Dynatrace Review

Provides tremendous detail about what is really going on in your system

What is our primary use case?

We've installed it to help us with performance issues and we use it when there's a problem, but we find it difficult to get in to find out what's really wrong. We always have to call someone from Dynatrace to help us figure out the problem, because we're not very good at it, which is why we want to get to OneAgent or the new Dynatrace.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization really hasn't improved because they haven't adopted it very well. We've had it for three years and the adoption of it has been really, really slow.

One thing it helped with: We should never get traffic from outside the U.S. and we were getting traffic from Europe, and that was a problem. And we found out what caused it was that an agent outsourced some of their work to someone off-shore, and they weren't supposed to do that. Dynatrace helped us find that information out. We wouldn't have found it otherwise.

What is most valuable?

The amount of detail it gives you about what's really going on in your system.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to get the AI piece into AppMon. If we can't get to where we need to be, it would be nice to have that AI as part of it. And I think, actually, you can do it now with the availability of Davis.

Very stable. I've never had any downtime with it at all.

I can tell you it scales very well. We went from nothing - we're a small shop - but we went from nothing, five agents, to installing 150 in a week. It was very, very scalable, especially OneAgent; it's even  or more scalable. I was able to actually turn off AppMon and put OneAgent on it as a demo, and it took me 30 minutes for 100 agents.

They're very helpful. They help us get right to the problem.

It's been Dynatrace or something called Reveille. Those are the two products I've used.

The problem with siloed monitoring has always been the complexity; trying to figure out how to get the information that you need out of the tools, that is usually the problem.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding the importance of AI when it comes to IT's ability to scale in the cloud and manage performance problems, for our company, we don't do AI. So it's not important at all. However, I absolutely believe it's the future of technology. I would love to move our company in that direction, to use AI to help us - especially with Dynatrace - be proactive with problems, see them coming before they actually happen, which is what the AI piece can help deal with.

If there was one solution that could provide real answers and not just data, the immediate benefit for our team would be ease of use. It's easy for people to see, "Oh, I just caused this problem," especially if you want to get into a CICD, which is where we're trying to go. When I release some code into my performance environment and I can see impact immediately. That's something that would be great to have.

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor are stability, and what other people in the industry are saying. We look at industry reviews for what they think about a company. That's where we look: How other companies in the same industry look upon a vendor.

In terms of rating the product, I think with all the changes they're making with it, it's probably a nine out of 10. It's probably one of the best ones out there. You can always get a little better.

Make sure you go with the Dynatrace SaaS option. It's easier and it all comes out-of-the-box. It figures things out for you.