ManageEngine OpManager Review

Alerting Provides Real-Time Failure Insight And Can Occasionally Predict Failures

What is most valuable?

Device Monitoring, and especially Network Monitoring, Automation, Alerting, and Reporting.

• Device Monitoring gives us an excellent view of servers and workstations, providing tools to leverage capacity management.
  • Network Monitoring offers an extensive view of about 5000 network ports from different vendors, ranging from military grade switching to firewalls.
  • Automation lets us prepare triggers to fire on met conditions, like restarting failing services.
  • Alerting is the biggest asset as we can have real-time failure view and predict failures in some cases.
  • Reporting gives us the means to know the state of the art in aggregated views, even providing metrics for our CxOs.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced, substantially, our MTTR, kept our team small and focused, and led to a more controlled budget.

What needs improvement?

Stability regarding upgrades, sometimes impacting database issues. ManageEngine takes good care of its customers and responds quickly.

10+ years.

10 out of 10. They are superb technically, and their development listens to customers.

Yes. Nagios Core. It was more difficult to deploy, needed agents to install on Windows, and lacked a pleasing visual representation of systems and dashboards.

Installation is very easy and has no complexity at all. After installation anyone with IT skills can become an OpManager Admin in just eight days.

I recommend the Essential Edition with the required device packs. The product is free for up to 25 devices and starts at $595.

Yes, Spiceworks. Nice product, but lacked robust features for enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

To have all purchased features available, a Windows base is necessary for product installation. Without that, monitoring and automation thru WMI for Windows will not be available. Works with MySQL or an external MS SQL instance. For performance I recommend an MS SQL instance. Installing a digital certificate is hard (although steps are easy) and doesn't always work first time.