Fortinet FortiMail Review

Protects us from spam and phishing attacks and has good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution. Our primary use case of this solution is our main gateway and main server.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of this solution are that it protects us from spam and phishing attacks. We had a lot of attacks coming in and then we deployed this solution and they stopped. We no longer have any spam or phishing issues.

What needs improvement?

The deployment modules need improvement. They insist that it should be deployed on two different versions which doesn't make sense because ultimately, it's just an IP address. But we tried and maneuvered our way around it. The biggest room for improvement would be the deployment. It will be hard for someone who doesn't understand the interface to deploy. If you understand it, you can find your way around the problems.

They should bundle the analytics in the next release of this solution. Now we need another solution like FortiAnalyzer.

I have been using FortiMail for the past two years.

Stability is great. I would recommend it to anyone.

I haven't really looked at scalability. It fits my environment and my needs. But I do know that the hardware has limits and constraints. Even their smallest box can only support 150 mailboxes which is ridiculous.

Right now, we have around 600 users using this solution. Everybody's email goes through it. We require three admins for maintenance.

We don't have any plans to upgrade it.

When I had a problem, I contacted their technical support and they were good. I love their support. Somebody was having issues with false positives. Some emails were being flagged as spam. Their support was able to resolve the issue within the hour.

We were using Microsoft before this solution but there's a limit to what it could do and we needed more protection.

When I read the online documentation, the setup seemed complex. I have a background with this solution so I deployed it in my own way and it worked. It was pretty straightforward for me. The deployment took me fifteen minutes. If you understand how the server works, it's easy.

I deployed the solution myself.

We have definitely seen ROI. My emails are safer. We don't have any more spam or phishing emails. The users are safe now. I don't have to worry about what emails my team is getting. It makes my life easier.

The annual cost is $55,000. There is only the licensing and support cost but aside for that, there are no additional costs.

I don't remember the name but we used a Linux-based solution. We also didn't want to use a cloud solution so we looked at Fortinet and it seemed easy to deploy so we went with it.

What other advice do I have?

It reduces the stress of keeping your environment safe. Security starts with the individual and it needs to be layered. Mail is the easiest way to hit up a company. Mail security is a must.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.