HPE Apollo Review

Certified for use with Linux, it enables us to easily implement software defined solutions

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for high-performance computing. Our customers really do like it because of the density they can achieve in the racks. Apollo provides so much compute power and storage as well.

It's performing extremely well.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to implement software defined solutions very easily, because Apollo servers are certified for use with Linux systems, which is really a big thing for us.

What is most valuable?

High compute density and high storage density at a reasonable cost

What needs improvement?

Obviously I would like to see the cost go down. That speaks for itself.

We would like to see improved cooling because that is quite an issue. If you put that much compute power into a single rack, cooling really becomes an issue. And there is room for improvement there.

Extremely reliable. We've been using it for three years now, and it's been in production without any downtime yet.

Especially if you use software defined storage, for instance, scalability is just great.

We have not use HPE support. We have our own engineers, so we're really proficient enough. And it's really easy to use. So it's not a big deal.

We actually had a business case. We were looking to address this business case with standard IT storage solutions but they were way too pricey for us. So we figured we needed a way to use a standard service, make the most of these standard services, and came across Apollo Systems. Apollo Systems provide stuff that standard services do not. More HTDs, more compute power, at very reasonable pricing.

It was straightforward.

We do look to Super Micro whenever price is king. But if we are looking for reliability, then HPE is the way to go.

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criterion when selecting a vendor is reliability. We need a vendor to be there for us, even when the product is already three or four years old. That's a big thing for us.

I give it an eight out of 10. It does what we expect it to do. As I said, cooling is still an issue, you really have to keep that in mind if you implement the solution. But aside from that, we're really happy with it.

Talk to a partner who has implemented a solution with HPE Apollo, talk to customers who have actually used it in the field. It's really simple to do.