AppDynamics Review

For more obscure problems, it's allowed us to drill down into our code. It's changed the target area.

What is most valuable?

We've been able to chase down some big problems with our website. When the problems are more obscure in nature, it's allowed us to drill down into our code and find things we wouldn't normally be able to find as easily.

How has it helped my organization?

It's actually saved us tons of man hours because we've been able to narrow in on where actual problems are, rather than having to chase our tails looking at everything along the way. It's changed the target area. It's reduced that dramatically, so we know where to look for problems quicker.

What needs improvement?

Things I struggled with most were the visual widgets in dashboards. I feel like there could have been more online guidance.

Synthetics would be much easier if we didn’t have to learn Python and could use a GUI tool like Dynatrace.

I would also like to see alerting if our transactions or log transactions daily allowance has been met.

I like the looks of the network feature coming. That looks really cool. As far as the product itself, I've been really happy. Everything I've needed from it has been easy to find. Beyond the items I’ve mentioned, I don't have any big ideas for enhancements. As I’ve mentioned, I've been happy with what we have.

It's worked when we needed it, all the time. It's been very stable. I've never had an issue with it.

I don't have much experience with scalability. We're smallish, I'd say. We're a web farm of 4-8 servers. Even during the busy times, it's scaled for what we've needed it. I've never had to test that.

Technical support has been awesome. I've only had to call them a couple of times. Every time I did, I got an immediate response and they weren't happy until I was happy. Of all the tech companies I've ever worked with, they're definitely one of my favorites to work with.

We did not previously use a different solution. That was the thing: It was an untapped area for us, really. I guess when we found them at another conference, Velocity, a few years ago, and decided it was something we really needed.

I think my boss at the time looked at New Relic and maybe Dynatrace. We didn't know much about APM at the time, but I think pricing was the overall factor there.
To be perfectly honest, to me, the most important criteria when selecting AppDynamics was the experience. We had a really great sales team to work with. They made it easy. The support we got along the way was phenomenal.

What other advice do I have?

Take time to get into the forums. That wasn't something we did right away. The forums, the online AppDynamics University, all of them are really, really helpful.
I've been really happy with it and everything we want it to do, it's done. If it was something we thought couldn't be done when we reached out to support, we got help to the ends we needed it.

We will be using other AppDynamics products. We just started, actually; we signed a contract a few months ago. A lot of that stuff is new to us. We're mainly skilled in APM. We're learning the synthetics and the transaction analytics now, which look to be really promising. I'm excited about the demos we've seen. We've had some professional time with a couple of consultants, who showed us how to use them. It looks really, really valuable.

1 Comment
author avatarUser
User

Good thoughts. I suggest dripstat for scalability and price.