TestRail by Gurock Review

Reporting in the dashboard is good but it needs customizable dashboards and analytics

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. I use this solution directly and manage it. We use the on-prem model.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the reporting in the dashboard and the general way in which we can create test runs is helpful.

What needs improvement?

The reporting is quite good but there is room for improvement. For example, when you define different test statuses it produces a dashboard and it creates a pie chart and it tells you what percentage is related to each test status, whether it has passed, failed, work in progress, etc. That needs to be user-definable. We should be able to customize how the reporting dashboard displays information.

For example, if I've created a new test and I want to be able to classify that data, most people aren't interested in the granular level of what the test did. They just want to know if it's a pass or fail. This could be improved. We'd like to see more customizable dashboards and analytics.

It needs the ability to delete test results. It offers a granular level of detail but it's a pain. It needs the ability to set the results back to untested. It's a bit bizarre that it doesn't let you do that.

It would be useful if it had its own issue management system. At the moment, it's purely a test management tool and you have to link to a defect management tool, like JIRA. It would be useful if there was an option to use its own defect management tool so that it's integrated and not two separate tools.

Requirements and traceability would also be good additional features to be incorporated into this solution.

I have been using TestRail for around 18 months now.

I've never had stability issues.

In terms of scalability, I don't know how well it scales because I have no view of the concurrent users. We have around 450 users on it running various different projects. Nobody has ever complained about performance issues or anything like that.

We can't easily see how many users are using it though. This is an area of improvement. We can see how many people have an account but we can't see how many are logged in and active.

The users are mainly project managers, test managers, testers, and business SMEs.

I have never needed to contact customer support. I have posted questions on the community page. The community support is good.

I don't have any experience setting it up on-prem. I've done it on the cloud which was very easy. It only took five or so minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would use it again if given the choice. It's a straightforward tool, it's not overly sophisticated. There's not much that can go wrong with it.

One small issue is the integration with JIRA. I've never gotten that to work properly for the issue management. If you're going to implement it, you're going to have to do it with an issue management tool, something like JIRA. I haven't managed to get that working in its entirety.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. It is missing certain features. The integration into JIRA is not that effective and it doesn't have its own defect management tool.