Dynatrace Review

We are able to drill down and detect what the problems are; providing high-quality performance monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We currently use AppMon. It has been performing great compared to what we replaced.

The main use case is application performance monitoring and availability.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefits will be more proactive, high-quality performance monitoring and availability with more insight into the application. It is very impressive.

It has helped my business move forward probably just by taking the next step that everybody needs to think about, which is AI and the possibility of cloud. I do not know what direction the company will go with that yet.

What is most valuable?

• PurePath
  • Being able to drill down and detect what the problems are.
  • More insight into detecting what the problem is with some of our applications.

What needs improvement?

We are still struggling a bit with finding an answer quickly. It is all there, but there is so much that it is still really hard to figure out exactly which way you want to go:

• What do I right click?
  • Where do I go?

It is a little overwhelming with the amount of data that we have. I think it is more of an issue on our end. We just need to get more familiar with it. We just started implementing it last June, are still relatively new, and are currently struggling with some performance issues.

We have already seen the next release. It is doing so much more than what we ever expected.

Less than one year.

Right now, we are struggling a bit with stability.

We have outages. We have not pinpointed what the problem is. We have data loss. We have had to restart and have not narrowed down exactly what the problem is yet. So, that is in the works.

Scalability is good.

Because we are having stability issues right now, it depends on what we need to do:

• Do we need to add more memory?
  • Do we need to add more collectors?
  • Do we need to bump up something?

So, this is a little uncertain at the moment.

Technical support is good.

There was only one time that I had to contact someone at two o'clock in the morning and the response was not as quick as I thought it was going to be. However, we addressed that with meetings. I think they have done a lot better job of their support.

We have used siloed monitoring tools, specifically CA APM. The challenges were probably the end-to-end and getting the full picture of what the problem was. There always seemed to be some major piece missing and Dynatrace has allowed us to get as close to that big picture as we possibly can. Then, with OneAgent, it has to provide the problem to you. It does not really get any better than that.

We picked Dynatrace because of the value that it provides.

Our environment is very complicated anyway, so the initial setup was a bit of a struggle, but only because we have so many applications and JVMs that we have been working on for long time. We had to move everything from CA APM to Dynatrace, so it was a big conversion process.

We found a tool that can be utilized by testing, DevOps, marketing, software engineering, and monitoring. Before, we always had everybody doing their own thing. Now, everybody's utilizing one tool, which is huge. That is a huge savings.

Definitely look at Dynatrace if you are looking to purchase an APM solution.

We did evaluate other solutions, but I was not a part of that process.

What other advice do I have?

If I had just one solution which could provide real answers as opposed to just data, the benefit to my team would be time savings. We are scrambling all the time to try to figure out when there is a problem. If we could have something else telling us what the problem is, we could spend more time fixing it, providing valuable dashboards. and other valuable monitoring, then have a better proactive monitoring environment. So, it is huge.

The role of AI when it comes to IT's ability to scale in the Cloud and manage performance problems is huge and really important, especially after seeing OneAgent. We will probably be moving to that, then probably be upgrading to version 7. I think that is the direction that the company will be going. They do not say that they are not supporting it, but it is highly encouraged that you jump onboard the OneAgent train.

Most important criteria when selecting an APM solution: Something that was less overhead for us. We were finding with our old tool, which we still support because we are still not off of it, to get the same thing that we get with Dynatrace required more servers and effort on our part to address everything that we wanted to from the performance side. So, there is less infrastructure to support and it is a little more consolidated.

AppMon
More Dynatrace reviews from users
...who compared it with AppDynamics
Learn what your peers think about Dynatrace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.