Dynatrace Review

Troubleshooting features like PurePath, and dashboarding in addition, give us good insight

What is our primary use case?

We use AppMon to monitor our production system today. We're also looking at ways to get our development teams looking into things as they commit, and identifying performance problems, as soon as we can.

Our team is one of the few development spaces in our organization that actually uses Dynatrace to give us some feedback in terms of performance level, test regions, things like that. We're trying to find ways to get other people involved there.

How has it helped my organization?

When I first started, it was about five years ago, I don't really recall what was being done for application performance monitoring. But about three or four years ago they put Dynatrace into place, and I know it's provided a lot of insight, especially when we had production outages, to troubleshoot and quickly identify the problem.

What is most valuable?

For us, some of the troubleshooting features for development, the PurePath technology. The dashboarding gives us some good insight into some fluctuations in some of the application areas. But, seeing the new Dynatrace stuff makes me think, it could be a little easier.

What needs improvement?

If there was something that could be done at a local developer's station, something like, "Hey, here's a hint, this thing looks like it might not be optimized," or the like. More development features, to hedge that performance.

Three to five years.

Some of the UEM capability interfered a little bit with one of our UIs. Aside from that, I don't think I know of any performance problem with the application.

I don't think we've had any problems with scalability.

I have not called tech support, but we do have a guardian. I know that one of our performance engineers actively works with him to work through any kinds of problems, configuration problems, things like that. We've had good support from them.

What other advice do I have?

I don't know that we use too much in the way of AI to scale our production today. We do use Pivotal Cloud Foundry when we do have some auto scaling-up of some of our microservices. But those things, I definitely think are going to become more commonplace, and more part of everything that we do.

I think the AI stuff is going to help us going forward, because we're breaking apart some of our bigger, monolithic applications, and building our microservices, so there are going to be things that need to scale up, scale down, based on what someone is doing. So I think that AI stuff is really going to drive a lot of that.

Regarding one tool that could provide not only data but real answers, even with PurePath and things like this, it still takes time, a day or whatever - or expert knowledge of some person - to be able to identify a problem quickly. From what I've seen so far, the AI stuff actually gives you at least five, six, different possibilities at worst case. So, just that insight alone would be a big time-saver for everybody.

When working with a vendor, I think it's really important that they're - I don't want to say available - but responsive. And I think with the guardian service we've been using so far from Dynatrace, it's worked pretty well.

I would rate AppMon a seven out of 10. I think at times it has given some folks some headaches from a configuration standpoint, and a maintenance standpoint, but aside from that I don't think they've really had many headaches with it.

Definitely weigh your options. I know there's some availability for proof of concept with Dynatrace, where they actually work with you, whether it's a guardian service or sales. They will work with you to identify the proper solution and setup for you, so I think that's really a good thing, instead of just dropping some software product on your platform.