QuickBase Review

The security model is uniquely robust.

What is most valuable?

QuickBase is unique in the PaaS space as it offers a structured development environment with built-in multi-level security, database, forms, reports and API. It's designed as a no-download, zero-hardware, multi-user PaaS solution best suited to medium and large businesses with granular security requirements (requiring application, departmental, role, and task level security) with geographically-distributed user bases. It is structured enough to provide a rock-solid standardized development & security environment, but flexible enough to provide the developer room to accomplish almost anything imaginable including using external APIs. For us, security is absolutely critical, and QuickBase's security model is uniquely robust. We know because we audit their security.

I believe in 2016 QuickBase will emerge as a leader in the no/low-code space primarily due to four key characteristics. To begin with, QuickBase offers a consolidated development paradigm - database, security, forms, reports, and code base (API) all wrapped up in a single no-hardware platform/UX. The second is robust security. QuickBase offers the most integrated, reliable, and flexible security model (realm, group, app, role, table, form, field) of any PaaS tool I've seen. Third, QuickBase presents a very low adoption barrier. From a citizen developer viewpoint, most anyone with a basic understanding of Excel can create a simple, multi-user, distributed enterprise app in QuickBase in hours. Lastly, QuickBase provides developers and experienced users the ability to create extremely complex, ultra secure, reliable, and scalable (100s of concurrent users) distributed enterprise applications. In addition, the QuickBase API provides quick and easy connectivity to legacy applications (often in only minutes), and allows dead simple microservices integration.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization maintains a catalog of more than 35 custom QuickBase applications which produce for us a completely paperless environment. From ERP, to HR, to Electronic Work papers - everything we touch is in QuickBase.

QuickBase powers our entire organization. If we do it, it's in QuickBase. We have scaled from fewer than 70 employees to more than 150, and 7 business lines to double that - in the space of a year. QuickBase has allowed us to adjust our business model real-time to leverage market opportunities and growth.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could use some love at the small business level.

> 9 years

No issues encountered.

No issues for the last three years.

We have 80 simultaneous users, and many companies we speak with have 300, and we haven't had any issues with the scalability.

It's good.

It's very good.

All of our previous custom solutions (MSSQL, .net, etc.) were very difficult and expensive to maintain, scale, and secure. We had a corporate goal of maintaining zero server hardware - and QuickBase met that requirement.

It's a web development environment so it is available (deployed) instantly. We were able to begin using the platform within minutes.

It's hard to place a dollar amount on this. We began with a single app, and have replaced every manual/paper process in the business. A single app internally developed and deployed last year (Electronic Work Papers) is saving us an estimated $75,000 (net) annually.

We began using QuickBase when we had 20 users. We now have 80, and costs have risen as the user count has. QuickBase pricing has also changed, so this is difficult to quantify. Our monthly spend is approximately $3,000-$4,000.

• Caspio
  • Team Desk
  • Custom development

What other advice do I have?

Before you commit, send a developer to QuickBase training.

More QuickBase reviews from users