Dynatrace Review

It was delivered when we wanted it and has performed exceptionally well

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, we use it for monitoring our end user performance experience, as well as diagnosing root cause analysis for one of our core applications.

It is performing quite well. We are able to see globally our end user response time tracing down to the user ID. If there is an issue, we are able to diagnose it very quickly. This is the key to diagnosing quickly the root cause, then fixing it.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, we would go into war rooms and contact each vendor fighting over what the issue was, as each vendor would blame the other vendor: infrastructure would blame middleware, middleware would blame server, and so on. Therefore, the issues were not visible.

The app shows you where the problem is, so you can go to the correct person. While there was initial resistance, now they has accepted the tool because they actually see the data is correct (tangible proof).

What is most valuable?

There are two components. One is the DC RUM, which provides me with the visibility for end-user experience down to user ID. This is one of the key features that we use it for. AppMon gives me the key feature, PurePath, which gives me access to basically the root cause of my issue, JWC. Thus, PurePath for AppMon and DC RUM provides end user experience monitoring.

Dynatrace has a bit of a AI component in one agent. Prior to that, using AppMon, the user needed to be quite skillful to understand where to troubleshoot and what was the root cause. With the add-on of AI, at least upfront it tells you it analyzed all the logs, and it actually gives you a first level analysis instead of having you spending a lot of time trying to understanding the logs. AI is very useful, especially in the modern age to just speed up your diagnosis for finding the trouble/issues.

What needs improvement?

The mobile app provided by Dynatrace could be improved, especially the DCR mobile app because it does not have some of the basic functions, like push notifications or even customized reports. It is very basic. I can't use it. I have to use the full app version. Whereas if you have a good mobile app, it actually gives you all of the notifications and you can drill down, which would help.

Stability is not an issue.

I have only used it for two applications, so I have not really scaled up. I do not use the cloud version, so I do not have that experienced. So far, in my environment, it works fine and has low overhead against my applications. So, that is the key thing.

Technical support normally goes through our partner. The partner will then contact Dynatrace if they have an issue who will then come in with our partner and consult. When Dynatrace has come in, I have felt they have been knowledgeable.

We were all siloed. The challenge associated with siloed monitoring tools is it only gives you one perspective. It is a web server log, so you need a lot of human intervention to piece things together to find a root cause.

The key driving force towards Dynatrace was we were doing application transformation, so we were running the application and we had performance issues. We immediately needed help troubleshooting. For this case, we actually moved Dynatrace straight into production and it was able to detect the core issues, then we were able to resolve them very fast. Thus, this was the immediate selling point for Dynatrace and we procured it.

We deployed it quite fast. Managing to install AppMon was quite straightforward, but for the DC RUM, building the reports is a bit complex. It needs a lot of training and a partner to actually help out.

A Dynatrace partner will always be willing to give you a trial. Go through the trial to see if there is a benefit for your company. Just try it out, implement it into production, and you will see the benefit.

Not really.

What other advice do I have?

It was delivered when we wanted it and has performed exceptionally well. However, we have had to resolve a lot of things and had a lot of issues with the tool.

If I had just one solution that could provide real answers, not just data, the immediate benefit would be time saved (streamlined) instead of analyzing so many different tools.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: You need a good business partner to work with and help you implement the solution, thus it is the implementation and the support. These are the key things that I would look at in a vendor.