Microsoft Azure Review

Valuable Features:

High availability rate anywherem, anytime. Periodic workloads options let me pay only for the time I have used it. It is easy to backup database via BCP program or tools available on codeplex site. It supports multiple languages such as Java, .NET, Ruby and PHP.

Room for Improvement:

Needs fast Internet connectivity. Fear of being data being hacked or captured.

Other Advice:

We moved our accounting database from an in-house SQL Server to MS Azure cloud and saw a significant increase in performance. We can now connect to the database even while roaming and back it up anywhere, anytime. Data replication services make it highly reliable and always available.

3 Comments

it_user4401VendorPOPULAR

It was a good idea to move to Microsoft Azure cloud, I also don't want to use SQL Server anymore. I have one question for you related to this topic: what is the difference between SQL Azure and SQL Server?

09 June 14
it_user116742Real UserTOP 10

The following features are not supported by Microsoft Azure SQL Database:
• SQL Server Utility, • Master Data Services etc.

09 June 14
it_user78867Real User

SQL Azure is a service, and even it is pretty much the same as a SQL 2012/2014 server, you have to take in mind some considerations that can affect your application or your intentions on what use you will give to the SQL Engine. You can find links on the web that show the basic differences between SQL Server and SQL azure. The principal caveats is the way you can interact with the SQL Azure service and the SQL Transact commands that you can work with at an administrator level. You are limited on this commands and the things that you can accomplish. Also, there are some functionality (like temporary tables) or field types that do not work or exist on SQL Azure.
Also there is a limit on the number of transactions per second that you can realize, it is called throttling, you have to keep in mind that if you expect to do a great amount of transactions per second, SQL Azure could not be the service that you need.
There is also limits on the DB size that SQL Azure can handle. I think that right know this limit is set on 150GB. You can work around this limitation with DB federation, but requires some additional work on your queries side.
For a regular database operations and maintenance, it will fit well. It is a perfect integration for PAAS solutions.

16 June 14