WhatsUp Gold Review

Topology discover feature enables us to define the topology of our sites

What is our primary use case?

We use WhatsUp Gold primarily for its monitoring survey.

We use this product every time because we have a map in our network operating center, with many hundreds of sites. WhatsUp Gold provides a visual state, as well as program alerts by email.

How has it helped my organization?

The visual map and email alerts are very useful to have in real time so we always know the state of our network.

What is most valuable?

All the basic functions are valuable. It is easy to access and discover devices.

We need this solution to check all of our network devices. We have about 2,464 devices so it's impossible to check them all manually.

The topology discover is also a useful feature because we use this to define the topology of our sites.

What needs improvement?

The price could be improved. When we first started using this product, the company was new. The prices were very low then, in comparison with HP OpenView or IBM, but now the policy is too high, relative to the number of devices we have.

We don't need all the features, and we don't use the tool for the large scale services intended for large data centers. We use it only for the network devices, switches, routers, but now most of the new features are related to data centers and high-end devices. This is not useful for us.

The features are working fine, and the features for the new models are very interesting, but it's not possible to have this at this price policy for us. It might be good for business, but it's not good for us.

We have asked to have another policy price and look at step prices because if you buy a version for 200 devices, 1,000 devices, or 4,000 devices, there should be different prices. I think it would be better to have a linear price list. This isn't only a problem for WhatsUp. It's the problem of many other products too.

We've been using WhatsUp Gold for twenty years.

It's very stable. If you follow the hardware requirements of memory size and CPU size, even if you have a very big database the processors will work hard, but only for a short time span.

In my team area, we are seven people using this product. It's only the network team.

We don't have any issues that needed technical support.

We have worked for years with CiscoWorks. We switched because Cisco built CiscoWorks, and the product wasn't supported anymore by Cisco, at which point it was impossible to upgrade to the new versions of our server.

This tool is very easy to configure and use. No, it's not complex.

It took a very short time to set up this product because it's easy to install and discover devices. I don't remember exactly how long it took to install, but it was less than a day. Keep in mind, though, that in the past the product was easier to install.

We do the work ourselves, without using a vendor to implement.

I'm not sure about the exact price, but it's expensive. We don't pay any additional fees.

We have evaluated the module for the backup of the network configurations for the devices. We have other network monitoring tools also, such as PRTG Network Monitor and NetFlow Collector. In addition, we have the Prime software from Cisco for the AP monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate WhatsUp Gold as eight out of ten. The graphical framework is old. The new graphical framework with the last version is very good, but for young people, this framework is not the best in the world.