IBM Rational Quality Manager Review

Has good integration with the other professional tools but usability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage the testing. We have both manual and automated testing and we have many teams in DHL IT services that are designing some solutions. It's part of the whole life cycle. So they implement that and then test it. We adopt more and more Agile or DevOps practices, like Scrum or Kanban, and as a part of that, the work which is implemented is tested.

Historically we did a lot more manual tasks but more and more we are automating the tests and using the automation. We trigger some test automation tools from Rational Quality Manager. For example, we use Selenium or Micro Focus Quick Test Professional, or QTP. These aren't typical but we also trigger integration tests. For example, the Rational Integration Tester is triggered by RQM as well.

What is most valuable?

Integration with the other professional tools is a very strong advantage so that we can have a traceability between the requirements and defects in Rational Team Concert. That's the most important aspect.

What needs improvement?

I think it's fine from a performance perspective but usability is something that needs improvement. It might be because of the complexity. They introduce some entities before people learn how these entities link to each other. It's not intuitive. Tools like JIRA qTest are much more intuitive, for example. Quality Center is simple as well.

I have been using IBM Rational Quality Manager for five years.

It's very stable.

It's scalable. We didn't have any scalability issues.

We have contacted their support many times. The IBM support was good. It's not perfect, sometimes it's not so fast.

I would say the initial setup is not easy but it's not super complex. We have Enterprise Deployment Topology so we have mounted servers and it's not so simple to set up the whole infrastructure. Upgrading is quite complex. Compared to JIRA, it's more complex to set up. We had to use IBM to help us.

What other advice do I have?

Consider the introduction of the tool in terms of the proper education of the teams who will adapt it. I think any introduction of such a tool requires proper training. It's not so intuitive that people can trust it. If you just give it to people directly, without any training, then they can get it wrong. Make sure to invest in training

Smooth integration with JIRA, but I think this is not realistic.

The IBM suite is kind of independent and it's getting more niche because it's not such a big community of users.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

More IBM Rational Quality Manager reviews from users