Fortinet FortiMail Overview

Fortinet FortiMail is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Email Security tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Secure Email: Fortinet FortiMail vs Cisco Secure Email

What is Fortinet FortiMail?

FortiMail appliances and virtual appliances are proven, powerful email security platforms for any size organization — from small businesses to carriers, service providers, and large enterprises. Purpose-built for the most demanding messaging systems, FortiMail appliances employ Fortinet’s years of experience in protecting networks against spam, malware, and other message-borne threats.

Fortinet FortiMail is also known as FortiMail.

Fortinet FortiMail Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiMail Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Fortinet FortiMail Customers

Magromer Cueros y Pieles S.A.

Fortinet FortiMail Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiMail pricing:
  • "If you don't need the full bundle that includes everything, you have options for the small or medium enterprise environments."
  • "Pricing is straight-forward and renewable without complicated pricing structures."
  • "Pricing is based on initial license purchase and use volume."
  • "In terms of licensing, we are using a virtual machine license for the single virtual server which it runs on. Doing it this way enables us to cut costs by only licensing FortiMail for our exact use case. If you need to expand in future, you can later buy extra licenses per virtual machine."
  • "The annual cost is $55,000."
  • "It is an expensive product."

Fortinet FortiMail Reviews

Imad Awwad
Group IT Manager For ME Region at Malia Group
Feb 10, 2020
User-friendly, multi-platform, easy to setup and troubleshoot

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is for filtering emails, internally and for external emails. We have part with Office 365 and the other is hosted inside. We have monitoring and certain policies regarding emails, both in sending and receiving them. The deployment Model is on-premises using a virtual machine.

• "Troubleshooting is very simple because you can see where the email was not delivered and why it would be considered as spam."
  • "An additional feature that could be added is a pop-up screen notifying you that an email has been blocked, without having to double click on it to take you there it could provide you with a summary explaining why it was on hold or why was it spam when you hover over it with your cursor."

What other advice do I have?

Emails are dangerous to deal with. You need backdoors for all people, You don't have any control over it because you are not the person who's dealing with emails for the employees. Everyone is dealing with their own emails. In order to secure your emails, you need to secure your employees and the emails that are trespassing into your environment. You need to find a solution that not only scans emails, but you also need to have some artificial intelligence for the machine learning for emails. That's what FortiMail is doing. FortiMail is flexible, straightforward, and easy to troubleshoot. This…
Huthaifa Smadi
Group Senior Network Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Aug 30, 2019
A full-featured email gateway that monitors email intelligently to block, isolate and assess traffic

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is as a secure email gateway. I just use the blocking feature and spam detection.

• "This excellent email gateway minimizes spam, inspects suspicious emails and isolates infected attachments with little administrative effort."
  • "The product could incorporate even more artificial intelligence to enhance the functionality, but it is a competetive and intelligent product as it."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to clients and I really love the way that Fortinet thinks about and executes most of their solutions. They maintain a simple graphic user interface and they give you a good view of your network and good visibility. I love the design of FortiGate. They know the protocol, how the protocol is being used and they protect the protocol from other mechanisms. FortiMail is an awesome product mechanically. I think they should have better features in FortiMail to integrate more tightly with Fortinet. It should also have a user awareness mechanism or more artificial…
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiMail. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rhonda Sudduth
Database/Server Specialist Computer Services at a university with 201-500 employees
Aug 26, 2020
Scalable, great for spam outbreaks, and offers great technical support

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for identifying spam, viruses, zero-day spamming, and any other kind of spam issues our organization might face.

• "The solution can scale."
  • "Sometimes it takes a little bit too long to determine if an email is good or not. If they could shorten that time span, it'd be so much better. It does delay our email, which does not make users happy. That said, I would have to say we have not been blacklisted for quite a while now."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company. I would rate the solution nine out of ten. If it weren't for issues surrounding quarantining emails, I'd rate it higher.
Wagdy Hafez
Cyber Security Solutions Manager at Summit Technology Solution
Aug 31, 2019
Actively works to ensure reliable delivery and containment of threats and spam

What is our primary use case?

I'm not working on the local FortiMail installation and really concentrate on servicing and deploying FortiMail to clients. The primary uses depending on the client are anti-spam and anti-fishing as well as threat isolation.

• "A full-featured email gateway solution that contains security threats reliably."
  • "Limited ability to upgrade hardware may lead to some performance issues that might otherwise be improved."

What other advice do I have?

With the Fortinet FortiMail solution, you have a lot of advantages because of the effectiveness of security. You also see a return on investment in the cost of ownership and value. The licensing value — as I hear from clients — is very good, and the capacity of FortiMail is very scalable. You can have a large number of users and pay according to the capacity, not on the number of users so you pay for actual use. On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and 10 is the best, I give FortiMail an eight out of ten.
Giorgi Sakhokia
Information Security Officer at State Audit Office
Dec 16, 2020
Safeguards our company's emails with minimal configuration and no stress

What is our primary use case?

We have FortiMail running on-premises on a virtual client. It is currently serving emails for about 400 employees that we have here. All this is taking place on the same server, and for the past three months it has been our main guarantee for email security.

• "FortiMail is extremely flexible and very easy to learn. Compared to other email security products that we've tried, it is mainly the ease of configuration that makes FortiMail valuable to us."
  • "I have little to say about possible improvements, but the configuration for content blocking could be better. So, for example, if the email includes the line "You have a Bitcoin", I would like it to be easier to block it before it enters an inbox. Fortinet could maybe offer better or simpler help on how to do this properly."

What other advice do I have?

After three months of evaluating FortiMail, it has exceeded our expectations and we will definitely continue using it. I would rate Fortinet FortiMail a ten out of ten.
BrianAmenya
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Aug 29, 2019
Protects us from spam and phishing attacks and has good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution. Our primary use case of this solution is our main gateway and main server.

• "The most valuable aspects of this solution are that it protects us from spam and phishing attacks. We had a lot of attacks coming in and then we deployed this solution and they stopped. We no longer have any spam or phishing issues."
  • "The biggest room for improvement would be the deployment. It will be hard for someone who doesn't understand the interface to deploy. If you understand it, you can find your way around the problems."

What other advice do I have?

It reduces the stress of keeping your environment safe. Security starts with the individual and it needs to be layered. Mail is the easiest way to hit up a company. Mail security is a must. I would rate it an eight out of ten.
Mohamed-Maher
Network Administrator at Mashreq Group
Aug 27, 2019
Great anti-spam properties and perfect configuration

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for its anti-spam properties. In order to protect our mail server in our data center from spams, we need an anti-spam program.

• "The solution is very, very stable."
  • "I would like it if the solution could be more affordable."

What other advice do I have?

I rate this program a ten out of ten, because it's configured right. The person who configured it actually knows what the real function of anti-spam is. It protects me from cryptography. I do see some connection delay from time to time, but I believe it is because of the Sandbox check.
reviewer1194153
Network and Communications Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 24, 2019
A good anti-spam solution that's stable and offers excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for messaging.

• "Technical support is great. They are able to look at their patches and offer quick responses. We even have an account manager in the Middle East. They are very good."
  • "There are features that other solutions have that this one is lacking, such as reporting options. I hope in future releases they advance their features list."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model. We're moving to virtual appliances soon. We are going to the government cloud, but all network appliances will be virtualized beforehand. Once we go on the cloud, everything will be hosted as assets. I highly recommend the product. The product is easy and there's no complexity. It's easy to use, easy to learn, easy to upgrade, easy to apply any changes. It offers a good price versus quality balance. I would rate the solution 8.5 out of ten.
See 9 more Fortinet FortiMail Reviews
Product Categories
Email Security
Download our free Fortinet FortiMail Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.