AppDynamics Overview

AppDynamics is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile APM tools. It is most often compared to Dynatrace: AppDynamics vs Dynatrace

What is AppDynamics?

AppDynamics is the Application Intelligence company. With AppDynamics, enterprises have real-time insights into application performance, user performance and business performance so they can move faster in an increasingly sophisticated, software-driven world. AppDynamics’ integrated suite of applications is built on its innovative, enterprise-grade App iQ Platform that enables its customers to make faster decisions that enhance customer engagement and improve operational and business performance. AppDynamics is uniquely positioned to enable enterprises to accelerate their digital transformations by actively monitoring, analyzing and optimizing complex application environments at scale.

AppDynamics is also known as AppD, AppDynamics APM.

AppDynamics Buyer's Guide

Download the AppDynamics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

AppDynamics Customers

Cisco, Sony, Nasdaq, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, Edmunds.com, Puma, Fox News, DirecTV, Pizza Hut, T-Systems, Cornell University, OpenTable, BITMARCK, Green Mountain Power, Care.com, Overstock, Paddy Power, eHarmony, Kraft, The Motley Fool, The Container Store, and more

See more customers

AppDynamics Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AppDynamics pricing:
  • "This solution is not the cheapest but it works well. You will end up doing more work with a cheaper solution than if you just spent the extra money on a better solution like this one."
  • "As compared to other applications, its price is moderate. Its price is neither very high nor very low."

WS
IT Operations Executive at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Great dashboards, with good SAP monitoring but needs to be more reasonably priced

What is our primary use case?

We use the product heavily in our ecosystem. The prime focus for our consumption is for Telkom - a telco and also the mother company. Telkom bought Business Connexion, the company that I fall into. The IT company, BCX, belongs to Telkom. The current real estate that we're responsible for, in Telkom, that we support and maintain on their behalf, is using AppDynamics. We use it for application performance monitoring alongside Foglight, which we would like to replace.

• "The SAP monitoring element is very helpful."
  • "The cost element is an issue. I can't expect the company to change its way of work. However, given the fact that we earn and do all our business in South African Rand, I would prefer to buy in Rand as opposed to the American dollar or British pound."

What other advice do I have?

We are an IT company. We are selling this to the market as well. We have a strong relationship with AppDynamics through Cisco. We're a reseller of the product. We have a stronger relationship with AppDynamics, both currently and over the years, to the exclusion of all alternatives. We're using AppDynamics from an application performance monitoring point of view. I'm not sure if we are currently on the latest version of the solution, however, it's my understanding that we're either are or will be moving to the latest version of the solution. We bought the Dynamics cloud instance. It's likely…
Sid Roy
Vice President - Operations & Client Support at Scicom Infrastructure Services
We've had experience using Dynatrace, CA & Gomez but AppDynamics excels in terms of implementation, footprint & overhead.

What is our primary use case?

Extensive use cases, dozens of primary and secondary use cases ranging from core application monitoring at the global level to micro level performance analysis at the transaction level. AppD provides the ability to also manage total interactions at the web/mobile browser level, the database and core infrastructure including server level and L4 network.

• "Despite dozens of deployments across hundreds of applications- we have yet to see a case where AD is negatively impacting application execution or functionality."
  • "Additional support for NextGen mobile platforms also needs to be high in the roadmap prioritizations"

What other advice do I have?

Basically, you can't over-speak importance of deployment, configuration and infrastructure footprint because what happens is that people get excited when they see the output of various products (such as Dynatrace or CA Wiley). They say, "wow, it's very powerful, we've never had visibility, we're going to implement at all costs." Then they buy the solution and they realize they need 5X the amount of servers, a lot of storage, experts to manage it, etc.
Learn what your peers think about AppDynamics. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.
UA
Head Of Information Technology at a mining and metals company with 11-50 employees
Great for finding bottlenecks, and offers good stability but is quite expensive

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for effective application monitoring.

• "The solution helps us save a lot of time on certain tasks."
  • "The cloud licensing needs to be improved. It's quite pricey."

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We're always using the latest version of the solution. It's SaaS-based and therefore it is consistently updated immediately as new versions are ready for release. We don't need to manually handle the process. We use AppDynamics' own cloud. We don't use a third-party cloud. The one area of concern for me is the cost. There are other options - including open-source options. Overall, I'd rate the solution at a serve out of ten. I'd rate it higher if the solution's price was better.
DavidGrudek
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Beneficial application analysis, highly scalable, and great ROI

What is our primary use case?

We have an application that we have made which is the core of our business. In many cases, new code comes out or there is older code that gets mixed with newer code and you will see slowdowns or problems that can happen. This solution gatherings all this different pertinent information about how long a particular piece of code sits in what stack of the application. When you have a slowdown or an issue is happening, you can look through the application processes step by step. You can find out where the application was lagging behind. Most recently, we had a problem with some SQL queries that… more »

• "I have found the main feature of the solution to be its ability to analyze an application's code to see where there are issues. Additionally, it is easy to use and configure."
  • "There are too many installers available for this solution."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others wanting to purchase this solution it is well worth the money. If you look at the quantity of time it takes you to track down a problem versus doing it the old-fashioned way, the amount of time saved by using a solution like this helps you move forward more quickly. I rate AppDynamics a ten out of ten.
JG
Senior Director : Database Infrastructure and Site Reliability at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Straightforward to set up, good for building dashboards and is quite stable

What is our primary use case?

The big problem we've always had is connecting the dots, so to speak. We've never been able to say that the application is having an issue before somebody calls us and tells us, and that's extremely embarrassing. Plus we're a little late to the table. With AppDynamics, you can be able to tell whether they're having errors or whether they're having a slow response time.

• "The release management capabilities are great."
  • "The training on the dashboards that is provided could be a little bit better, as could the use cases. They should have some good examples out there. As it is right now, I had to scour YouTube to find some stuff."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those considering the solution to be patient and stick with it. A lot of these tools are pretty simple, however, they're simply used. For instance, they measure CPU and network and memory and stuff like that. The graphics may be pretty flashy, however, it doesn't provide the hardcore data that AppDynamics does. That's why you need to kind of just relax and stay with it a bit and you'll be successful. If you're just looking for something flashy to give you back immediate results that you can use today or tomorrow, it's probably not the right fit. I'd rate the solution at a nine…
AnandYadav
Sr Technical Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides a lot of insights, helps to track down a lot of issues, and works well out of the box

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for performance management. We are using its latest version. Right now, we are in the adoption stage. We are going through the training process, and slowly we will start using it. Initially, a team of 50 people will be using AppDynamics. Our goal is that all teams use AppDynamics so that we can benefit from it.

• "From the performance management side, I like everything from business transaction work to tracking. On the database side, we can get a lot of insights from the database. On the server monitoring side, it helped us a lot to find out some of the issues on the VM side because VMs were creating a little trouble for us."
  • "At this time, we don't have much visibility on the virtual environment, monitoring, and all other things. We have visibility only for database monitoring, and we have noticed performance impact when deploying database agents on the database server. We got to know this from AppDynamics support also that we should not deploy database agents from the database server. When agents are deployed on the same server and the database is monitored from there, we are not getting database server metrics. Therefore, we don't have those insights, and sometimes, we struggle because of that. They can improve this functionality so that we do not have a performance impact, and we can deploy anywhere. This would help us a lot. In terms of end-user monitoring, currently, it is not working for us because there are some complexities. It is a little complicated, and it takes a little bit of time to understand where you need to make changes. It would be very helpful if they can provide some template designs for end-user monitoring. When our servers are running on VMs, we don't get many insights from the VM side. I don't know whether it is possible to have visibility beyond the database, server, and application and whether there are some features where we can deploy AppDynamics on VMs as well. Such functionality would give us more control over storage, VM, OS, and database. It will also provide complete visibility of our hardware and software."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very much recommended tool. It is a really good and helpful tool for productivity. I would rate AppDynamics a nine out of ten. I love this tool, and I don't have any issues with this tool.
Oguz Mutlu
Sr. Devops Engineer at a media company with 201-500 employees
Moderate price, has a lot of extensions for third-party applications, and helpful for checking all errors and performance issues in our environment

What is our primary use case?

I am using this product to monitor all microservice environments. I check all services and performance issues and implement some alerts and dashboards. We are also monitoring all applications that are not in a microservices environment. They are in a WebLogic environment. So, we use it to monitor WebLogic applications, Tomcat applications, and microservice applications that are running in the OpenShift environment or Kubernetes environment.

• "The ability to check parameters for microservice applications is most valuable. It is important for me. I can manually create new business transactions for applications and individually monitor business transactions. I can also use a lot of extensions. It has a lot of extensions to monitor other third-party applications, such as NoSQL applications, memory cache applications, Kafka applications, and Couchbase applications. It is very useful. We are also using the end-user monitoring site to follow all end-user activities. It is important for us to check the errors on the customer site."
  • "We constantly need to improve our alert mechanism because we get a lot of false-positive alerts. These are not real errors. In addition, for end-user monitoring, sometimes, we are not able to catch all user activities. Because of not being able to follow the user activity from the start to the end, we are missing out on the performance issues."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend doing a central configuration for agent installation. It is really easy to run when we are upgrading our agents. The standard installation is good in my opinion. I would rate AppDynamics an eight out of ten.
Ashish Jaiswal
Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A stable tool with good monitoring features and support portal

What is our primary use case?

We work in the banking industry and we deal with business transactions, including responses for the users. We capture all of the traffic in our AppDynamics platform. It is a really good application tool.

• "This is a stable product and we definitely plan to continue using it in the future."
  • "More native support for other hardware is needed because having to install various extensions and perform extra setup for different devices is really challenging, and not as easy or straightforward as it is in other products."

What other advice do I have?

This is absolutely a product that I would recommend to other users. I can see a lot of people are interested in using AppDynamics. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 10 more AppDynamics Reviews
Download our free AppDynamics Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.