Dynatrace Review

Easy to reach the root cause of problems in applications and quicker to fix them

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to monitor business applications, mostly with Web front-ends, to provide access for end-users and consumers.

How has it helped my organization?

We have reduced our troubleshooting times and improved the way that we deal with most of the bugs in the applications. It's very easy to reach the root cause of the problems in the applications, due do the analysis with Dynatrace. The timeframe to update and fix the applications has been reduced a lot compared to what we had before Dynatrace.

What is most valuable?

It's the ease of deployment and ease in configuration. It's very comprehensive in its features to monitor end-to-end transactions.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more agents ready to be deployed. I know that it's possible to develop integration with Dynatrace API, but in day-to-day operations it's hard to do that kind of customization. So if they had more agents for more platforms and more applications, I think it would be better.

We have absolutely no problem with the solution. It's very stable.

In terms of scalability, my company is not that large, but it looks like the scalability is very good. We don't have any problems with scalability.

It's very good technical support. We don't have many issues with the product but when we have, we get very quick solutions. It's very good support. Nothing to complain about.

We used multiple solutions, the ones that came with the different applications. So a solution that monitored the database, and another solution for the application server, and a different one for the server hardware, and the connectivity. We had to integrate all the information that came from these separate solutions to come up with a conclusion about what was happening. This was the main driver that lead us to look for a real end-to-end solution.

The business perspective had a lot of weight in our decision because it was hard for us to really correlate the components of the application, and how it impacted the business application and the business itself. These were the main drivers that lead us to buy this product.

In terms of the most important criteria when selecting a vendor, we usually look for a product or a vendor that has good positioning in industry reviews. With that, the pricing is very important. Also, the features. So it must be a top vendor with the best possible pricing and the features that fit our needs.

I was not really involved in the initial setup. I just coordinated the deployment. But it didn't need seem we needed to do too much for the setup of Dynatrace. We had to focus our efforts on group duplications, from a business perspective, but everything else was discovered and automatically set by the Dynatrace application itself. I don't think we had much trouble.

The real complexity that I've seen with Dynatrace is to learn how to navigate through all the options in the troubleshooting process. We have a lot of ways to evaluate the same problem. We had some difficulties in the beginning with the use of the product, but after some time and some experience we have overcome this problem.

I understand that due to comparisons we did, that Dynatrace is still kind of an expensive solution compared to others. But I recognize that they are ahead of the competition when we do a feature by feature comparison. We have a very stringent budget for an infrastructure solution. Maybe if they provided modules, a simple module with fewer features and a lower price, that would be very good.

CA, Computer Associates, was on our short list as well as BMC PATROL. These were the main vendors when it came for my evaluation. Some research was done and I received these vendors as the best options to evaluate.

We decided on Dynatrace, over Computer Associates and BMC, mostly because of the difficulties that we thought we would have after the setup of the product. Dynatrace was the most expensive, but we had almost no need for service, for Professional Services. We just did some training and we contracted some consulting hours and that was it. The deployment with Dynatrace seemed to be easier than the others. We needed to get results very fast, due to the size of the investment.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it with a grade of eight out of 10 because it's a very good solution. We got results very fast after the initial deployment, but I still find it very expensive. So we are still being questioned about the cost-benefit. The value that we have in Dynatrace - I don't think I will have this kind of budget in the near future - it's worth it now.

My main advice is to evaluate the effort to set up the solution, customize the solution, after acquiring it. I know that we had better pricing, lower pricing, with the other competitors, but as I talked to some other customers that use BMC and Computer Associates, everyone told me it was a long run until they reached the setup that they needed. And they still have a lot of maintenance. Every change in the thresholds of the applications, they have to come back to the standards and redo the setup, but Dynatrace does it all by itself.

1 visitor found this review helpful