Worksoft Certify Review

I don't need to be an expert to use it; anyone can use it

What is our primary use case?

We have automated quite a number of test cases in last year.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a weekly release. A weekly release means every week that we have testing going on. The particular year where we started is called the asset management area. We could never run our Intuit testing, and we have a whole lot of Intuit testing. This one product helped us pass the testing with the Nighthawk testing, which is working on the Nighthawk manager. That's the one that we use. We can switch it on in the night and run the testing, then come back in the morning and see what has been completed. If there is any fail, we can even analyze it. We can use the evidence document to pass it on to development team to tell them, "This is where we failed."

It has improved on our defect management time. It has improved our test execution time. I don't need to manage these things, just sit somebody down to look at how the script runs. There are a lot of ways that it has helped us.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to maintain. With scripts, I can change one line and in one step. Whatever I want, I can do. I don't need to be an expert to use it. Being a manager without a whole lot of technical knowledge, like an automation person, I can change Worksoft using what I learned during the training. That's what I like about it. Anybody can do automation.

I love the Capture 2.0 feature. When you are doing a normal manual testing, go ahead and switch on the Capture 2.0 feature, then capture everything and pass it on to your teams who can convert them quickly into test automation. With this feature, it is saving our automation creation time by about 60 to 70 percent. It is also helping our manual testing time in terms of catching all the evidence documents. 20 to 25 percent time is being saved because of this product and Capture 2.0 feature and what we are receiving with the good documentation.

What needs improvement?

I would expect more opportunities to automate Java.

I would like it to analyze what we are not using.

I would like to see the impact analysis integrated with the performance testing tool. We have multiple tools doing multiple items. I would like to have one common tool.

I'm also interested in load testing automation and whether we can create a script for it, then can we use the same script for my performance testing?

Less than one year.

Stability is quite good when compared to other things. I don't want to say it gets 100 percent rate in terms of stability, because I'm using this for about ten to ten and a half months right now. It has been close to a year, but I'm really amazed when comparing it to any other tool that I have used in the past.

I don't have the words to express its scalability besides awesome. The amount of changes that we have seen are tremendous.

We don't use them frequently, just when we have an issue. I would rate the technical support a seven out of ten. Most of the team is good and helpful. However, I would like them to evaluate the issues a little more sometimes before escalating them to engineering.

We were previously using Micro Focus UFT. The tool was good, and we did not have a lot of problems with it. The only problem was SAP changes a lot of things every time. The frequent changes were causing a lot of issues for us in terms of automation. We were able to automate many things, but the maintenance was a big problem for us.

1. You needed to have a person who had the coding knowledge to do it.
  2. The frequent changes made the scripts useless. Then, we would have to come back and redo a lot of things.

This is where we were looking for a product where we could have minimum maintenance that anybody can automate. This is the concept why we came into Worksoft.

We used Worksoft team initially. That helped us through the setup and other things. They did a great job. We probably automated about 275 tests in less than five weeks, including the setup.

I suggest people go head and use Worksoft, along with their services, when you buy the tool. They will help you to onboard it quickly and set it up for you. They will do lot of the automations. They will help you with lot of these practices, then you can take it over from there.

We have seen ROI.

By using automation, it reduced about 75 percent of the time when compared to any other tool. The changes for Worksoft used the same script as the script automating UFT. Manually, running our tool takes about 4 hours, but with Worksoft, we were able to do it in less than 30 minutes. Whereas, the same thing that you had to do would take you almost 55 minutes to an hour. There is now a 50 percent savings in terms of other automation tools and an 85 percent savings in terms of manual to automation.

We have seen more than 40 to 50 percent reduction, in terms of all around time, where we were doing five days a week for a major maintenance testing of our first cycle. We have reduced it down to three days now. So, that is a 40 percent savings which we are seeing. We are not completely automated because we are still doing sampling. We have just automated a good 40 percent of our things. When we go to 80 to 100 percent, it will reduce 60 to 80 percent of our time, which is what we are looking for.

We looked at Panaya, but Panaya is not a desk automation tool. We are using Panaya for some of our impact analysis.

We did try with Selenium and many other vendors. A lot of other tools have a small test director that we tried. The ease in using this tool is very good because our business team can go in and use it. So, anybody can record for me and capture. Then, we have a very small team of automation testers who can convert the information immediately into a reusable component, parameterize it, and do the records sets. In that way, with a very small set of test automated guys, we can do much more.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution already to my colleagues worldwide.

We run this on seven different multiple applications. It starts from SAP, goes to the UI, comes back to SAP for violations, and then goes to mainframe for validation. Then, we use Java Web as a Java. After that, there is another HDM which we try to validate. Also, we are trying to validate a third-party application using it, because we have used a lot of their components trying to do a mock type of filing import/export option with the tool.

We have used this solution for web UI testing, as we are on SAP Web UI 5.0 right now. We use this very heavily right now in our asset management area. It is very easy to use. The Capture 2.0 together with it is helping us, because we are now able to recognize some objects through Capture 2.0. We also have LiveTouch. This is another advantage where you can use this to capture multiple items at a time.

1 Comment
Prashant Kawathkar MBA, CIPM, ITILReal User

Totally in agreement with Manjunath. Good article with relevant questions that are important for every business planning to automate its complex business scenarios.

09 May 19