-to-end from the network and the application to the processes. Everything about the enterprise infrastructure is being covered by the solution. It's easy to use and easy to navigate and one of the leaders among monitoring solutions."
  • "There is one feature that is a report writer. And they are currently trying to take it out from being a stand-alone application and integrating to the web. This doesn't give us the flexibility and it doesn't expand what we can get when it comes to reporting. So, putting it on the web is going to make it difficult to get some information. Leaving it where it is now will help us a lot."

What other advice do I have?

SolarWinds has a network for applications, for virtual infrastructure and every other thing we can think of. Users can look for a module that would suit their company they can buy it and integrate. If you are looking for end-to-end visibility in your infrastructure I think SolarWinds should be the place you to go. They've got you covered. I would rate this solution at 9.5 out of 10.
Senior Officer at a international affairs institute with 201-500 employees
Stable with good alerts and a pretty straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used more or less for the servers for the network including monitoring the logs and all of those tasks.

• "The solution has good alerts. Notifications are sent via email to technicians. You can filter the kinds of alerts you want to receive as well. It's excellent."
  • "In terms of the dashboards on offer, they should work to improve them. The types of dashboards that you get in terms of the graphs on offer aren't ideal right now."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company. We're using the latest version of the solution. For small, small businesses, this solution will be good. However, if you want to go more complex, I would advise you to potentially explore other options. So far, I would rate the solution at an eight on a scale from one to ten. We are still exploring its capabilities. It's still pretty new to us.
Group Chief Technology Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Exchange monitoring is helpful, but it needs to support a lot more applications and on more platforms

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution integrator, and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We also supply this as a service. The primary use case for this solution is application monitoring, in an on-premises deployment model.

• "The more valuable feature of this solution is the Exchange feature."
  • "Some custom applications cannot be monitored, and a lot more applications need to be included."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a single pane of glass to monitor Windows products then SolarWinds is your product. However, it is not best of breed. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
TZ
Business Consultant. at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Powerful tool for DBAs with support for Active Directory

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor and solution provider, and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. It is used for monitoring the performance of applications and infrastructure.

• "The most valuable feature is the Access Rights Manager."
  • "Support for the IBM Mainframe is needed."

What other advice do I have?

There are several tools included in this solution including AppStack (Application Stack Management), PerfStack (Performance Analysis), and NetPath (Network Path Analysis). This is an open platform so if there is something that it does not support then you can write your own scripts. You have the ability to include metrics from different systems, which is very good. In summary, I like this product and I recommend it. SolarWinds is one of the best products on the market and if they eventually support the IBM Mainframe then it will be perfect. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
KY
Systems Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good at monitoring system-specific things and very stable and scalable

• "It's good at monitoring system-specific things like ports, services."
  • "It lacks a user experience for measuring things like the end-to-end time for which a user waits for a specific response in the system. In the application layer, it has some very basic stuff. You have to build your own with manuscripts and things like that."

What other advice do I have?

It's a decent solution for on-premises servers. I would rate SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor an eight out of ten. It needs application-level monitoring and performance output.
See 4 more SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Reviews
Download our free SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.