Dynatrace Review

Reduces our root-cause analysis time but needs better load-handling

What is our primary use case?

I'm an admin so my primary use case is to manage the product and the software. And whenever there is a user, they have a question, they don't know how to browse or look at the PurePath, that is where I come in, to show them how to.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us reduce time spent on root cause analysis. Whenever there's an issue, there are multiple teams involved, and we are using multiple tools: Splunk, Nagios, etc. If we have one product that gives one solution to the root cause, the issue, it reduces some of the operation time for our team, so we can spend most of our time on automation or something else.

What is most valuable?

The PurePaths. The ability to see the transaction flow of the web request. It's very useful.

It's valuable because our developers, when we have an issue, they can drill down to see exactly where in the application, the call in the application; where the high response time is, or where something is wrong. At least they know where to look for the solution.

What needs improvement?

I want to see an increase in the load, at least to 7,000 or 8,000 transactions per second, just for it to stable for this upcoming holiday, if we do not transition to the new Dynatrace product yet.

What is missing right now is, it doesn't tell me where the problem is. So whenever we find a problem from the customer, or from our incident management team, then we go into the tools and look for it. So we want it to have more problem identification, somehow, just like the new Dynatrace product. They have the problem tab, you can go in there an see it. But AppMon lacks that.

Right now, for AppMon, the maximum handling load, the transactions per minute, is around 6,500. We had an issue on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, some kind of stability issue, that users who could not log in.

It's not very scalable, we cannot add another server onto it. We have a little trouble there, so that's why we're trying to upgrade to this new Dynatrace product to see how it will go.

We just submit a ticket, and it will probably take them one day. That's sufficient for us, for now.

The resolution time is also about one day. Right now, one day is not good enough. We would like it to be in the hours. So that's why, another thing with this new Dynatrace product is they have the messaging system, something like that. And they have the server that would monitor our Dynatrace server, where they can see everything, what the issue is already, so they can resolve it quicker, instead of our submitting a ticket and waiting for one day.

I was not involved in the set up of the app. I remember they were doing it manually. They installed the agent, set up the server manually, on each server. So when I came in, we used Jenkins to write a script to automatically deploy to our server. There is still a lot of manual configuration. It's not straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to the nature of digital complexity, and IT's ability to scale in the cloud and manage performance problems, I think moving to the cloud is very agile and provides scalability. Right now, we're using AppMon which doesn't have the AI feature. That's why we're interested in upgrading to the new Dynatrace product, which has the AI feature and scalability.

If we had just one solution that could provide real answers, as opposed to just data, there would be a lot of benefit. If somehow the new Dynatrace product - the AI engine that tells you where the problem is - would tell us where the problem is and bring it down to the pinpoint, to the root cause, so we don't have to spend time looking into it, or the developer team doesn't have to manually look into it, that would be good because those actions require time.

When we were selecting a new APM solution, the criterion of our company was performance. The performance team, they mainly use this tool to test how load capacity runs. So they are mainly testing for the performance stability of the application.

I would say that if you haven't used AppMon before, then just go and order Dynatrace, instead of going to AppMon and then transitioning.

AppMon
More Dynatrace reviews from users
...who compared it with AppDynamics
Learn what your peers think about Dynatrace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.