Unitrends Review

Able to migrate backup solutions without having to purchase a lot of hardware separately. Technical support has not been very helpful when there are complex issues.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a pretty solid backup platform before. I wouldn't say Unitrends made anything better, besides ditching Symantec's per TB licensing model and saving us a lot of money.

What is most valuable?

Being an appliance-based solution, we were able to migrate backup solutions without having to purchase a lot of hardware separately.

What needs improvement?

Support is great for small simple issues, but anything more difficult, it is hard to get good resolutions without having to badger them and their management. I think maybe Unitrends' support teams are too small for the size of their customer base and numbers of incidents.

Issues with one appliance having disk-related issues happens often. There were many issues with this one appliance (with different causes). Another appliance is habitually having issues with archive times to Unitrends Archive device.

I would like one management console for a whole environment that works quickly. It can be done, however anything you look up slows queries down because you might be searching multiple backup appliances at once.

Like any other company, sales will tell you almost anything, but the real proof is when you get it in your environment for a test drive.

Technical support has not been very helpful when there are complex issues. It is sometimes difficult to find someone who can answer questions the right way. I have had tickets that have changed hands, and each person claims to have fixed the issue while there are multiple reasons given for the problem.

Symantec Net Backup: It was too costly.

Initial setup was not difficult, but did require planning.

We implemented through a partner, but much of the work was done by my own team.

Bacula, Rubrik (I think it was too new at that point), and Dell.