ForgeRock Review

Added functionalities in the form of patches and version upgrades so it was easily adaptable to our architecture design

What is most valuable?

1. Highly customizable is one of the main advantages of the ForgeRock product. I personally like the Custom Authentication Modules design.
  2. Ability of ForgeRock support and its development team to provide patches and functionalities.
  3. Highly improved performance and scalability.
  4. Fully integrated with internal/in-house provisioning systems.
  5. Rapid deployment of the products.

How has it helped my organization?

For the current client environment, we have started with ForgeRock OpenAM 13.0.0 version and asked for many patches and features for our solutions. The ForgeRock team added functionalities in the form of patches and version upgrades so quickly and it was easily adaptable to our architecture design.

What needs improvement?

Similar to other products, they do have some improvement scope the in the documentation part. I do feel they became more organized and better, in terms of documenting, as they are growing with the new versions, but there is also more scope. Also, compared to other major market competitors, they have a lot more to learn from them in terms of product designing.

I’ve been working on the ForgeRock product suite (including ForgeRock Access Management, Identity Management and Directory Services) for around three years now.

The deployment of a solution is never easy in a new design of the environment. The new capability of the Amster tool for OpenAM seems to be very easy to deploy your solution over their older tools SSO Admin & SSO Configurator. Amster provides config properties to be exported and imported to another instance with JSON format, as an example.

With every upgraded version, they come with some minor instability issues or little functionality errors. We did find many small and medium functionality issues from the journey of OpenAM 13.0.0 to Access Management 5.1.1, which they fixed in the next upgrades.

Scalability has never been problem with the ForgeRock product suite. You can add nodes at runtime without affecting the environment. You can build another datacenter without affecting the running instance and add to it.

So far, I do not have any complaints on the technical support side. Whenever we asked for any patches or bug solutions, they have responded within their incident matrix response time. I would like to rate technical support at a 10 out of 10.

No, we chose ForgeRock as our first choice. Though we had many other products to look at, ForgeRock seemed to be very compatible with our customizations and ease of use requirements.

ForgeRock came up with a community version and enterprise version, which is the main difference in pricing. They also came up with the Product Suite 5 version. They provide subscriptions based on the identity basis divided into internal and external identities.

Yes, we did comparisons with other IAM tools, like IBM SAM, Oracle Access Manager, and Ping Identity solution. We needed a better user experience and flexible authentication, like adaptive authentication plus multi-factor authentication capabilities, where ForgeRock seem to be the best match among them all.

What other advice do I have?

ForgeRock products are highly flexible and customizable within the range of their competitor's products.

Look at the your requirements and compare products with each other and choose which suits your needs better. On the ForgeRock side, I personally liked the capabilities of customizations and the technical support we get from the vendor.