Oracle WebCenter Review

You can dynamically create navigation, pages and portals. Some parts seemed unstable.

What is most valuable?

• Java-based content management
  • Runtime customizations

The main feature and idea of dynamically creating navigation, pages and portals are overall good and very valuable. Also, adjusting portal design (skinning) is quite easy. Then there is the WebCenter Content Repository, where you register the file system folder and can manage files of the portal. That feature is quite good too.

Defining permissions and access rights is also quite straightforward, as you can use JavaServer Faces expressions.

How has it helped my organization?

We developed a portal using the framework. Not all of the features were used though.

What needs improvement?

Some parts of the product seemed to be unstable; various exceptions which lead to reaching out for Oracle support. Using WSRP (Web service remote portlets) seems to be messy in terms of application deployment.

I have used it for three years.

I certainly encountered stability issues;

Not sure if they are exactly WebCenter related, but sometimes unknown exceptions were raised on runtime or deployment that could be resolved by restarting the server.

Regarding WSRP: Web Service for remote portlets feature generates metadata
files during deployment so that WSRP portlet can be used.

However, this leads to a situation where the application cannot be packaged and customized via deployment plan, rather it needs to be packaged during deployment.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is decent, but slow.

No content management solutions were used before.

Initial setup was more or less straightforward, as the official IDE - JDeveloper was used.

I was not the one to make decisions. One competitor to consider would be Liferay Portal, for instance.

What other advice do I have?

Become as familiar with the product and features as possible before using it. Custom solutions might be difficult to implement.

11.1.1.7
More Oracle WebCenter reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with OpenText Tempo Social [EOL]
Learn what your peers think about Oracle WebCenter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.