Fortinet FortiMail Review

Great anti-spam properties and perfect configuration

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for its anti-spam properties. In order to protect our mail server in our data center from spams, we need an anti-spam program.

What is most valuable?

The solution helps me to do internal routing and to configure interfaces. FortiMail works on the profile.

What needs improvement?

I would like it if the solution could be more affordable.

I've been using Fortinet Fortimail for three years now.

The solution is very, very stable. We've had only one problem with FortiMail in the past when our internal hard-disk broke down due to a bad sector on the disk. My colleague contacted FortiMail's technical team, and they replaced it for us. This was bad for us because our systems were down for three days. But up to now, that was our only issue with this solution.

We have about 300 users and we plan to increase our usage by opening new branches and new factories. So I believe the program is scalable.

The technical team was very helpful. Our only issue was that, because we are in Egypt, Fortinet had to use their distributors in Egypt to fix our problem, and that is why it took three days to get the hard disk, install it and reconfigure it. Luckily our last configuration didn't take up much time, only about one hour, thanks to a backup of the last configuration that was available online. But if it has to be shipped from the distributors, it will take three days at least.

My company previously used a software but when using an anti-spam solution as a hardware, it's better than an application, because an application could be corrupted.

My company pays around 28.000 Egyptian Pounds per year for this program. It is rather expensive in my opinion.

We compared it to Sophos, but it is more for users that aren't IT experts. It is so easy that anyone can use it - even my young child can configure Sophos. But for Fortinet, you need an IT expert. This is why we chose Fortinet, and we found that it is a very good solution.

I've also been using Cisco and it's a very good firewall. It's an old program, but it's doing its job for me. I use it for deviant connections and for publishing my internal server to the internet. So the Cisco firewall is also doing its job very well.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this program a ten out of ten, because it's configured right. The person who configured it actually knows what the real function of anti-spam is. It protects me from cryptography. I do see some connection delay from time to time, but I believe it is because of the Sandbox check.

1 visitor found this review helpful