QuickBase Review

Robust self-service reporting capability and API for extending the native platform functionality.

What is most valuable?

• Speed of development
  • In-memory database functionality
  • Robust security model
  • Robust self-service reporting capability
  • Excellent API for extending the native platform functionality

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients have used this to transform almost every business process, including the following:

• Sales Management: CRM, SFA, lead/opportunity management, and contract management
  • Project/Operations Management: Projects, task management, resource planning, time entry, invoicing, and asset management
  • Financial Management: Sales forecasting, cost management, budget planning/management, billing management, and invoice management
  • HR Management: Recruiting workflow, on board/off board management, training and development management, and associate management
  • Engineering/IT Management: Tracking IT assets, server assets, endpoints, and access controls

What needs improvement?

• The user interface is scheduled for an update
  • Some additional APIs can be added
  • Application lifecycle management process

I have been using the solution for twelve years.

We have not encountered any stability issues. QuickBase is very stable.

Technical support is OK. However, it is much better to work with qualified service personnel who understand your specific implementations and process goals.

We have used several other systems. We switched because QuickBase is so fast and flexible. It can keep up with our ever-changing processes. The total cost of ownership is an extremely good value.

It is very simple to start. The first application can be running in an hour. However, it is robust enough to handle very complex, business critical applications when the design/development is done by experts.

Pricing is very reasonable. QuickBase will negotiate with large enterprise accounts to ensure a good ROI for all.

It is subscription based, which we like as it is good for cash flow. You only pay for a user once and then they have access to as many apps as they want.

We have evaluated far too many platform tools to list. Overall, QuickBase is one of the best values as long as you are OK with having a standard user interface for the most part. In some ways, this is actually a plus, as it is easier to train. For this small tradeoff, they give you so much speed and flexibility. It is a real game changer.

What other advice do I have?

Before you build anything business critical, make sure you work with a QSP. Be ready to roll up your sleeves, as a good app build forces you to define your process if it is not already nailed down.

In my experience, it is never 100%. You have to allow time and budget for making some tweaks along the way as the development forces you to make process decisions.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a top tier QSP with QuickBase and have developed over 500 applications for our clients. We liked QuickBase so much for our business needs, that we started a company to help others use it as well. It can totally transform any business or process.