Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is #1 ranked solution in top Web Content Filtering tools, #3 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways, and #3 ranked solution in top Internet Security tools. IT Central Station users give Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway an average rating of 8 out of 10. Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is most commonly compared to Cisco Umbrella:Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway vs Cisco Umbrella. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway?
Websense Web Security blocks web threats to reduce malware infections, decrease help desk incidents and free up valuable IT resources. It has more than 100 security and filtering categories, hundreds of web application and protocol controls, and 60-plus reports with customization and role-based access.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway was previously known as Forcepoint SWG, Websense Web Security, Forcepoint TRITON.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2021

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Customers
Adventist Health, Alphawest, Amadori, Anoka County, Compartamos Banco, Davies Turner, EverBank, iGATE, Karlstad Municipality, Lake Michigan Credit Union, Scavolini, Smurfit Kappa, Toyota
Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Video

Archived Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user564000
IT Security Engineer at isit
Unifies Network Resources with Multi-Link Support

• "The most valuable feature of Forcepoint Web Security is creating the easy to install further policies that are deployed through the Forcepoint security manual at some stage. Just drag and drop and the policies are there."
  • "The firewall doesn't have any features because some customers are requesting they will install the firewall without licensing. At this time we cannot go further without licensing. Licensing is a must with Forcepoint Web Security firewalls."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use that we have for Forcepoint Web Security is for server clusters plus multi-link sites, sites that require not multi-linked ISPs.

We use Forcepoint Web Security for multi-cluster servers with multi-links so that we can cluster all the multi-links into one link.

How has it helped my organization?

For our organization, when we initially deployed Forcepoint Web Security, we were looking to have four different ISP's joined, all the ISP's as one.

We wanted to utilize all of the network resources in a unified manner. We didn't want to waste other ISP resources. That is the reason why we purchased this firewall.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Forcepoint Web Security is creating the easy to install policies that are deployed through the Forcepoint security manual at some stage. Just drag and drop and the policies are there. The cluster is very easy in comparison with other firewalls and the multi-link VPN support is there.

What needs improvement?

For improvement, we cannot deploy the Forcepoint Web Security firewall directly without ISP. The firewall doesn't have any features because some customers are requesting they will install the firewall without licensing.

I'm not sure that those features are included with Forcepoint Web Security. We checked the other features but we have not checked out their performance.

More than five years.

The stability of Forcepoint Web Security is very good. I have no issues from the customers. They are very happy with the product.

If you are testing any firewalls, there is no downtime with Forcepoint Web Security. We can directly upgrade our firewalls and we can remove the old plans. We can apply newer plans without any downtime.

Scalability with Forcepoint I would rate with an eight out of ten. It is pretty scalable. You can upgrade if you want to expand.

We have a major customer, they are using it with more than 12,000 users. There are currently two security admins and a network admin. They're managing all the firewalls.

We have a total of 55 firewalls under Forcepoint Web Security. In a year, we are planning to buy new firewalls and expand.

Technical support with Forcepoint Web Security is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment, like the initial setup, to configure with the licensing, can be done in two days.

Our use of Forcepoint Web Security is not built on the calculation or the policies, i.e. how the configuration will take place. Based on that, we have two different areas.

The pricing on Forcepoint Web Security is fair. Fair pricing at current market rates, if you are comparing with the competition.

Forcepoint Web Security is better than Fortinet because Fortinet is free. They still come under the enterprise level of security implementation though.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to deploy Forcepoint Web Security for whatever type of policies there are out there. We can manage any of our firewalls through one console. Our users prefer Forcepoint Web Security over any other firewall. We look for what the policy of the firewall is and through the console, we can run all the firewall settings.

With Forcepoint Web Security, we can push the policies to all the firewalls. For the upgrade, it can be implemented with no downtime.

I would rate Forcepoint Web Security an eight out of ten. It is easy so we can understand what the policies are and which policy belongs to which firewalls.

There is no downtime when we are building any firewalls. If any firewall goes down, there will be little to no impact.

BM
Owner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
It has protected clients against cyberattacks

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our services. It has protected clients against cyberattacks. It has created more and better end user experiences.

What is most valuable?

Protection against ransomware. Giving visibility to people's actions in the network, while keeping attackers out: across data centers, offices, branches, and the cloud.

What needs improvement?

Ease of use could be improved.

Three to five years.

The solution was used as a replacement to Microsoft TMG as well as meeting compliance requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

• It has improved our services.
  • It has protected clients against cyberattacks.
  • It has created more and better end user experiences.

What is most valuable?

• Protection against ransomware.
  • Giving visibility to people's actions in the network, while keeping attackers out: across data centers, offices, branches, and the cloud.

What needs improvement?

Ease of use could be improved.

Three to five years.

Learn what your peers think about Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user860823
Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Incident lists don’t sync between appliances, though filtering and monitoring work well

• "Most valuable features are content filtering and monitoring."
  • "There are several issues with the product. Version 8.4 can only be managed with a CLI, they removed the nice GUI interface from version 8.1. The load-balancing needs massive improvements. The incident lists don’t sync between appliances, they need to be manually edited for each one."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is as web proxies for a government agency.

How has it helped my organization?

This product improved the security of web traffic in our environment.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable features were content filtering and monitoring. As a government agency, it is highly important that the internet is being used for appropriate reasons and we need to track inappropriate behavior.

What needs improvement?

There were several issues with the product.

• Version 8.4 can only be managed with a CLI, they removed the nice GUI interface from version 8.1.
  • The load-balancing needs massive improvements.
  • The incident lists don’t sync between appliances, they need to be manually edited for each one.

Rohit Venkatesh
Network Security Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Multiple customization options have allowed us to simplify the user experience without loss of productivity

• "Ease of updating the latest hotfixes and patches on the appliance."
  • "Transparent Mode: Since we have multiple sites and roaming users, it has helped us in deploying the proxy to users without having to push any configurations to end users."
  • "Improve detailed guidelines to deploy the transparent proxy to Firefox users."

What is our primary use case?

Web Proxy deployment in transparent mode with data loss prevention (DLP) and protocol based filtering.

How has it helped my organization?

• Transparent mode implementation
  • Detect threats on SSL traffic
  • Multiple customization options to allow or block a specific content within the web pages has allowed us to simplify the user experience without loss of productivity.
  • Ease of updating the latest hotfixes and patches on the appliance.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• FTP access via transparent proxy
  • SSL Certificate updates
  • Detailed guidelines to deploy the transparent proxy to Firefox users.

it_user427377
Senior ICT Security Officer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Can send decrypted traffic to other security solutions for inspection

What is most valuable?

SSL Inspection Ability to send decrypted traffic to other security solutions for inspection.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to analyze the decrypted SSL web traffic for malware.

What needs improvement?

Security of browsing.

Seven years.

Yes. When we first began working with it, the product was not mature and we had performance issues.

Now, the product is quite stable.

Customer Service: Good, because we have a MCS (mission critical support) level. Technical Support:…

What is most valuable?

• SSL Inspection
  • Ability to send decrypted traffic to other security solutions for inspection.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to analyze the decrypted SSL web traffic for malware.

What needs improvement?

Security of browsing.

Seven years.

Now, the product is quite stable.

Good, because we have a MCS (mission critical support) level.

Good, especially for the second line.

It was complex with a lot of technical issues.

We implemented it with a skilled vendor team.

Not applicable.

It is quite expensive.

Yes, Blue Coat and McAfee.

it_user742935
Desktop and Application Security Manager with 501-1,000 employees
It helps constantly with phishing and cryptolocker attacks

What is most valuable?

Real-time analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps constantly with phishing and cryptolocker attacks.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved.

Since it was released.

It works as described.

None.

Queries can be slow on multiple terabyte databases.

Customer Service: There is room for improvement. Technical Support: Their lead technical engineers are excellent.

I have used SurfControl and Websense. I…

What is most valuable?

Real-time analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps constantly with phishing and cryptolocker attacks.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved.

Since it was released.

It works as described.

None.

Queries can be slow on multiple terabyte databases.

There is room for improvement.

Their lead technical engineers are excellent.

I have used SurfControl and Websense. I have also tried Zscaler.

It went as planned.

In-house.

Not documented.

Do your homework and base it on facts.

Looked at open tender for all products and evaluated all current products at the time.

What other advice do I have?

It was the best solution available when selecting a product.

IT Administrator Professional at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The latest deployment was a fairly smooth transition and stability has been good with this version of code

What is most valuable?

Real-time category protection.

How has it helped my organization?

There is less need to investigate if a site is malicious. The majority of site gets reported.

What needs improvement?

Database synchronization failures Encrypted packet inspection

10 years.

The latest deployment was a fairly smooth transition, but previous upgrades and hardware replacements have been very painful.

Stability has been good with this version of code (can say the say with previous versions).

No, but we have stayed with the same scale and have not needed to scale…

What is most valuable?

Real-time category protection.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

• Database synchronization failures
  • Encrypted packet inspection

10 years.

No, but we have stayed with the same scale and have not needed to scale anything.

They are okay. We haven't needed to deal with them too much.

Depends on what tech you get.

Prior to my position here, but I would know what.

Our environment is complex, so it is hard to say.

We implemented using a vendor team.

I don't track this.

Due to staffing needs, we did not consider other solutions.

Jay Stelmach
Adjunct Professor at Southern New Hampshire University
It is a well-priced option with reporting, Custom Block Pages, and AD integration

What is most valuable?

Reporting Custom Block Pages AD integration

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed our company to not worry about the security of a page, but talk more about the content and the productivity of specific types of web categories.

What needs improvement?

Allow for faster exemption of websites or the ability to reclassify websites.

Five years.

None.

Customer Service: Great. They made sure that we were choosing the right version and helped us understand the tradeoffs between…

What is most valuable?

• Reporting
  • Custom Block Pages
  • AD integration

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Allow for faster exemption of websites or the ability to reclassify websites.

Five years.

None.

Great. They made sure that we were choosing the right version and helped us understand the tradeoffs between their different deployment strategies.

Great. I had only a few issues after rollout and their tech support was quick to help.

Cisco Web Security. The AD integration was lacking. The speed was also lacking.

It was straightforward, since I had deployed it at my previous company. The engineer assigned to our deployment was also on hand to make sure that I followed the updated best practices.

In-house with vendor support.

It is a well-priced option.

Zscaler, Barracuda, Sophos, and Cisco Web Security.

Lead Systems Security Administrator at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Web filtering of malicious sites has increased our security posture

• "Reporting and automatic updates of website categorization."
  • "The documentation is almost too much, it could be laid out in an easier to understand."

What is most valuable?

Reporting and automatic updates of website categorization.

How has it helped my organization?

• Being able to have managers or department leads run their own reports has saved us an incredible amount of time.
  • Web filtering of malicious sites has increased our security posture.

What needs improvement?

• The documentation is almost too much, it could be laid out in an easier to understand.
  • Upgrades can be challenging. For us, it has required a third party to assist.

Seven years.

No, but a few major upgrades were bumpy.

Not once live in production, it seems to just work.

Excellent! We always find ourselves paired with knowledgeable technicians who resolve most of our problems on the first call.

Excellent.

Yes, Blue Coat Systems.

Complex, only in it offers a huge amount of features.

A vendor team, which was very knowledge.

Hard to calculate, but definitely there.

Get a qualified third party to assist with the web implementation.

Yes. Cisco and Barracuda.

it_user743514
User at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We are getting a high value return from our deployment

• "The customization and control of URL filtering and the integration with other Forcepoint solutions are great features."
  • "I am looking forward to the full integration of the endpoints that they offer for web security and DLP."

What is most valuable?

Forcepoint Web Security is a complete web security solution, not just a web filter, like many other solution offerings. The customization and control of URL filtering and the integration with other Forcepoint solutions are great features.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely added to the security level of the company network and keeps out accidental or purposeful web traffic that can be malicious or inappropriate.

Three years.

It was already done when I came onboard. I have made significant improvements to the deployment.

Not once after the deployment was corrected. Although, we do have an issue with the Real-Time Monitor service stopping on occasion.

No, this solution can be scaled quite high as long as you understand how to expand the architecture.

Customer service is at an extremely high level.

The technical support has improved drastically over the three years that I have been administering it.

I have, but at a different company.

it was a fairly straightforward implementation.

You need to plan it out carefully, so your deployment is good.

This was and continues to be an in-house deployment.

We are getting a high value return from our deployment.

Make sure to understand your environmental needs. Take your time scoping the project, otherwise you will have hardship later on down the road.

Yes, others were evaluated.

it_user327456
Co-Founder, CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The Sandbox is a very useful solution for sand-boxing malware / phishing etc.

• "Email Sandbox, DLP and Proxy."
  • "Reports in the sand-boxing, ease of deployment of sensors to ready to go server with one click of a button."

What is most valuable?

Email Sandbox, DLP and Proxy.

How has it helped my organization?

The Sandbox is a very useful solution for sand-boxing malware / phishing etc. from corporate email accounts. No matter whether it's on Office 365, Exchange (on-premise), or Google (or any other cloud). The Sandbox updates on a regular basis, and the flexibility of policy configuration, white-listing is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

I think there is room to improve the reporting area of the solution and also the investigation part, a basic section where you see the body and headers of each email and the reason it got blocked.

Six years.

If you implement it correctly you wont have an issue.

If you implement it correctly you wont have an issue.

Support by vendor is low-medium. You need to rely on yourself or your integrator.

Mcafee GW. Wasn't satisfied at all both in the general UI and ease of configuration.

Straightforward. Very easy to implement.

Expensive, but with a good reseller you can get a very good price.

I'm familiar with plenty of competitor solutions, tried most of the top solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Get your self a good reseller, and good integrator (don't do it by yourself).

Senior Security Consultant at a integrator with 501-1,000 employees
Technically good...too much administration required..one of the best reporting..poor customer support

What is most valuable?

Email web and DLP

How has it helped my organization?

Organisation of emails

What needs improvement?

Support

1 year

Yea, loads of issues.

Customer Service: 2 out of 10 Technical Support: 6 out of 10

Yea Bluecoat, Websense has more features.

Straight forward

Vendor - 8 out of 10

Better

What other advice do I have?

I expect timely support....

What is most valuable?

Email web and DLP

How has it helped my organization?

Organisation of emails

What needs improvement?

Support

1 year

Yea, loads of issues.

2 out of 10

6 out of 10

Yea Bluecoat, Websense has more features.

Straight forward

Vendor - 8 out of 10

Better

What other advice do I have?

I expect timely support....

it_user1266
Network Manager at a local government with 51-200 employees
Somewhat decent for the price, but extended functionality and filtering is lacking.

Valuable Features:

It is fairly easy to setup and use. I like the way you can have varying policies based on users and IP address ranges. Preset categories cover many websites, and can be useful if you are setting policies based on security only, or if you need to really lock systems down.

Room for Improvement:

AD authentication is buggy and not very effective. Sometimes the policies are applied immediately, sometimes after 5 minutes. The only sure way to filter is to set static IPs, which is not effective network management. Many websites are not filtered. Many categories don't include commonly used sites. Malware can slip through easily.

Other Advice:

For the functionality, the price is fair. Easy to manage and simple to deploy if you are using basic features. Tech support is not very helpful. I have suggested numerous changes that could be made, but nobody responded.
Download our free Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.