JIRA Service Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

JIRA Service Management is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: JIRA Service Management vs ServiceNow

What is JIRA Service Management?

Jira Service Management empowers teams with everything they need to get started fast. Check out capabilities for ITSM practices like request, incident, problem, change, and configuration management.

JIRA Service Management is also known as JIRA Service Desk.

JIRA Service Management Buyer's Guide

Download the JIRA Service Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

JIRA Service Management Customers

mgm technology partners, Telestream, Build.com, Zend Technologies, OfficeDrop, PGS Software, American Diabetes Association, NEPTUNE Canada

JIRA Service Management Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

MohammadRanjbar
IT Manager at Razi Insurance
The simple user interface helps non-English speaking customers use the software and it is highly customizable

What is our primary use case?

One of the main advantages of JIRA is that it can be customized for our solutions. I live in Iran and we translated some parts of it into Persian and customized it with extra features. We hid other features to customize it right to the point. We provide this solution for our customers. It helps us shape it for our project management workflow. We are a software development team, a software company. Internally, we also use Microsoft Team Foundation, or TFS, for our development team, while we use JIRA Service Desk for our contact points. We use JIRA for the CRM and Microsoft Team Foundation for… more »

• "One of the main advantages of JIRA is that it can be customized for our solutions. I live in Iran and we translated some parts of it into Persian and customized it with extra features. We hid other features to customize it right to the point. We provide this solution for our customers."
  • "An improvement they could add is a better management dashboard. We only use the dashboard for the administration mode. We have a dashboard that reports the state of bugs or requirements. However, customers can only view requests that they made. We are not able to share a dashboard with our manager level customers to show them all of the requests in a quick dashboard."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this as nine out of ten. If they add a dashboard for management customers, it would be a ten.
Ahmed Shehata
IT Quality Section Head at Saudi Public Transport Company JSC
Leaderboard
A customizable solution with good stability but needs more IT Service Management features

What is our primary use case?

I'm primarily trying to use the solution as an IT Service Management solution.

• "The customization is the most valuable aspect of the solution. I can customize full workflows. It's very flexible. We can use mail if we want to open requests as well."
  • "The solution should be more formalized. It could be more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model. It's a good, stable solution. It can help open the IT Solution management backing if you're just looking to do some enhancements. I would rate the solution seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about JIRA Service Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Eman Masalmeh
Quality Engineering Lead at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Good user interface and management features help bring our team together

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is project management. The deployment model we used was cloud-based. Depending on the project your deployment model would be using a hybrid cloud or a private cloud.

• "I like the history, the dimensioning, and how I can configure a space based on my preferences or the project circumstances."
  • "During the updates, when another version gets released, whatever I am tracking at that time gets lost and I have to type it all over again."

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers for this solution. I would recommend the JIRA Service desk, but there is always room for improvement. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
VS
CEO at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
MSP
A good basic configuration with lots of online community and website support

What is most valuable?

The basic configuration and the basic abilities provided are the most valuable aspects of the solution.

What needs improvement?

Usability needs improvement. To configure it, you need to be well versed in JIRA administration. It's not very intuitive.

I've been using the solution for seven years.

The stability of the solution is okay.

The potential to scale the solution depends on what the organization aims to do but it's good.

The solution offers lots of information on the website to assist with technical queries. There are also many community sites to…
Yaser_Kazerooni
Agile Couch at Fusoft
An excellent solution for tracking customer service issues and tracking technical support issues

What is our primary use case?

JIRA Service Desk is used as a support solution with the support team to manage support service delivery to customers. I coached a big banking company using JIRA Service Desk to record customer incidents that require support. With the product, we have two different layers of incident management. Level one is for the call center and level two is for the agents who repair or try to resolve the incident using a software team. If their team can't resolve the problem, we create particular bug issues in JIRA software, and the development team creates a plan to correct the issue and confirms the… more »

• "This is the most complete and versatile enterprise task management product and issue tracker."
  • "Integration possibilities with other products that are not Atlassian would be helpful. Support should also provide separate installation guides for each product even though they are easy to install."

What other advice do I have?

I think I had the opportunity to learn a few things by working with JIRA Service Desk. It has been a good solution and supports good practices, but it is not everything every company needs. I can't find a better single solution for a better approach to tracking and better customer satisfaction. I have a better picture of customer needs and gradation. I have more experience in JIRA software because I worked with it in many different companies now. Some years ago I was a Java Software developer and had a lot of experience with Scrum and agile development and we used JIRA software. I think I can…
YN
Owner and Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
It manages our queues and tickets but it lacks capabilities from the user's perspective

• "What I really like about this solution, is how it manages the queues, the tickets and the routing."
  • "I don't think the program is very scalable."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to use the solution as is, and not to try to perform some sophisticated solutions. If it fits to your needs, take it. If not, use another solution. I rate this solution a seven out of ten, and in the future, I would like to see better infrastructure, more scalability, better performance, load balancing and things like that.
BasharatAhmed
Product Manager at Hashmove
Intuitive solution with fast, helpful technical support

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for storing project data on the cloud. The deployment model we are using is on the cloud.

• "This solution has helped us a great deal in project management tracking and forecasting."
  • "JIRA protects the end-user, but for the configuration, more rules could be added to improve the workflow."

What other advice do I have?

I started using JIRA in 2016 when I joined this company. It was a new software-house-startup company. They asked me if I would like to use JIRA or any other tool. I chose to learn JIRA and not do any R&D. I was very comfortable and the team will be comfortable. We are a hiring team, so we have the authority to impose on our people. I didn't install this solution, but I use it and I configured it. What I learned is that JIRA is all about the team. If you know the tool, but you don't communicate with your team then it will not be of any benefit. On the other hand, if you want to benefit from…
MandlaMbonambi
Founder and The Craftmaster at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A versatile help desk request tracker that lets you receive, track, manage and resolve customer requests

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product to log issues that require investigation or solutions.

• "This is a flexible tool for logging and tracking issues efficiently."
  • "It would be better if it had capabilities to connect to mobile applications (e.g., Whatsapp)"

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate this solution as an eight. It is a good solution and it helps to boost productivity.
EL
Senior Manager at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
A user-friendly solution that you can access from anywhere but lacks support for project management

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a help desk. It's a place where the users upload tickets related to a new project, new ideas, new incidents, and things like that.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has provided us with a tool for ticket management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that it is user-friendly. It is web-based and can be accessed from everywhere.

What needs improvement?

This solution lacks features for project management. I would like to see more reports.

This is a stable and reliable solution.

We have a contract with a local partner for technical support and they are fine.

How was the

Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Transparency of the system helps both internal and external persons involved

What is our primary use case?

Optimizing the IT and support departments to handle tickets without "going under" in the amount of work that they are doing by organizing the most important and urgent things first.

• "The automations will really help the company by delegating work the way your company operates."
  • "It makes the IT department more transparent and helps the employees."
  • "JIRA SD also helps for much better feedback on the work being done. All colleagues can see what is happening."
  • "Transparency of the system helps both internal and external persons involved."
  • "In general, JIRA has no relation to customers or financials. Therefore, marketplace add-ons are needed to make it work for customer-facing systems."

What other advice do I have?

Buying a software solution is only a half part of the solution (or even less). You need to optimize usage of the software by hiring professionals who will help you to make the most of the software, especially in the beginning. Repeat hiring of external consultancy every couple of years as knowledge fades out (people get different tasks to do). You should optimize your software infrastructure and re-evaluate it every three to four years to make optimal use of your infrastructure as the outside world changes very fast. Requirements also change.
Analysis Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
​Allows customized processes for our service contracts

What is our primary use case?

Service Desk and implementing typical ITIL processes (change, incident, problem, support management, etc.).

How has it helped my organization?

Allowing customized processes for our service contracts. Reporting and easy export to Excel spreadsheets, or similar.

What is most valuable?

Code available Emails for groups Usability  Bang for the buck (in small and mid-size organizations)

What needs improvement?

SaaS version for large organizations (more than 2000 users) is not available. Include a split configuration in a layer part to allow cloud services to have almost full admin rights in SaaS.

Business Analyst at Towers Watson
It's relatively straightforward to configure, but it does not integrate very well with our email system.