JIRA Service Desk Review

A versatile help desk request tracker that lets you receive, track, manage and resolve customer requests

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product to log issues that require investigation or solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows tracking and communications to be sure issues are resolved. This helps us remain on task and keeps clients happy.

What is most valuable?

The product is valuable for logging and tracking issues. We can use it on multiple platforms and make it accessible to other people in other streams.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by integrating better with mobile numbers. For example, creating a WhatsApp platform would extend the solution and make it more useful. For now, when the issues are logged here, requests and responses go through the email server. The additional opportunities for connectivity would make it possible for quicker responses and more immediacy. With Micro Focus, one of the tools we used, we were able to build in a script that would send a response through WhatsApp instead of sending emails to the project group. JIRA would be better if that type of thing were possible, or even better if the solution was actually built into the product instead of having to use another service.

I think if JIRA can get that one right, it will be more desirable in the marketplace in general.

More interactive reporting would also be helpful.

We have been using JIRA Service Desk for more than six years.

We find that this is an excellent tool and it is very stable.

JIRA is an excellent tool. We still have room to improve how we use it. It can cater to multiple needs and purposes which enhances its demand. The fact that we can use it for multiple tasks alone makes it scalable. It's very good at what it does.

We have more than ten people currently using it. Most of them are testing consultants and developers. We also have project managers using it.

For deployment and maintenance, it may take only one to three guys. It depends on the complexity of what you are planning to do with it, so it will vary from case to case. There's no absolute answer to how many people will need to be involved.

Our deployment of the project is changing and growing on an on-going basis. It is used extensively and consistently and seems to be more useful as we explore what it can do.

I won't lie and say they are good because I am not the one who is in contact with support when something goes wrong. The development server had a problem that they solved, but the technical guys on the projects are the ones who would know about that. I haven't heard any complaints about support.

We previously used the defect module for Micro Focus ALM.

In most cases, we don't have to set it up from scratch. The stakeholders usually already have it installed. The amount of time it takes for deployment depends on the complexity of what a client needs.

We used an in-house guy for the implementation.

We have seen a return on investment in that it makes us more efficient and that in turn will make our clients happier.

I do not have a good idea of the costs as that is not my department, but it is a valuable solution for handling and tracking multiple projects.

We did not really evaluate other products when making the switch to JIRA. It seemed to be an intuitive choice.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate this solution as an eight. It is a good solution and it helps to boost productivity.