Automation Anywhere (AA) Review

Better productivity and efficiency, and has improved customer satisfaction

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases for this solution are all related to Telecommunication Companies (Telcos) because these are our prime customers. We also use this solution to automate the support system.

Some examples of use cases are service creation, service deletion, getting complaint details, ticket booking, and ticket updates. We have created unattended bots to handle these processes.

How has it helped my organization?

We have found that the automation bots we have developed give great savings in terms of higher productivity and efficiency. We are able to provide value-added to our customers because these processes were done manually, not automatically. It has improved our customer satisfaction.

What is most valuable?

This most valuable features of this solution are the drag-and-drop interface, and it is easy to code.

We have begun using the IQ Bot, and while we are not using as much of the document analysis functionality, I'm sure that we will be using these features for automating more processes for our customers.

What needs improvement?

Change management can be an issue because as applications change, the bots need to be modified.

There are some business areas for which this tool is not capable of doing, such as in the areas of graphically-based input. The image capturing of the network management systems is not up to date for all of our customers' processes. We are seeking some kind of improvement in this light. We have use cases that the tool does not currently support, and we will be able to do many more if this capability is also covered.

Technical support for this solution could be improved if they categorized according to severity. At the highest degree of severity, one dedicated person should work to resolve it as early as possible.

It would be helpful to have a repository of use cases that are created by different customers. They could be accessed from the Bot Store. For us, it would help if we had access to use cases specifically for Telcos.

We have a lot of problems installing for some customers. In particular, if it is a distributed environment then we face challenges. For example, the database should be installed in a network other than where the control is installed. It can be very time-consuming, and support for these situations is very important.

The stability of the bots is generally good. Sometimes, the applications get changed for business reasons, so we have to recapture the data that was used to develop the bot. For this reason, we do sill have some challenges.

I don't think that we will have any challenges with scalability. We started in a small way and I'm sure when we really require it, we will be able to scale.

Technical support for this solution is good, and they have provided us with resolutions to our problems. We are partners, so naturally, our support systems are connected.

Normally we need to wait for a message from the technical support team, and then we have to capture screenshots and do some monitoring. We also need to do some analysis. This makes for a huge gap in resolving an issue.

We do have a customer with a technical issue that was taking quite a long time because of their Oracle integration. There was a very long gap in time before resolution, so the customer was a little bit unhappy about it. They have to be able to foresee these types of use cases and ensure that they have a stable tool that is able to cater to my new ones.

There are some complexities with the initial setup of this solution. Most of our installations are done in our client's network environment, and there are challenges because there are two or three parties involved. Our IT team, the customer's IT team, and Automation Anywhere are involved. With the different stakeholders, we have to ensure that all of them are in sync and able to complete the installation on time.

We have seen ROI. In fact, before starting automation we performed an initial feasibility analysis which resulted in our proceeding with the implementation. Most of our deployments see ROI between six and nine months.

What other advice do I have?

I will be focusing more on the artificial intelligence and analytics part of this tool that they are bringing in.

For anybody considering this type of solution, I would first suggest that they look at what kinds of processes they are trying to automate, and then look at the right tool. It depends a lot on what the process is. For standard ones, this is a mature tool so they can use it. However, for a very mixed set of processes then you look at the specific tools for those types of automation.

This solution is good, but there are still more features to add. There are some use cases that I cannot handle, otherwise, the solution would be perfect.