What is most valuable?
1. Server performance monitoring:
- Disk utilization
- Memory and CPU utilization
These assist us to manage the storage and and server performance and prepare for incidents.
2. Configuration Manager: This assists us to do switch and router backups for both Cisco and Nexus switch configurations. It makes it easy to configure new devices, in case of a major incident.
3. Actions and Alerts: Set up user emails for notification when devices reach a specific threshold.
4. Device Discovery: This enables us to scan for new devices on the network.
5. Credential Library: Used to ensure a secure connection on the devices and to create new SNMP strings for servers and network devices.
How has it helped my organization?
1. The product has enabled the organization to determine the amount of space required for DB servers within a budget year, which enables them to plan for datacenter storage.
2. It has also enabled us to recover from a disaster within the SLA-stipulated time. in case a switch or router goes down, we have the configs ready for copying and pasting so downtime is minimal.
3. It has helped database and email admins troubleshoot disk space issues fast, in cases where the space of a mail server hits threshold.
What needs improvement?
- Layout maps to include more visibility of devices
- Machine cloning to enable fast machine imaging for both Windows and Mac
For how long have I used the solution?
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
I haven't had any issue with stability, except during the upgrade to 2017 when we encountered slow responses. We rectified the machine specifications to resolve.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
Since we predicted growth of the devices monitored under WUG, the product capability we purchased met our needs; and as we grow it accommodates the changes, so no issues.
How is customer service and technical support?
It's excellent, and the last technical engineer I worked with was amazing. On a scale of 10, I give them a nine.
Which solutions did we use previously?
We had Kiwi as our monitoring system but we purchased WUG because of:
d) its ability to perform many functions, not only monitoring.
How was the initial setup?
I did not encounter any issues, it was straightforward and the documentation was clear on the configuration and setup.
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
For an organization that invests in innovation and worries about its technology performance externally and internally, WUG pricing will be suitable. They will look beyond the prices and licensing. From experience, if it is well utilized it's worth the investment in it.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
With the Ipswitch demonstration of WUG capability, we settled on this product, once we considered decommissioning Kiwi.
What other advice do I have?
It's a good product, and if one has the expertise to use it, it will be a good investment and it will help IT to save and plan for the future.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Sep 18 2017