Microsoft Project Server Review

It strikes the fine balance between being a project management tool and a management tool.

What is most valuable?

This product gives the ability to have all project data in one location and look across information while still giving PMs the flexibility to manage their project and have a tool to use with their team (fine balance between project management tool and management tool).

• Views can be controlled organization role.
  • Custom attributes can be added as trigger levels to include in a management report, view or dashboard
  • The use of SharePoint allows team collaboration and gives the PM the flexibility to add document libraries, lists, etc. to manage their project.

How has it helped my organization?

Dashboarding of information has given the organization insight, so we can move to be more proactive versus reactive.

What needs improvement?

Risk Management: Risk and issues are stored in the project SharePoint but there is no real auto communication of assignments (unless the end user sets it up); there is no mechanism for automatic escalation (much needed).

Issues are visible within the application (My issues area) so individuals can log in and see issues assigned to them.

Project Managers can set up email communications when issues change. (Admin can’t do it across the board but individual PMs can set up.)

We flag issues that need to be escalated and use SSRS reports that are emailed out at regular intervals.

I implemented Project Server in November 2014 (and have used MS Project since 2000).

Nintex workflow integration does give us some performance delays. Workflow response times can take up to 20 minutes to proceed to the stage (this is a work-in-progress for our IT team).

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

We used Business Engine Network for 12 years. Business Engine Network was bought by Planview and sunsetted. We were geared up to implement Planview’s product when the opportunity arose for us to look at MS Project Server. While Planview is a great portfolio management tool, its project management is weak.

We used a third-party supplier, Pcubed, for initial setup.

Pricing varies according to many variables (on premise, MS hosted, third-party hosted, etc.)

What other advice do I have?

Having a PM business process in place prior to tool implementation to support that project not only makes it easier to configure the tool but makes it easier to grow the tool and become more mature in your business process.

More Microsoft Project Server reviews from users