Fortinet FortiMail Review

A good anti-spam solution that's stable and offers excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for messaging.

What is most valuable?

We have used the solution as a mandatory tool in our infrastructure. It's kept some of the spam email and stuff like that out. As a security layer, we've have added Fortimail for security as the mail gateway.

What needs improvement?

FortiMail sometimes catches emails and marks them as spam. We sometimes need to contact the vendor regarding some issues. Occasionally, there's a bug that forces an upgrade, and once the upgrade goes through, it's fixed.

There are features that other solutions have that this one is lacking, such as reporting options. I hope in future releases they advance their features list.

The load balance of the LTM and the WAF should be improved. I would like all of the features to be advanced in the future because it offers fewer security features than its competitors. They do support WAF and they do offer WAF and LTM but with fewer features compared with other brands like F5.

We were planning to replace F5 with Fortinet, but security came to us and said there are a lot of features that are not available. At that time, we changed our minds about utilizing the solution because of this.

I've been using the solution for three to five years.

The solution is stable. We had issues around a firewall coming down as we worked towards finalizing an RFP of the license on the appliances. The vendor came directly to us and fixed the issue. They gave us a replacement for free to cover us until we got all of our projects renewed and replaced the firewall.

The scalability of the solution is good. We have more than 1,500 users.

Technical support is great. They are able to look at their patches and offer quick responses. We even have an account manager in the Middle East. They are very good.

The initial setup was handled by a vendor partner. We were just monitoring or administrating the appliances.

We have vendor partners to help us with the implementation of the solution. I wouldn't recommend anyone attempting to implement the solution by themselves.

The pricing is good in comparison to the competition and the quality of the solution is very good.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model. We're moving to virtual appliances soon. We are going to the government cloud, but all network appliances will be virtualized beforehand. Once we go on the cloud, everything will be hosted as assets.

I highly recommend the product. The product is easy and there's no complexity. It's easy to use, easy to learn, easy to upgrade, easy to apply any changes. It offers a good price versus quality balance.

I would rate the solution 8.5 out of ten.