WhatsUp Gold Review

The automatic monitoring and customized mapping help our customers to proactively solve network problems

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor for this solution, and our clients use it to monitor network devices and applications. For example, they monitor switches, routers, and Brouters. We provide demonstrations and POCs for this solution to potential customers.

How has it helped my organization?

This automatic monitoring feature helps us to be proactive. We no longer have to manually search for problems because we are alerted when something in the network goes down. Once an alert is received, the appropriate action is taken. This might include forwarding it to first level support, second level support, or sending a message.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is definitely the map layout. You can have a customized mapping for all of your network devices, and you can monitor them. When you get a red sign then you know that something is wrong, and you can find and resolve the problem.

What needs improvement?

The are some bugs, as well as some features that need to be improved and developed further.

Six years.

This product is quite stable, provided that you have the correct server requirements. From time to time they release new updates, such as a service pack.

The scalability of this solution is quite good.

We have several clients, and our largest one is a hotel with four to five branches around the country. We currently have approximately five hundred network devices being monitored.

I am really happy with the product, support-wise.

We handle the first level of support for our customers. If it is an issue that I cannot resolve then I open a ticket with the vendor directly to the second level of support. My only complaint is the sometimes it takes a long time to respond, where I can normally expect an answer in twenty-four to forty-eight hours.

We offer PRTG Network Monitor as an alternative solution to our customers, some of whom choose this because of the lower cost.

The initial setup for this solution is pretty straightforward.

The deployment is quite easy, provided that you have set your SNMP credentials.  You complete your mapping and you can finish your deployment in ten minutes.

We handle the deployment of this solution for our clients.

The pricing for this solution has gone up quite recently, which has led some of our customers to buy an alternative product.

There are different versions of WhatsUp Gold, including the premium and standalone versions. The choice of version depends on the number of points, or devices, that you want to monitor, and this makes the product expensive. The licensing fees are normally billed on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to try out and use the evaluation version, which is free for thirty days. In case you encounter an issue then the support is there.

If you have made the decision to buy the product then I would suggest purchasing it from a certified WhatsUp Gold partner.

We use the solution on a daily basis and I am happy with it, but no product is perfect.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.