WhatsUp Gold Overview

WhatsUp Gold is the #11 ranked solution in our list of Infrastructure Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to SolarWinds NPM: WhatsUp Gold vs SolarWinds NPM

What is WhatsUp Gold?
Ipswitch WhatsUp Gold's a layer 2/3 discovery results in a detailed interactive map of your entire networked infrastructure. One affordable license lets you monitor any mix of networks, wireless controllers, servers, virtual machines, applications, traffic flows and configurations across Windows, LAMP and Java environments. It Manage networks, traffic, physical servers, VMs and applications with easy-to-use and customizable maps, dashboards and alerts. WhatsUp Gold streamlines workflows by letting you initiate management tasks directly from the interactive map. Additional Features include: Application Monitoring, Network Traffic Analysis, Configuration Management, Discovery & Network Monitoring, Cloud Monitoring, Virtual Environment Monitoring, Distributed Monitoring and Failover Manager.
WhatsUp Gold Buyer's Guide

Download the WhatsUp Gold Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

WhatsUp Gold Customers

Artoni Trasporti, Austin Independent School District, Banca Marche, Burke County North Carolina, Cambridge University School of Clinical Medicine, Clayco, Community Integrated Care, Desca, Deutsche Bergbau, Flexi-Van, Gropper, Hamleys, Hammonds Furniture, Knowledge IT, Idras S.P.A., Sibeg, Swann Engineering, Trivium Lindenhof

WhatsUp Gold Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about WhatsUp Gold pricing:
  • "The pricing can be on the expensive side when considering competing products."
  • "There are some subscription charges that are quite heavy. I need to pay for support every year and these charges can be quite expensive. Aside from the initial cost for the tool, you need to pay additionally for support."

EW
IKT Konsulent at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Great interface but has no end to end monitoring from a user perspective

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for server performance.

• "The interface in the last few years it has been a lot greater, they are much more user-friendly. I like the interface."
  • "One of the biggest things that made us start to look at another product is we're not able to have an end to end monitoring from a user perspective throughout the system and back to the user. All the monitoring is from inside out, we need something that also can give us from outside in."

What other advice do I have?

I would give the solution a seven out of 10. It does what it's supposed to do so if the product fulfills your needs I have no problem recommending the product. I'm currently looking at changing it to another solution because it's not giving us what we want it to give us, though I've not been disappointed with it. We probably haven't made an optimum installation, which probably added to giving us not the full experience. We're not using it for the networking performance, we're not using the flow monitor. We are running the next biggest one so we have all the plugins. The only thing we do not…
JP
IT Senior Systems Administrator at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
Old, clunky, and with unresponsive support, this product touches the basics but not in style

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is just for monitoring the host servers, the virtual machines, the network equipment, and the storage. It covers all the basics.

• "It handles the basics of monitoring."
  • "It is stable."
  • "The product is old and not updated."
  • "The interface needs some work."
  • "The technical support does not bother to respond."

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend WhatsUp Gold to people who were considering it as a solution. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate WhatsUp Gold as a four or five. Really, it is a four-out-of-ten.
Learn what your peers think about WhatsUp Gold. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JS
Network Engineer at a government with 51-200 employees
An easy initial setup with good documentation and a good interface on the older model

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to check the state of the network. We have thousands of devices to manage and control. We monitor all of the internal network with the solution. It is the first tool we use to see the state of the network for real-time monitoring.

• "The documentation is very good."
  • "The licensing model could be improved. Right now, the levels are too far apart. This causes the solution to be more expensive than it needs to be."

What other advice do I have?

We use an older version of WhatsUp Gold. The change of the interface of the tool was too hard for some people of our team and they didn't want the new interface. We have all of the infrastructure on our data centers. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.
Anwar AL_Omari
IT Manager at Saba Islamic Bnak
Good at monitoring the network and keeps us up to date on the status of internal devices

What is our primary use case?

We use WhatsUp gold for network monitoring.

• "This is a good, stable network monitoring solution for devices."
  • "Adding on services increases the cost and on the version we have there is no option for ATM monitoring."

What other advice do I have?

Most of the companies we want to provide assistance to are banks that are looking to monitor their ATMs. We provide services to insurance companies from Pakistan and the price is very expensive. So, having the ability to serve banks better will be very, very good for us because and most of the bank will bring their business to us if we have the ATM monitoring feature. On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate WhatsUp Gold as a nine because it is good at what it does. For what it does, it is almost a ten. But obviously, for us, it cannot do everything…
Yevhen Ikonnykov
Senior Software Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 501-1,000 employees
Feature-rich with a good user interface

What is our primary use case?

We use it for network discovery. It is just one of the features it provides, but it's basically the only feature we use.

• "The user interface is good enough."
  • "We can never achieve or get a good picture of the network topology."

What other advice do I have?

The decision on whether we will continue to use this solution or not is up to our manager, but in terms of projects, I don't think that we will continue to use this solution. It will be dropped. I would rate WhatsUp Gold an eight out of ten.
MR
Manager at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Monitors the network database and the GUI is improved

What is our primary use case?

• "I use it on premises to monitor my network database. We monitor the link up/down and use the SNMP traps as well."
  • "I think there are a few bugs now. Although they give some resolution for this, we cannot share the network remotely because of our company policy."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend WhatsUp Gold. I would rate it eight out of ten. Although the features are nice, it is quite expensive. It's not cost-effective.
AB
Information Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy configuration and installation that's scalable

• "The installation and configuration process are easy."
  • "Users want SMS available via Whatsapp Gold. They don't want to go through third party SMS servers. The solution should work to make this possible."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. In Turkey, clients don't want to use the cloud. We're a distributor of the product in Turkey. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
SK
Head of IT Infrastructure at Coca Cola
Good for monitoring network bandwidth and device health

What is our primary use case?

We use WhatsUp Gold for monitoring.

• "The most valuable features are network bandwidth monitoring and monitoring device health."
  • "Integrations with other devices. I want to have a product that has full integration with my active directory so I can track user activity. I want to track my complete user activity, so I'm looking for a product to implement in the near future, which will have full integration with my network and active directory users. It became very difficult to track user activity."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product. I would rate it as eight of ten.
Download our free WhatsUp Gold Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.