JIRA Service Desk Review

The simple user interface helps non-English speaking customers use the software and it is highly customizable

What is our primary use case?

One of the main advantages of JIRA is that it can be customized for our solutions. I live in Iran and we translated some parts of it into Persian and customized it with extra features. We hid other features to customize it right to the point. We provide this solution for our customers.

It helps us shape it for our project management workflow. We are a software development team, a software company. Internally, we also use Microsoft Team Foundation, or TFS, for our development team, while we use JIRA Service Desk for our contact points. We use JIRA for the CRM and Microsoft Team Foundation for internal use.

How has it helped my organization?

We designed a single page on JIRA and classified it into three parts. One part reports software bugs, another part to report requirements about software development, and the last part for other requirements or needs. The customer can follow the links that we share. The system also sets permissions for our customers. I think we shared the agent mode. JIRA has two modes, one for administration and one for customers. We shared the customer mode.

Usually, our customers need two permissions, depending on their hierarchy. One level is the manager and the other is for a regular customer. We share it with our customer at two levels. The manager sees all of the requests that are sent from the organization. The regular user-level allows one to view only their own request.

What is most valuable?

It is simple to use. It is clear for our customer, who usually don't know English very well. The simple user interface helps them use the software.

What needs improvement?

An improvement they could add is a better management dashboard. We only use the dashboard for the administration mode. We have a dashboard that reports the state of bugs or requirements. However, customers can only view requests that they made. We are not able to share a dashboard with our manager level customers to show them all of the requests in a quick dashboard.

For Service Desk, I think the product now is very good and complete. Only the management dashboard for customers is a feature we would like to see in a future release. Maybe it is available already and we just can't find it.

We've been using JIRA Service Desk for two years.

JIRA has very good stability. We haven't had any problems with it.

We use JIRA in parallel with TFS. We connect them with a JIRA provided API. We use this API to connect with other products. Sometimes we must program for it to download some plugins and add to JIRA, for example. We can connect JIRA with other products this way.

One of our technicians did the setup. I am the manager of a technical support team and I delegated this part of the project to one of my technicians. I think he ran a Windows server for the deployment. He installed JIRA on it and configured it. He searched how to install JIRA on a Microsoft Windows server and read the manual. I think we had no problem with the deployment process. He set it up, but I didn't hear about any problem with it.

Actually in Iran we don't have copyright or intellectual property, so we can use JIRA for free.

It's uncomfortable, but because we don't have any laws about copyright, we must do it. We also do this with other products, like Microsoft's for example. We usually get them free. We have no problem using the full feature set free.

I searched about the top CRM in the world and compared features. Eventually, we selected JIRA.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this as nine out of ten. If they add a dashboard for management customers, it would be a ten.