AppDynamics Review

I chose AppDynamics for the Application Flow Map, Dashboards, Transaction Scorecards & Other Vaulable Features

What is most valuable?

Application Flow Map, Operational Dashboards, Transaction Scorecards, Exception details (stacktrace, sql queries, etc), it provides all the information required to engage the issue, Metric browser, Information Points, Correlation Analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

We can evaluate the performance of an application by doing a few clicks and find bottlenecks very easily. Automatic alerts on resource exhaustion for DB connection pools, HTTP app thread pools, discovering unexpected performance difference between identical applications instances. We have become more proactive rather than reactive.

What needs improvement?

Charting is cumbersome; inability to do decimal fraction arithmetic in expressions (for alerts), so everything has to be done in % rather than as natural fractions. Can’t get response time by host for an given host group without laboriously setting it up in the chart widget.

For seven months. We started with the controller hosted at AppDynamics servers, then we put the controller in an in-house virtualized environment and finally in a physical server in-house.

I didn't encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability.

It’s good, they have really fast response times.

Excellent in terms of commitment, response times and technical knowledge.

We haven't used any other solutions in past, this is the first APM solution we use for our Java based applications.

It was pretty much straightforward, we didn’t face any big problems when setting up AppDynamics.

We implemented through an In-house team.

Yes, I evaluated OPNET as well.

What other advice do I have?

Scale the product properly within your system’s architecture to get better results in order to analyze your app's performance properly.

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
author avatarProject Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
TOP REVIEWERConsultant

What are the products you have evaluated before using AppDynamics? What challenges did you face in in-house implementation?

author avatarAnton Kasimov

Hi Jose

Could you tell, what application you're monitoring (Java, .NET, etc) and how many nodes do you have? (if it's Java, it's JVMs)