AppDynamics Overview

AppDynamics is the #2 ranked solution in our list of APM tools. It is most often compared to Dynatrace: AppDynamics vs Dynatrace

What is AppDynamics?

AppDynamics is the Application Intelligence company. With AppDynamics, enterprises have real-time insights into application performance, user performance and business performance so they can move faster in an increasingly sophisticated, software-driven world. AppDynamics’ integrated suite of applications is built on its innovative, enterprise-grade App iQ Platform that enables its customers to make faster decisions that enhance customer engagement and improve operational and business performance. AppDynamics is uniquely positioned to enable enterprises to accelerate their digital transformations by actively monitoring, analyzing and optimizing complex application environments at scale.

AppDynamics is also known as AppD, AppDynamics APM.

AppDynamics Buyer's Guide

Download the AppDynamics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

AppDynamics Customers

Cisco, Sony, Nasdaq, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, Edmunds.com, Puma, Fox News, DirecTV, Pizza Hut, T-Systems, Cornell University, OpenTable, BITMARCK, Green Mountain Power, Care.com, Overstock, Paddy Power, eHarmony, Kraft, The Motley Fool, The Container Store, and more

See more customers

AppDynamics Video

AppDynamics Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Aimee White
Info Sec Consultant at Size 41 Digital
ExpertTop 5
Jan 16, 2019
Enables us to edit config files easily and make reports our own

What is our primary use case?

When you have a lot of AWS products running (and integrations connected to them) the only way you can monitor them is to have a system or automatic reporting. Cisco AppDynamics gives lots of "extensions" that collect metrics and feed them back to an AD controller so you can get a picture of health, usage, rules, and reporting. It also works across environments from cloud to traditional, which means you don’t need something for AWS and then something for in-house products.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to take a report, and in particular, a visual, and link it to actual application performance and then the consequences. This means you can show how an incident or action has an effect on the business."
  • "It could do with more than one data centre/multiple AWS accounts in a pane of glass. Also, improved scalability to large environments would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

We chose to procure this solution via the AWS Marketplace because you don’t need to buy physical hardware to use it. I would rate the solution at nine out of ten because you can edit the config files easily and make the reports your own. Also, it supports loads of AWS products: S3, Elastic MapReduce, EC2, DynamoDB, ELB, RDS, Route 53, etc.
SeniorSofcae
Senior Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Jan 13, 2019
Traces are aggregated and organized, making it faster and easier to troubleshoot, to find a code hotspot

What is our primary use case?

We use multiple APMs, but for smaller projects AppDynamics is too cost-prohibitive. It is a more expensive APM among the competitors, which is fine because it also does a lot more on the auto-detection and the AI side. It also supports a lot more languages. So whenever we hit a project that has the budget and the need, we look to use AppDynamics, especially if the technologies are complicated. If somebody has a very simple two-tier Python or Node, we can use almost any APM. When we're dealing with somebody who has 50 or 60 tiers, some traditional stuff, some microservices; some stuff is in… more »

• "In AppDynamics, everywhere I go, there's some sort of grouping and aggregation function, or there's some sort of timeline that lets me zero in more quickly on the traces that I need. They go to more pains to aggregate and bubble the important ones to the top. That removes a lot of manual work."
  • "I would like to see something that lets me set real dollar figures, not just to outages, but to the solutions as well... when I'm looking at problems and have found a problem that I know I need to address. I could flag it off and have AppDynamics estimate how long a person would have taken to find that without it. That would give me a lot of leverage for justifying the existence of APM, which I really need."

What other advice do I have?

I see a lot of people migrate towards one product in particular in the market and they never really try the other APM vendors. They'll look at the page and they'll look at the price, but sometimes you just have to pay a little more. Importantly, it's the features that you get that make it worth it. I won't name the new products, the ones people migrate towards a lot - especially developers, it seems like that cohort instantly likes them - but AppDynamics and a couple of the other ones as well are really good for production. AppDynamics, in particular, excels on that. Don't just install…
Find out what your peers are saying about AppDynamics, Dynatrace, Broadcom and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: January 2021.
455,536 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Carl Brahms Jr
Engineer at United Airlines
Jan 13, 2019
Agents have low CPU overhead compared to other agent-based products we have tried

What is our primary use case?

Monitor 1000's of .NET, Java, Node.js, and Go applications using an auto-discovering agent-based tool.

• "Autodiscovery of application topology, based on real user traffic."
  • "The GUI can be overwhelming at first to a novice Dev or Ops support person, and the possible root causes of an issue do not bubble up to the first screen you see."

What other advice do I have?

RUM, synthetics, mobile, network, and browser analytics make this a well-rounded tool.
Theodore Turner
Cloud Operations Monitoring - Senior Software Engineer at Intuit Inc.
Jan 9, 2019
I see plenty of benefits in using AppD for any old school build of applications, but transactions are not collected across the board when architected with micro services

What is our primary use case?

Java application instrumentation across a microservices architecture build.
Vp1165
Vice President at Works Applications Co., Ltd.
Dec 31, 2018
We set up alerts recently so we can fix any issues more quickly in production

What is our primary use case?

We use it for service level monitoring. Currently, we use AWS. Recently, we started using Serverless AWS as we use communities for all our other services. For containers, we use Serverless AWS, and we use databases, like Cassandra Aurora. The product integrates well with all of them.

• "We previously had an operations team continuously monitoring applications. Now, they just have set things up and our developers can monitor, view, and act on them, accordingly."
  • "We set up alerts recently so we can fix any issues more quickly in production."
  • "They are using Flash for their website, which is very slow. We had hoped the website would be much faster to use, and that is definitely what we want to see."
  • "Their agents sometimes claim to be very lightweight, especially with databases, but they are very heavy. They can take up more compute than the actual work that we need to do."

What other advice do I have?

Depending on your use case, this is only a monitoring solution. If you don't have an in-house logging solution, or if your primary use case is to debug, you should consider choosing other alternatives. If only you want monitoring, AppDynamics will do. We are only using the AWS version.
DevOpsEn55fd
DevOps Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 26, 2018
We can monitor our applications with better accuracy

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for monitoring. Our applications are in AWS, and the monitoring system is part of AppDynamics.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to monitor our applications more accurately.

What is most valuable?

It has better dashboards and more control over everything.

The stability is fine. We have had downtime. However, we do receive alerts when we have downtime. Downtime has been the result of config, application, or cord issues.

The scalability is good.

We were previously using Dynatrace,…
Software628a
Software Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Dec 25, 2018
We can dive deeply into the product to see what is happening by troubleshooting, debugging, and monitoring

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring log and statistics using graphs to see how we are monitoring our network traffic, and whether systems are healthy or not.

• "The most valuable feature is having our services being available and healthy."
  • "Sometimes, it is hard to navigate through and find if something is wrong or figure out where an error stemmed from."
Shekhar Sharma
Principal Engineer at Wyndham Hotel Group
Dec 13, 2018
It provides all the monitoring that we need in one place

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is everything related to monitoring.

• "It provides everything into one view, so we can track information from one place to another."
  • "The integration with cloud services is still pending with AppDynamics. We would like the product to be serverless."

What other advice do I have?

It provides all the features that we need for on-premise applications. The product integrates with all of our applications, because it has be deployed on all the servers so it can collect data. AWS has not provided us the code. They will be moving it to their AWS services later. Right now, it is providing us a framework, like with Java. The AWS agents are able to capture all the information related at the code label, which is a benefit for us. Right now, this tool is very good for on-premise applications, but there might be an issue with cloud applications.
Jordi Llorens
IT Manager at Privalia.com
Dec 4, 2018
Its graphical configuration is very intuitive for our teams to work on

What is our primary use case?

If we have an issue, it is useful for finding the root cause of incidences. So, we use it for troubleshooting.

• "The real user monitoring helps us evaluate our customers' real experiences, which is valuable as an eCommerce company."
  • "I would like them to change their business model for scalability to accommodate growing companies. The business model should be more flexible."

What other advice do I have?

AppDynamics is doing a very good job. We used it on-premise, then moved to AWS. On-premise is very similar to using AWS.
Gary Sun
Technical Director at SoftPro
Reseller
Oct 23, 2018
Helps to quickly triage problems. Its cost can be improved.

What is our primary use case?

For monitoring application performance: I worked for a company which concentrates on application performance consulting service. Cisco AppDynamics was one of the tools used.

How has it helped my organization?

Quickly triaging problems: Before using the APM tool, I had no adequate information about the application's detail.  APM tool provides comprehensive information about several elements like performance, errors, and resources.

What is most valuable?

Stack information: I use this function to explain the problem to customers most of the time.

What needs improvement?

Its cost: Most of the customers do not have enough budget to deploy the APM agent to their whole applications.

GlobalLead24
Global Lead Architect at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Aug 30, 2018
We can monitor applications and proactively address issues like memory leaks and CPU utilization

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to monitor our applications and get a handle on any issues ahead of time, such as memory leaks, complete utilization of CPU, and the need to spin up a new server. Being able to know all of these things ahead of time and act on them is a primary requirement. And once an application is placed on top of that, we would also like to monitor what's happening with the application The solution is doing great.

• "Being able to install it on-prem and monitor our on-prem infrastructure is important for us... Most of our infrastructure is on-prem. We have highly scalable systems and AppDynamics will help us monitor our load on-prem. Our systems range from simple to the most complex and it gives us the visibility across transactions, in one dashboard."
  • "I would like to be able to monitor both cloud an on-prem infrastructures, displayed in one dashboard."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, I would ask you to have criteria. Most of the time there will be some general aspects that are pretty common, that are covered by the various third-parties that provide industry ratings. But within that, you have to have customization of the features to match to your own infrastructure, the technical stack you have: mainframes, ICDs, modern platforms, cloud, etc. You need to compare the tools that work with your technical stack. The most important criteria, for me, when selecting a vendor are * flexible pricing * full coverage of monitoring of our technical stack, both…
it_user823356
Performance Test / QA Architect at Virtustream
Jun 7, 2018
It catches issues quickly and fixes them, but the cost is prohibitive

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor the load testing environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization with its ability to catch issues quickly and fix them.

What is most valuable?

Code profiling Monitoring

What needs improvement?

The cost is prohibitive.

it_user877233
IT FrontOffice & QA Manager at VENCA
May 27, 2018
Used to test customer behavior on a website. The QA and test environment need improvement.

What is our primary use case?

Testing the customer behavior to learn their problems on a website, the heatmap flow, and other information.

What needs improvement?

IT department Software production Test environment QA testing KPIs of the business Heatmap An APM

Trial/evaluations only.

What other advice do I have?

This tool is so good to work with.
it_user858033
Manger Sr, IT Program Mgmt. at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
Apr 30, 2018
We are able to correlate performance between tiers

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is application performance monitoring. It performs well.

• "It has improved my organization because we are able to proactively and reactively look at performance issues."
  • "We are able to correlate performance between tiers."
  • "It needs strengthening in the database tiers."

What other advice do I have?

Look at the whole picture. Take into consideration what you get for specific pricing models and how much it costs to add on things you may need later. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: cost.
it_user799947
Senior Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
Jan 22, 2018
Has helped us to increase customer acquisitions and reduce revenue leakage

What is our primary use case?

For customer journey monitoring: Stitch together complex journeys involving the entire ecosystem (internal through external IT) and multiple stakeholders.

• "Has helped us to increase customer acquisitions and reduce revenue leakage."
  • "There needs to be an option to capture all the sessions for all the users, not just samplings."
it_user560475
Lead Configuration Management Specialist at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 22, 2017
Provides valuable metrics and integrates with other systems

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to my colleagues that they start using it as soon as possible for their applications.
it_user560535
Programmer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 20, 2017
Gives the devs more visibility and ownership but Power User training was unhelpful

What other advice do I have?

My criteria when choosing a vendor would be the reputation behind them, the product they bring to the table, and of course the pricing. I wasn't involved in selecting AppDynamics but I know that these criteria always play a role in everything. I would recommend AppDynamics to my colleagues, because the solution works. It really comes down to whether or not the price point works for them.
it_user560403
Application Architect at T2 systems
Nov 20, 2017
lets us quickly diagnose customer problems that occurred in production

What other advice do I have?

AppDynamics does exactly what I want it to do. It diagnoses problems quickly so if one of our customers is having problems, we can tell him what's slow and maybe find a solution within a couple of hours. Customers don't mind if you have occasional problems, as long as you can fix them quickly. If it goes on for weeks and weeks, then they start getting annoyed. It is nice to be able to tell them, "This is what happened. This is why it happened. And this is what we did to fix it." If a colleague of mine was researching AppDynamics I would get them to install it; use the evaluation copy and see…
it_user522015
DBA at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 27, 2017
It helps monitor the actual quality of work. They have to improve in terms of the GUI.

• "Before we moved the code to AppDynamics, we had to compare the agile process and also had to make sure that they're following the standards."
  • "It would help to maybe have a more graphical interface and more user-friendly graphics."

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product and I would highly recommend it. Whilst looking for a vendor, the most important criteria is honesty. I don't want to waste time, so I want honest feedback. We don't want any lame excuses such as, there is no patch or that they are still working on it and so on. Thus, honesty is most important.
it_user516924
Production Operations Systems Admininistrator III at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 21, 2017
The Databases module allows our developers to view the SQL nodes and quickly rule in/out hardware issues, as well as have immediate access to SQL execution plans as they are occurring (which is vital)

• "Applications: This provides us insight into how our applications are performing within our environments and affords us the ability to identify opportunities and make changes to code / environment to effect positive performance lift."
  • "I’d like to see better out-of-the-box visual reporting so that we can roll this up to management."

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to plan what exactly it is you are looking to get out of the software; it will pay dividends after implementation.
it_user584115
Site Reliability/Dev Ops Strategist Digital Transformation at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jan 29, 2017
Alerts, responds and monitors standard deviation.

What other advice do I have?

It is an up-and-coming company that operates like a startup. They’re fast to find ways to implement changes for their customers.
it_user257253
Spanish Language Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 19, 2017
Provides an overview of the performance bottlenecks at different layers of the application landscape.

What other advice do I have?

AppDynamics has come a long way in terms of user friendliness with day-to-day use. This solution has an edge over others in terms of adaptability between team members with different roles and responsibilities. You should start off with application monitoring licenses which provide very user-friendly functionality. You need to spend more time to generate the reports with deeper insights.
Chinsheng Chen
Director at a program development consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 18, 2017
Transaction snapshots collect the application call stack and SQL statements.

What other advice do I have?

AppDynamics provides a complete online document. Everyone can learn by him/herself through the instructions provided in that document.
it_user305178
Software Development Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 17, 2017
It shows how all the components in the infrastructure work together to run an application.

What other advice do I have?

Configuration in the IT environment is very important. It has to be done with the vendor, our development teams, our infra support teams and the business.
it_user269436
Quality Assurance Expert at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 17, 2017
Setup is independent from the details of the application landscape.

What other advice do I have?

The simplicity of usage implies that you need not get a decent course on how to use this product. But if you go to a course, you can learn different approaches and you can get into contact with people to whom you might ask questions at a later time.
it_user560430
Production Engineer at PHE inc
Jan 4, 2017
For more obscure problems, it's allowed us to drill down into our code. It's changed the target area.

What other advice do I have?

Take time to get into the forums. That wasn't something we did right away. The forums, the online AppDynamics University, all of them are really, really helpful. I've been really happy with it and everything we want it to do, it's done. If it was something we thought couldn't be done when we reached out to support, we got help to the ends we needed it. We will be using other AppDynamics products. We just started, actually; we signed a contract a few months ago. A lot of that stuff is new to us. We're mainly skilled in APM. We're learning the synthetics and the transaction analytics now, which…
it_user501966
Senior Consultant at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 4, 2017
It provides end-to-end business transaction breakdown, with an easy user interface. It has ​to evolve with the latest technologies.

What other advice do I have?

Have a look on all three solutions: AppDynamics, Dynatrace and New Relic.
Gaute Holmin
Solutions Architect and Community Leader at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Jan 4, 2017
We find application bottlenecks with the standard agent for Java and .NET.

What other advice do I have?

Just try it. AppDynamics has a free, 14-day trial. If you don't have the needed staff or knowledge, talk to one of AppDynamics’ partners.
it_user506304
PROJECT MANAGER, JEE AND SOA ARCHITECT, EXPERT at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Jan 4, 2017
"Stacktrace" exceptions are well detailed. We see the history of executions.

What other advice do I have?

This product facilitates load testing and visibility of their results and facilitates diagnosis and analysis for code optimization (SQL queries, instructions and inefficient code).
it_user560499
Application Support Lead at ASRC Federal Data Solutions
Jan 4, 2017
It shows us whether all of our transactions are going smoothly.

• "The most valuable feature is the live reporting on the current health\performance of our application"
  • "I think I would like to see a better way to deploy and upgrade the machine agents that we use. Currently, we have to use SCCM, and that might just be our environment with the customer."

What other advice do I have?

Give them a call. Check out the field. I know that AppDynamics was more than willing to give us temporary licenses; come in and help us set it up in a dev environment; and show us how it works in our environment, not just the canned demo: “Here's the little website we made and this is how it works.” Of course, it works perfectly because we've made it work perfectly. They will do a demo in your environment, on your servers, so you can see, “Yes, this is our data. This is what we will see. This is how it will help us.” The only reason I did not give it a perfect rating is because I don't think…
it_user560367
Monitoring Lead at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
Dec 26, 2016
We use it to monitor end-user responses and track how many calls are being made.

What other advice do I have?

We became 100% dependent on AppDynamics after we started using it. Apart from some performance issues, we haven’t found any major issues with AppDynamics. Some of the services are not available with Azure, such as IoT and so on, but other than that, 90% of our monitoring depends on AppDynamics. We also use AppDynamics’ End User Monitoring and Mobile User Monitoring.
it_user560454
Sr. Director Software Development
Dec 26, 2016
It provides a real-time view of what the system looks like and how it is performing.

What other advice do I have?

Buy it. Buy AppDynamics, but you have to invest in your team too. It has to be someone's job to be setting the system up; to watching the system; making configuration changes. It has to be someone's job to report on the data that AppDynamics is coming with. I have given it a perfect rating because of how quickly we can go in and see what's going on, diagnose issues before they become issues, but also respond. When we haven't got there first, when someone's reporting a fault, how quickly we can go in and see exactly what's going on, pull up the error message, see the red line on the errors, and…
ITEngine96e2
IT Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 25, 2016
I don't have to explain or "translate" transaction snapshots. It rules out the people I don't have to talk to.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a shot. If you want to do a PoC, definitely do it. You should definitely have AppDynamics in there. I have no qualms about recommending the tool outright, but I think for your use case, you should probably PoC it on your own because you will really see the value add. If you don't, of course, then it is what it is, but I think most people will see the value add very, very quickly. They have a very competent team. They have the right people in the right places. Once they decide to commit to something, they actually do it and do it well. That's definitely a good plus. I have not given it…
it_user560520
Operations Project Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Dec 25, 2016
Based on our own experience, we can configure health rules to determine when an application is behaving incorrectly.

• "It allows us to configure health rules so that we can, based on our own experience, determine when an application is behaving incorrectly."

What other advice do I have?

It's a fantastic product. Just make sure that you take the time to really understand it. Know what you're getting into. It's not just, "Let's purchase it, let's install it. Okay, it's great. Now it's working, let's put it up on the dashboard." There's so much to it; you can just scratch the surface or you can really dive into it and it can do a lot. Look at those extra features and spend the time to do it. In addition to AppDynamics APM, we also use AppDynamics SQL and EUM. We are very happy with them. The EUM, End User Monitoring, is really, really cool. The database one, as well, for SQL…
    it_user560505
    Lead Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 21, 2016
    It includes transaction correlation, an application flow map, and business transactions. A universal agent might solve deployment and licensing issues.

What other advice do I have?

The main point is every company is a software company. Invariably, you talk about it. Every button click is important. What if a customer shares feedback with his colleagues, friends or family? Every button click is important. Having said that, you should know what is happening out in your environment, out on your machines, out on your applications. So, application performance monitoring, infrastructure monitoring, and end-user monitoring are definitely very important. We have our own use cases. According to those use cases, we chose AppDynamics. But whatever the product, don't get married to…
    it_user560406
    CTO at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 21, 2016
    It helps us see how code responds to the different kinds of workloads that you see in the production environment.

What other advice do I have?

Make use of all of the training material and the university. There's some really useful information in there. Also, the two other things that I’ve mentioned elsewhere: * Ensure the person who is deploying AppDynamics in your environment is among the top-most performers of your team, someone who knows your application in and out. * Combine that with good, strong consultation by the AppDynamics team. Get these two in place and you've got a winner on your hands. The reason why I have not rated it higher is the lack of support for HHPM and Ruby; bring them both and I would rate it higher.
    it_user560412
    Manager - Application Operations at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 20, 2016
    Analyzes business transactions in real time. We use it for our cloud services, as well as our in-house application stack.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool. I definitely recommend looking at it. At least go to a conference and attend one of the sessions; see what the tool can do. It's definitely valuable. I haven’t given it a perfect rating because of stability, the SaaS controller. If it's as stable as I hope it'll be in the next release or two, I'll probably give it a perfect rating.
    it_user560493
    Director of Information Systems at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Dec 19, 2016
    It pinpoints issues irrespective of the layer in which they happened.

• "It reduces the time to resolve issues and requires less manpower."
    • "The network diagnostics that they are adding will be really useful. They could add more detail into what is going on in the network."

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend it. It's a pretty robust tool. For monitoring APM, all the DevOps and whatever they want to use it for, it's a pretty robust tool. It has all of the features; whatever is needed. I recommend it without thinking twice. We do have licenses for AppDynamics EUM, but we cannot implement it yet because our system is a little more complex and it's a little older technology, the UI part of it. We'll roll it out at some point, when we get the chance.
    it_user277401
    IT Operations Manager at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
    Dec 16, 2016
    It traverses our environment and brings problem areas to light.

What other advice do I have?

Be patient. They do things very procedurally. Usually, I'm used to downloading an application and trying it on my own. If I would have done that on my own, I probably would have thought, I can't do this; there's too much there. But, they kept coming back, saying, “No, we want to show you. We want to make sure you're doing this right.” Even though I wanted to say, “No. Just leave us alone and let us do it”, I'm glad I did take their advice and bring them in, so they could teach us a little more about it. We're doing APM but we also are right now evaluating the Analytics side of it. That's been…
    it_user560529
    Sr. App Analytics DevOps Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 16, 2016
    The flow map and technical support are valuable.

• "That visual representation’s been really good, also the overhead that AppDynamics creates is quite small. We've tried Dynatrace in the past. Some of the applications didn't work as well with Dynatrace."

What other advice do I have?

Do a PoV of AppDynamics on a critical application. Get that initial win, and use that win to drive adoption throughout the organization. I haven’t rated it higher because of the comparison between AppDynamics and Dynatrace. Dynatrace does give you more, richer information, but it's not scalable. There are certain things that I kind of miss with AppDynamics but it's not something that I'm going to cry about because of the other overall value that it provides, and the ease of use of it. In addition to AppDynamics APM, we're also using RUM and Mobile UM.
      it_user560511
      Associate Support Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 15, 2016
      The most valuable feature is defining the health rules and seeing the metrics.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend it. When I was at my previous company I had no idea about AppDynamics. I got introduced to it when I came to my current company and I realized that this could solve so many problems. The reason why I have not rated the product higher is mostly not a reflection on APM. It's just that I am new and I'm still trying to figure things out. The documentation is pretty good. I get to learn a lot from that. Still, I think it can improve a bit more when I have to find answers. There is the AppDynamics community. You can ask questions on that, but there have been times when I…
      it_user560538
      Sr. Configuration Manager at IHG
      Dec 15, 2016
      Most of the time, we use it to look into the business transactions with customers.

What other advice do I have?

There are so many tools in the market, depending upon the criteria and what you want, I would definitely suggest AppDynamics, because of the REST things and all of that. You can deep dive into data and get to the granular level. We are pretty much a satisfied customer. We are not really using APM with any other AppDynamics products at this time.
      it_user560358
      Service Health Operations Analyst at a recruiting/HR firm with 10,001+ employees
      Dec 15, 2016
      We use a lot of the metric browsers and then the APIs to then ingest that into Splunk.

What other advice do I have?

If you're not getting the support or if you're not getting the answers when they are trying to troubleshoot, then this is a definitely a really good solution and it will save you time in the long run. With the benefits of pinpointing the issue quickly, we can get either our servers or our application up and running better. We've pinpointed a lot of long transaction times and were able to fix that. Not knowing that, because we fixed that, it also fixed three or four different applications. It’s also nice to see the mapping. Once you start building all these things and its building on top of…
      it_user560427
      Systems & Network Administration Manager at Jack Henry & Associates
      Dec 15, 2016
      Dynamic baselining is a big plus. For example, for different times of the day or different days of the week.

What other advice do I have?

The best advice would probably be to make sure that you know what your requirements are and that you're analyzing the tools to your requirements. Look at things such as capital and time to roll out. That makes a big difference in the ROI for a product. Overall, it's a very strong product. It has most of the features that I think we need. There are a few things that could be improved, like the ability to exclude stuff from the baseline. It's not quite perfect, but other than some usability improvements, I think it's a very great product. We use AppDynamics APM, as well AppDynamics EUM.
      Cedric Murphy
      Senior Computer Performance Specialist at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 15, 2016
      We can go into multiple tiers and monitor the transactions from the end-user point of view.

What other advice do I have?

Take a test drive of the demo. I’ve given it a high rating because of the initial dashboards that are being built and the way that they can be built. I haven't seen anything like that. Especially with the flow management that's literally there in real time. For right now, we are not using any other AppDynamics products. We are only using AppDynamics APM, but the new one they introduced at a recent conference, Business iQ, that seems very appealing too.
      it_user560418
      Application Engineer II at Expedia
      Dec 14, 2016
      Correlating application problems with issues customers report is valuable.

What other advice do I have?

One of our sister organizations has a WSO2 Enterprise Service Bus instance. They were using the good old stare-and-compare method of making sure that their services were up. They would start their Java application and go stare at the log file. That was how they knew it was running. They didn't have any visibility into how much traffic it was taking, whether that was normal, what their normal call profile looked like. As part of our own evaluation of WSO2 and their Enterprise Service Bus, we asked this team to install AppDynamics on their servers. They came back and said, "How do we get our…
      it_user560526
      Systems Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 14, 2016
      It tracks hundreds of different URLs and web pages individually and separately. It's all automated.

What other advice do I have?

It works great, especially if you don't have anything that's currently doing that type of monitoring. It works great for doing what you need, when you want to track response times and error rates; and especially being able to dig down to individual transactions and see the actual call methods. That's amazing when you’re trying to debug issues and figure out what's causing slowness. So, we love it. It works well. We’re not using any other AppDynamics products; just the APM right now. We've looked into a few of the other products, but the way our environment is laid out, it doesn't really make…
      it_user560517
      Manager Core Business Solutions at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 14, 2016
      We like the customer experience it provides and the deep dive it gives.

What other advice do I have?

I really don't have any negative things to mention about it. It's been all positive. Depending on how the environment is, it can be a bit pricier than other products. The benefits that you get out of it seem to outweigh the costs, from what we've seen so far. We've also got AppDynamics’ End User Monitoring piece, and we're evaluating the database agents.
      it_user560382
      Programmer/Analyst at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
      Dec 14, 2016
      Developers can find and troubleshoot performance and quality issues prior to testing.

What other advice do I have?

As always, do your homework. Know everything about the industry that you’re playing in. Know who all of your options are and pick the solution that's best for you. It's providing massive value for a relatively massive investment, as well, but it is proving itself to be easier to use and therefore more widely adopted than previous solutions. That has been a huge relief to all of us who have been doing APM for years and have wanted to spread that around the company wider than just a small set of analysts. We are using a little bit of AppDynamics EUM and Analytics.
      it_user560487
      Sr. Enterprise Network Planner at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 13, 2016
      Ease of use fuels adoption in our organization.

• "It's made it easier to collaborate across teams; be able to have the same data immediately in front of you just by sharing a URL."
      • "It could be a little more flexible in configuration on the back end."

What other advice do I have?

Having implemented without the help of professional services, we were capable of doing that; it went very smoothly. Involve, even indulge, AppDynamics in being a part of the implementation process, and having the planning and discussion around it. We wanted to go more rapidly than that would allow. Therefore, we kind of short-circuited that process, and jumped right in, which was good, but I think that there's value in having folks who have done it a lot look at where you're going with it, and give you some pointers. We've had to "course correct" a little bit on a few points as we went, and…
      it_user560439
      Performance Test Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 12, 2016
      It's our eyes to the application and stitches a lot of information together on one screen.

What other advice do I have?

Adoption: It's hard to do with just one person driving it. If you have that adoption, the team doing it, that definitely makes it a lot easier. Start on a couple small things. Work your way up. Don't try to do one "big bang" and get it all in there. At least for us, that's the way it's worked well. In general, when I’m looking to work with a vendor, the most important criteria are definitely reliability, where they sit in the industry, responsiveness. They have to be responsive. They have to be cutting edge. Those are basically the main points. As far as using other AppDynamics solutions, we…
      it_user560481
      DB Admin at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 12, 2016
      Developers use the graphs to see what is happening in production.

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy. It's been easy. The dashboard that comes automatically, the mapping with all the services, the externals; those are all pretty good. I do not use any other AppDynamics solution.
      it_user560496
      Performance Test Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 9, 2016
      Get end-to-end topology without a lot of configuration. It automatically makes those connections.

What other advice do I have?

When I look for a vendor I want them to deliver on what they say. A lot of times they will say they can do stuff and you bring them in for a proof of concept and they can't do it. But they always guarantee that they will. And they can never actually get it working. I would advise a colleague to sit down with one of the senior architects and map out what their needs are, and the best way to do it. What you need is based on the individual technologies you have and you might need more of a custom split for what you're actually looking to get out of it.
      it_user560478
      Team Lead Gestion des évènements at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Dec 9, 2016
      We use it for real-time monitoring, so we can see transactions, be proactive, and focus on the real problem.

What other advice do I have?

APM probably applied more to us than others perhaps. This is an application monitoring tool so you need to really understand it and implement it properly. The application team needs to know about its features and capabilities to get the most out of it. We're new at this, so it's a new paradigm that we have to bring in our company. Being on the event team, I'm not looking at the application for the app team. Sometimes we're looking at the dashboard and we see something wrong. We feel that they're not really taking action. Sometimes we just call them, "Hey, by the way, can you have a look at…
      it_user201555
      IT Manager in web analysis and performace at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 9, 2016
      Error analysis in the troubleshooting sections go straight to the point.

• "Error analysis in the troubleshooting sections go straight to the point."
      • "When you have high stress of visits I do not know if you are more stress because of the amount of visits or because you have to wait eternal 60 seconds to find out it things are going well or you already have mess."
      it_user560502
      Software Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
      Dec 8, 2016
      Business transaction transparency from one tier to the next is valuable to us.

What other advice do I have?

I want a vendor to be honest. I've never been involved in those kind of conversations. But I'd expect them to tell me what exactly it does and what it exactly doesn't do. Nobody expects a product to be perfect. Nobody expects the product should have every single bell and whistle. But if you sell it that way, you're going to be disappointed. I'd rather know that upfront. And probably setup a roadmap and say, look, we are getting these features in the pipeline, which is a much more realistic conversation. My advice is that just before you turn on APM, think about what's important to you. Just…
      it_user560490
      Enterprise Platform Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 8, 2016
      Provides a better understanding of our single point of failure.

• "The flow map is very valuable to us. Before we installed APM, we had no idea how our application looked."
      • "I would like to see more of a unified platform. They're very, very new on the server side, machine agents. I want them to be more mature in this area."

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a vendor to work with, I want to know how truthful is he with me when he's talking. I don't want him to be a sales guy coming up and trying to sell me something. He should be honest in his opinion. He should be truthful when he says that, "yes this tool will solve your problem". I don't want a person who comes and says that AppDynamics is the gold and he will solve world hunger and poverty. I don't want to hear that. Tell me the benefits, tell me the drawbacks, and leave it up to me to decide whether these drawbacks are something that I can live with or not. That's one. Second, I…
      it_user560508
      Senior Software Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 8, 2016
      It gives an end-to-end view of all of your servers at setup.

What other advice do I have?

I think price and scalability are important when choosing an APM vendor. If it's a third party solution, is it going to be able to keep up with the solution you're using? How is the technical support, and how cutting edge is the solution. Are they keeping up with their competitors? So far, we have found all these things in AppDynamics.
      it_user560514
      Enterprise Applications Sr. Software Developer/Project Leader at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 8, 2016
      We found performance problems we didn't know existed. Initial setup was fairly straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Do it right from the beginning. Do a lot of planning. Everything flows from getting it setup correctly originally. And in a lot of ways, if you go and change something, if you need to kind of go back and re-do some things, you're going lose all your data historically. So do it right from the beginning. I give APM an 8/10 because nothing's perfect. There are times where we had a couple of outages over the past couple of weeks. Just an hour or two where it was not available. We had to increase memory twice on the database monitoring agent. And when that dies, it doesn't respond. It doesn't…
      it_user560484
      Sr. Manager at Arbonne international
      Dec 8, 2016
      You can auto-integrate with applications and easily identify errors or issues.

What other advice do I have?

AppDynamics is a unique system. It depends on the environment that you are in. It is probably applicable to any kind of company but if you don't know how to configure it correctly or how to use it and get all the details that you want from it, it may not be your best solution. You might go with a much smaller scale solution but for any enterprise organization, this is the best solution you can implement. We still haven’t implemented this APM tool completely in all our applications.
      it_user560448
      Systems Performance Management Intern at Choice Hotels International
      Dec 8, 2016
      We can triage and diagnose problems sooner and proactively tell the teams involved about lags in their performances.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend others who are looking out for a similar solution to try this product. However, it does depend on each business individually and what suits its needs; so I won’t be able to get into any specifics. I personally don’t use any other solution besides APM but there are people on my team using End User Monitoring. There's always room for improvement in this product.
      it_user560394
      Web Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
      Dec 8, 2016
      It helps us to find underlying problems, some of which are not so evident.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is just to play with it. It has so many dashboards and it's very intuitive and easy to understand. The visualization is also very good. Regarding choosing a vendor, I think the most important thing is that they keep updating and improving the product. They also need to have great customer support. We want to have very precise data regarding real time data on the server.
      it_user560388
      Senior Atg Developer at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      Dec 8, 2016
      I like that I can monitor the performance of the site real-time.

What other advice do I have?

Start digging and do it. There are a lot of things that initially we didn't know. So once I started digging into it, I found out more about it. They have good webcast sessions on the site, so go to the sessions and reach out to them. It's as simple as that. Their support response is very good. So they will let you know right of the end.
      it_user560379
      Technical Project Lead, Systems Architect at Bodhtree
      Dec 8, 2016
      We can see which particular transactions are getting more errors and slower performance, which gives us a chance to fix them.

What other advice do I have?

In choosing a vendor, one issue is the business impact should be minimized. Because of AppDynamics, we came to know where the bottlenecks are in the infrastructure by using the system agent, as well as the JVM agent. We code mostly with Java. That really helped us to know where to concentrate, and where to troubleshoot, and where to take action to minimize the impact on business. I would go with the AppDynamics, because they have new analytics and new features coming, which will really helpful. Log analytics allow you see the performance metrics and at the same time, what is happening. The…
      it_user560376
      Software Engineer Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Dec 8, 2016
      We are able to figure out problems before the customers find them. It also lets us see how our application scales under load.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, training definitely helps if you are looking to choose a similar solution. You should start off with some initial training. There are a lot of nuances and you have to know how to use this product in a manner where it is going to be most useful to you and this is where the training will help. After that, everything is straightforward.
      it_user560391
      Lead Performance Test Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Dec 7, 2016
      A performance engineering tool with minimal overhead. It only pulls the data it needs.

What other advice do I have?

Try using the trial version which AppD provides. Their customer support is very good. If you have questions specific to your applications, you can reach out to customer support. They'll come on site and help you with all the questions and they can do the set up. We also use AppDynamics Real User Monitoring, where we get end user performance. We also use AppDynamics Database Monitoring, so we can tidy up if there is a DB issue; what is causing the database issue. They're all integrated with each other.
      it_user560460
      Capability Development Manager - Monitoring at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
      Dec 7, 2016
      Identification of performance bottlenecks, even in pre-production environments.

What other advice do I have?

Think about what it is you're doing beforehand. Plan it a little bit. One of the slightly strange problems that some of the early teams ran into was fundamentally misunderstanding the application tier and node hierarchy in AppDynamics. You ended up with some very strangely named applications. Read that one paragraph on each of those. Work out what it is you're doing, and then it all springs to life. Also, talk to other teams who've done it. We also use AppDynamics database monitoring. We use the machine agents. I think that's pretty much everything we've got. I’m generally happy with them…
      it_user560364
      Production Support Analyst III/ Enterprise Monitoring at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
      Dec 7, 2016
      We needed application interrogation. Technical support is top notch.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework and make sure that AppDynamics is right for you. I'm pretty sure it would be. It works really well. It does its job, as far as digging into the Java and finding out what the problems are when they occur in real time. We are not using APM with other AppDynamics products.
      it_user17262
      Application Development Mansger at Garmin
      Dec 6, 2016
      Our developers use it to do performance analysis functions by functions.

What other advice do I have?

Get your developers trained as soon as possible. They're going to be the ones who need to utilize it.
      it_user560451
      IT Operations Engineer at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
      Dec 6, 2016
      Instead of relying on customer calls to report issues, we can do real-time monitoring and trending analysis. Adding Business iQ would be an improvement.

What other advice do I have?

If you asked me about it, I would provide our experiences, what we're seeing and that would be it. I would say, “Here are some of the things we were having problems with. Here are some of the things that AppDynamics was the solution, where we have seen improvements.” I would probably steer towards that and then have them talk to a rep, who would be able to tell them, for their business, what they could do to help them. In general, when I’m looking at vendors to work with, I look for a company that's willing to partner up with us, and not only through the sale of an application, but through…
      it_user560442
      Application Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 6, 2016
      Pinpoints application issues that can be located and fixed quickly.

What other advice do I have?

My overall advice is, if you don’t have it yet, then get it.
      it_user560421
      Lead Systems Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
      Dec 1, 2016
      It can instrument without developers having to do anything special or significant. It could use some work as far as load and distributed load.

What other advice do I have?

It looks very powerful, and it looks like you really need to spend some time with it to get to know it, so don't just expect results right out of the box. Spend some time with it and get to know how to use it. I believe we are using APM with AppDynamics reporting service. My rating reflects the fact that I'm kind of a tough sell, I guess.
      it_user560373
      Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Dec 1, 2016
      How customers are viewing transactions, from the end-user perspective, is useful for the business people.

What other advice do I have?

Take the training; take the time to learn it; explore it. That's my advice.
      it_user560361
      Chief Architect at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 1, 2016
      With the auto-discovery feature, you can install an agent in one place and this product shows you what it's talking to.

What other advice do I have?

As with just about anything else I'd recommend: start small, make sure you understand how the system works, what it's doing, what it's telling you. Then, once you get a level of comfort with it, which shouldn't take too long, then you can spread it out and start looking. One of the nice things is the auto-discovery feature. You can install an agent in one place and it will show you the things that it's talking to. That way, you can follow it and say, "I recognize this IP address that it's talking to here. That's another critical system. I'm going to put an agent on there." Then, start building…
      it_user560355
      Systems Engineer III at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Dec 1, 2016
      Transaction snapshots show where the application broke; they pinpoint where in the call stack, and then how long it took to resolve.

• "The transaction snapshots let you find out where the application broke; it pinpoints where in the call stack, and then how long it took to resolve."
      • "We would love to see support for more types of agents in the mainframe world."

What other advice do I have?

It's definitely worth using. The overall impact the tool has had in our environment has been very positive. Some of the best success stories we have got from the product have actually come from VPs over those different product areas, when they find out how AppDynamics scored a critical win. My advice to the other teams would be to involve all the other product teams, everybody who's going to be involved with it. Get them involved early on into the adoption, on what it can do. You don't want to have management overseeing it and not know what the product is. You want that buy-in early on in the…
      it_user560385
      Senior Analyst Production Application Support at a leisure / travel company with 10,001+ employees
      Dec 1, 2016
      The single view into applications shows how they run, errors, and trends.

What other advice do I have?

Reach out anytime you have questions, because they're very responsive to answer.
      it_user420570
      Performance Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
      Nov 23, 2016
      Performance analytics trace web service transactions across multiple tiers. It provides full visibility, including method invocation-level insights.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t treat it as a monitoring tool. Use it as a troubleshooting tool. It helps you understand how the apps run in much more detail than good or bad. You can see where you need to improve.
      it_user532590
      Application Performance Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Nov 23, 2016
      It has automatic flow maps to visualize application environments, and a native mobile agent.

What other advice do I have?

Take some time to train technicians and development personal who will use the tool. Make sure you design the correct Business Applications and Business Transactions.
      it_user534495
      Senior Performance Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Nov 22, 2016
      AppDynamics Excels In Terms Of Implementation & much more effective in terms of business insights

What other advice do I have?

is more effective in terms of business insights- Connect the dots between application performance and business outcomes with custom dashboards. Get visibility into the business impact of customer experience quality Breaks the Silos and create the common language IT and the business. Can see business results in real-time
      it_user521979
      Technical Lead | Manager,Software Engineering at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Oct 21, 2016
      We used it to analyze our APIs and web services.

• "I think the performance and interface are the most important features."
      • "Maybe some more CPU power or something like that could be an area to improve."

What other advice do I have?

Go through the features it has; it has many of them. If you just buy it and use it for small things, it's not worth it. It has many features and capabilities; it is capable of doing many things. Go through the features in detail, or even go through training to get an idea of what it can do. It's a big product.
      it_user528264
      Chief Technology Officer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
      Oct 21, 2016
      Line-level tracing helped identify and eliminate performance bottlenecks.
      it_user509022
      Senior Performance Engineer Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
      Sep 29, 2016
      Without any prior knowledge of the application structure, we use it to identify the root cause of performance issues.

• "End-user monitoring (web and mobile)"
      • "SQL statement monitoring"

What other advice do I have?

Properly identify your needs, and allocate the required resources. Otherwise, you might face some scalability issues.
      it_user509844
      Senior System Administrator at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Sep 12, 2016
      It auto-baselines the application that you instrument with it.

What other advice do I have?

They offer a free trial. If you are struggling with finding the root cause of a reoccurring issue, then give it a shot. We got immediate, actionable results. My rating reflects its ease of use as well as the scope of solutions that it can monitor, including MongoDB.
      it_user503214
      Associate Technical Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Aug 31, 2016
      It automatically instruments slow performing code components, and facilitates deep-dive component monitoring. It does not support network monitoring.
      it_user76911
      Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      MSP
      Aug 31, 2016
      Companies maintaining strict compliance such as PCI can use it since it has a completely web-based interface and there is no client.

What is our primary use case?

It is an excellent product for application performance monitoring.

• "After we implemented this solution, we can easily determine the root cause of issues."
      • "In the current version of AppDynamics, there is a correlated section, where we can see all servers’ performance along with application performance, but network performance is missing."

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it.
      it_user324879
      Technical Architect-Product Development with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Aug 30, 2016
      It finds bugs in dev and test environments before they escape into staging/prod. We need it to track async calls because most of our APIs are async calls.

What other advice do I have?

This is purely an application instrumentation and monitoring tool with good features for business analytics. It is probably more integrated and works well with Java application, as some features for .NET don't work. Host the AppDynamics controller on a Linux machine with a medium or high profile. A Windows server machine would show symptoms of disliking it within 2 to 3 weeks of setup. It is not comparable with infrastructure tools. The plug-in available to track infrastructure-related activities are not stable and not robust.
      it_user420528
      Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Jun 22, 2016
      We like the ability to drill down into the method level to identify where the real issue is, as other tools just show the slowness at the transaction level only.

What other advice do I have?

One piece of advice I would like to give others is that you need to first identify how you want to map your business application in the AppDynamics flow map. If there are multiple pieces in an application talking to each other, then best practice is to put everything together in one business application to see how those pieces talk to each other. Secondly, you need to identify the most important business transactions that you would like to monitor. Just include those and exclude everything else, as this way you can reduce the traffic and the amount of noise. Troubleshooting is easy when only…
      it_user129477
      Performance Tester/QA at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Jul 8, 2015
      We can monitor end-user experience, which gives us browser-rendering and client-side info (OS, browser, network time, etc.).
      it_user121725
      Senior Application Support Specialist - ITIL® at AsianLogic
      Nov 22, 2014
      I chose AppDynamics for the Application Flow Map, Dashboards, Transaction Scorecards & Other Vaulable Features

What other advice do I have?

Scale the product properly within your system’s architecture to get better results in order to analyze your app's performance properly.
      it_user112185
      Developer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jun 10, 2014
      We investigated New Relic & dynaTrace before choosing AppDynamics to easily identify & rectify application slowdown

What other advice do I have?

Read up on documentation, and play around with the config settings, there is a vast wealth of information that can be retrieved if you know how to look for it.
      it_user126369
      Gateway Systems Administrator with 51-200 employees
      Jun 9, 2014
      It's been helping us to quickly pinpoint specific application problems, especially related to memory and slow queries.

What other advice do I have?

AppDynamics does exactly what it says it can do. It's well readable and easy to navigate. Configuration and changing things around is easy enough.
      it_user112602
      Systems Engineer with 51-200 employees
      Jun 9, 2014
      We looked into New Relic and Hyperic but chose AppDynamics for their metrics which provides us with a complete picture

What other advice do I have?

Sizing of the product in term of the server to run it or architecture is the secret to success.
      it_user121719
      Application Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jun 8, 2014
      Makes it very clear when/where the issue is occurring. Allows us to quickly find and solve the root of the problem.

What other advice do I have?

I would say the best thing people could do is to monitor as much as possible. By this I mean don't just monitor the app your team/group is building, but also everything it interacts with. I found the most use out of this tool when we could see the whole picture not just our small slice.
      it_user112605
      Senior Software Engineer with 51-200 employees
      Jun 5, 2014
      AppDynamics provides a lot of data. It has allowed us to find critical memory flaws in our application.

What other advice do I have?

AppDynamics has a lot of information it can give you. Be sure to take the time and understand all the data. There may be critical information that can help improve your application performance.
      it_user118995
      User Experience Solution Director at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jun 4, 2014
      We evaluated dynaTrace and New Relic but chose AppDynamics for features such as self discovery and on premise usage

What other advice do I have?

The model that we used to do the POC and prototype to test it out first helped to get us familiar with the tool, familiar with it and trained on it. AppDynamics suggested it and said they could come in and help - we accepted!
      it_user112596
      Application Support Engineer with 51-200 employees
      Jun 2, 2014
      Useful metrics and amazing snapshots of transactions are two reason why we chose AppDynamics over CA and Compuware.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the AppDynamics Pro usability, stability and customer experience as the best. This solution is very advanced and they keep on improving the features that make it great. Once you use AppDynamics it feels like you were standing in the dark before. Implementing it is a breeze even if you never used it before, and out of the box it gives you so much useful information that you only need to fine-tune it. I never heard of any other product that is up and running this fast.
      it_user112188
      Senior Systems Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jun 2, 2014
      Enables us to track down slow transactions quickly.

Valuable Features

Transactional awareness. The team really enjoyed being able to track a transaction from start to finish. Not really a feature but I find the interface easy to use.

Improvements to My Organization

Gave us a tool to track down slow transactions quickly.

Room for Improvement

LDAP integration.

Use of Solution

1 year

Just LDAP integration.

We haven't seen any stability issues.

We haven't seen any scalability issues.

Customer Service: 8 out of 10 - I felt that the AppDynamics team was very engaged and more than willing to help but we never really got to a reasonable solution within the timeframe I had.Technical Support: 7 out of 10 - same reasoning as above. …
      it_user112179
      Sr Software Developer with 501-1,000 employees
      May 12, 2014
      Since it emails us alerts when certain things happen, we can start working on a problem before our customer notices.

What other advice do I have?

Learn as much as you can about it. It can do more than you think. Make use of the enthusiasm of the AppDynamics employees to help you learn.
      it_user2667
      VP of Systems Engineering at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Nov 5, 2012
      AppDynamics…A Freeware Competitor to Dynatrace, Foglight and Introscope
      This review is for AppDynamics Lite. I had an interesting beginning discussion with AppDynamics. They are a competitor to Dynatrace, Quest Foglight and CA Introscope in the area of J2EE application visibility. They have a product called AppDynamics in both a freeware Lite Version and Enterprise Professional Edition that dig into the JVM and provide analysis and measurements of run-time performance. The product is agent based. It’s a simple configuration in which you can modify the Tanuki Wrapper (wrapper.conf) to add a small set of parameters for start-up. It includes a web-based console interface which you can evaluate how much time is being spent where in the byte code. It’s pretty standard fair in terms of showing call trees and SQL statements. What I like is that it provides a…
      Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about AppDynamics, Dynatrace, Broadcom, and more!