Fortinet FortiMail Review

Continuously updated, good technical support, and good value for the money

What is our primary use case?

We have the FortiMail appliance, and it is installed on-premises. It provides email filtering for our Exchange 2013 server.

How has it helped my organization?

These days, the threats by email are very high, and this solution provides our security. I would say that eighty percent of threats are known, and there is another twenty percent that is new. New threats are added to the database as they are discovered.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the spam filter.

What needs improvement?

The only drawback to this solution is that the firmware is frequently updated, and each update results in downtime. Because of this, sometimes we skip the firmware updates so that we don't have to work outside of office hours.

The reporting capability could be improved.

It would be helpful to have a tracking feature to help us with investigating where a particular email came from.

We have been using this solution for almost five years.

This is a stable solution.

We don't have a big organization, but it has been flexible enough for us.

We have approximately one hundred email addresses being filtered. We have perhaps seventy-five people, but some have multiple email accounts, and there are additional mailboxes for the business, as well.

Technical support for this solution is very good.

The initial setup for this solution is straightforward.

We update the firmware on the appliance ourselves, and the latest update was just last week.

This is a good solution and value for the money.

What other advice do I have?

This is a dynamic product that is continuously being improved.

As we are moving to Office 365, we may be moving away from this solution. We may look for a cloud-based solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.