Automation Anywhere (AA) Review

Helps us avoid repetitive tasks and save dollars

What is our primary use case?

Our company's main application is the SAP application, so we are trying to automate SAP and associated manual work processes.

How has it helped my organization?

We do plenty of manual processing every day. This is repetitive work where an employee will come and do the same task. The tool helps us to avoid those repetitive tasks and save dollars.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it supports MetaBot for SAP applications. This is very useful for us when automating. Due to some failures with the MetaBot recording option, we are also trying to capture the things using object cloning, which is a good option too.

In version 11.3, they have a good security option. Tool-wise, it's pretty good to work on Automation Anywhere. If you compare it to other tools in the industry. It is very user-friendly and easy to develop processes. We liking using it very much.

They have launched the recent version A2019. That version will be very helpful for us.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, the MetaBot fails using the recording option.

In previous versions, there were some limitations. There wasn't proper security when it came to credentials. We tried storing credentials, but the security level wasn't great.

When a bot is in production, sometimes the keystrokes will not work. I am not sure why, and we have tried to contact technical support. They said that they don't have an answer for this. It happens in the the remote environment when we are deploying a bot into AWS machines. So, technical support said this happens in AWS machines sometimes: If the bot is running and the machine is locked, then at that time, the key strokes will not work. They have provided that solution, but we are trying to avoid keystrokes now.

Unwanted windows are popping up. We have to train a bot to recognize the window if it comes up, know what it is, and click it. If it is interrupting our bot, I just want to avoid that window, because I am getting failed logs.

We started with the tool a year and a half year ago.

It is not 100 percent stable. We are trying to process a flow and will receive unexpected windows. The issues is that Windows will upgrade something on the back-end and the bot will fail. This is not a development issue. It is a Windows issue from their upgrades and pop-ups. We are trying to avoid that.

So, we are trying to develop an IQ Bot because of this. As of now, we haven't tried the IQ Bot, we have just installed IQ Bot and are trying to develop it. We have to train IQ Bot.

Nothing is stopping us to increase our scalability. The scalability is good.

Technical support from Automation Anywhere is pretty good. When I raise a ticket to them, they respond very quickly and try to resolve the problems which we are facing day-to-day.

We are now very stable with the tool and not having any issues. When we started with Automation Anywhere, we had issues. We contacted technical support, and they helped us.

When this technology first came to market, I thought it was about robotic things, which we cannot do. However, when I started to learn about Automation Anywhere, it's completely different. It's a user friendly tool with drag and drop commands. A person just needs technical, logical thinking.

When we started, we were not aware of the entire architecture of Automation Anywhere. It was like a new technology. I have a partial technical background, so I could easily understand the tool and its architecture. However, I observed that non-technical team members could also easily understand Automation Anywhere's commands. They way that the bots are built makes it very easy for non-technical people to understand the logic pieces if they have logic skills. They can develop bots. Compared to other tools, where users should have some technical knowledge, this is an excellent differentiator for Automation Anywhere.

We have developed 20 bots in our organization. We have a pretty good ROI as of now.

What other advice do I have?

Go with Automation Anywhere. It is a very good tool. It has an easy to develop process.

You need to set up the proper architecture or you will fail in setting up your process.