HPE Apollo Review

It's a dense product, meaning we can fit several servers into our rack space.

Valuable Features

For us, the most valuable features are the price and density. We have very limited space and we're able to fit four servers into our data center's rack space. Although I think a lot of the servers from different vendors are going to be very similar because they all use Intel chips, making them essentially the same, it's the HP management software that makes it better than the competition.

Improvements to My Organization

The biggest benefit for us is a physical benefit in that we can save our very limited space. Again, it's a dense product, meaning we can fit several servers into our rack space.

Room for Improvement

The licensing could be greatly improved, I think. We have a very hard time tracking it because we have to get a license for every server and machine. We have to click in our email, then go to the site, then login to HP, then download the license, then we have to do it all again for each server and machine, and we have to know which server or machine the license is for and give the license to the installer. It's inefficient, overly complicated, and should be simpler and pain free.

We haven't had any issues with deploying it.

It's been stable so far, but we've only had it a few weeks.

We have six racks and we can fit another. At the moment, we have sixteen Apollo servers and we're going to put 40 in as we have the space for that.

We've signed up with a third-party management service. They've been really good so far.

The initial setup was simple for us. HP came in, they racked and stacked it, and the software guys came in. This took a day or two and they were all done with the image. The whole process including hardware and software stack took about two weeks.