UKG Review

Scalable and useful for our HR and payroll needs, but all pieces don't have the same foundation and don't work together smoothly

What is our primary use case?

We use it for employee maintenance, and we run the payroll on the same software. We also use it for time and attendance.

We got it in 2019, and it is a SaaS solution, so we do get the upgrades. We should be on the same version as everybody else.

How has it helped my organization?

The employee self-service (ESS) feature tops the list, and it has enabled us to process payroll much faster. We used to have two different groups every week. We could consolidate everything, so it has enabled faster payroll processing.

What is most valuable?

The employee self-service feature is most valuable. This is the restaurant industry, and they have a mobile app that allows employees to go in and manage their data. So, employees can manage direct deposit accounts, emergency contacts, and other things in the app. That's definitely the biggest benefit.

What needs improvement?

Certainly, the time and attendance and the payroll integration need a lot of work. They are disjointed pieces, and they don't work smoothly together. That's the main drawback.

I have been using this solution for two years.

I would rate it a seven out of 10 in terms of stability. Sometimes, there are hiccups.

Its scalability is good. I don't see any issue with that at all.

The employee self-service feature is used by all 50,000 employees we have. The HR and payroll administrative users are limited. We have about 100 users for that.

I don't know about the plans to expand its usage. If we expand, the user base will expand too, but, as of now, I don't see it changing.

Their technical support is above average. I would rate them a seven out of 10.

We used Lawson and custom home-built solutions. It was an easy decision to replace our homegrown product, which was difficult to maintain, with an off-the-shelf product.

These implementations are always complex. There is just no other way. So, it was definitely complex. It took us two years.

We used consultants. Our experience with them was definitely positive.

Among the solutions that we evaluated, UKG was the only product that kind of satisfied both HR and payroll needs.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise giving yourself a lot of time to do the foundational work. That's what we did, and that's why it took two years. It is very hard to change anything going forward if you get the foundation wrong.

I would rate UKG a six out of 10. It does have vast room for improvement, mainly because it is not one system built on the same foundation. It has multiple disjointed pieces, and they do not work together smoothly.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More UKG reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about UKG, Workday, ADP and others in Benefits Administration. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.