BMC FootPrints Service Core Review

The primary value for us are the incident, problem, and change management features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this product is we effectively use it as a very smart ticketing system. So most companies have the add-on version or the add-on module for change management and also the CMDB (Configuration Management Database). So the CMDB is populated with inventory data, whether it be ECCN (Export Control Classification Number) or other sources. It's a very sophisticated ticketing system.

What is most valuable?

The product is very strong on three things: incident management, problem management, and change management. So its primary value for us are the incident, problem and change management features.

What needs improvement?

To improve the product for our usage, the pricing, maybe could be a bit lower. It would also be better if it covered some additional iTel versions for processes. Currently, it's got about six or seven. I'd certainly like to see more iTel processes.

I have been using the product for maybe 15 years.

It's extremely stable. We've got customers who are mobile telecommunication customers, we've got hospitals, we've got power companies, and we've got an airport. We can handle the volume with no interruptions. Instability would really be unacceptable.

It can be scaled up as big as you want. It all has to do with just space, memory and the proper processors.

In Australasia (mostly comprised of Australia and New Zealand), I don't know how many end-users there are exactly. We maybe have 50 to 70 user companies currently. In New Zealand, they use this as their service base and they've got 40,000 to 50,000 employees and it is widely used. From that, you can see it can be scaled up easily.

If we can not seem to fix a problem for our customers, which we usually do, we just raise a ticket with BMC and they give very good support. Technical support for BMC is really pretty awesome. We are satisfied. When we put in a ticket and there is work to do, they solve the issue.

The installation and initial setup are very straightforward. It can easily be done in one day and it's out of the box. Integration with other applications via SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol) or API or Web Services is also very good. It is very easy to integrate with other applications and data sources.

The installation of upgrades is also very easy. It is just a matter of downloading an executable and launching it and you get an in-place upgrade (without removing the older version first).

We are a BMC software partner, and we market and sell BMC software so we know about it in depth. We require only one or two people for deployment. We do a lot of installations for customers remotely as well. The two people are engineers or maybe integrators or administrators. They are just competent IT people. You don't need to be a guru or anything to deploy the product. A lot of our customers have actually installed it by themselves. It is that easy.

The licensing for FootPrints is a perpetual license with an annual support fee. The cost of the license depends on how many agents or technicians you purchase. Customers are free, but you have the services of a given number of agents or technicians depending on how many your license covers.

We are a BMC software partner, so we didn't go and evaluate other applications because we are familiar with the capabilities of a broad spectrum of products.

What other advice do I have?

I've been using the product from version nine right up to the current version. The great thing about FootPrints is that it is very easy to install and configure. Typically three times a year they will have a major upgrade. You can choose to upgrade one at a time (once every three months) or you can wait till the end of the year and just do one upgrade to cover all three of the upgrades at one time. But the upgrade installation has been very, very easy and we don't experience glitches and performance issues.

On a scale from one to ten where one it the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a nine. That is nine rather than a ten because there is room for improvement.