Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Overview

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics: Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse vs Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics

What is Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse?

The traditional structured relational data warehouse was never designed to handle the volume of exponential data growth, the variety of semi-structured and unstructured data types, or the velocity of real time data processing. Microsoft's SQL Server data warehouse solution integrates your traditional data warehouse with non-relational data and it can handle data of all sizes and types, with real-time performance.

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse is also known as Microsoft PDW, SQL Server Data Warehouse, Microsoft SQL Server Parallel Data Warehouse, MS Parallel Data Warehouse, MS Parallel Data Warehouse, MS Parallel Data Warehouse.

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Customers

Auckland Transport, Erste Bank Group, Urban Software Institute, NJVC, Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, Tata Steel Europe

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse pricing:
  • "Microsoft has an agreement with the government in our country, so our customers get their licensing costs from the Ministry. Whenever we work with any government, company, or government institute, which is mainly what we are doing, that license comes directly from the Ministry of Technology and Information."
  • "All the features that we use do not require any additional subscription or yearly fees."
  • "I think the program is well-priced compared to the other offerings that are out in the market."

Mohammed  Sleem
EDRMS Practice Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Collects data through SSIS packages from different sources and puts them all in one data repository

What is our primary use case?

We provide this solution as a service to customers. Sometimes, it is just used as a data warehouse. However, a couple of our customers use the data warehouse to collect information from everywhere, e.g., from their subsidiaries, such as electric or petrol companies. We are also developing some dashboards using the data warehouse. Sometimes, you are using Microsoft BI, but most of the time, you are using Qlik. It depends on the customer needs at the end of the day. Most of our limitations until this moment have been on-premise. There is some sensitive information, like the billing system for an… more »

• "Collecting the data through SSIS packages from different sources and putting them all in one data repository is the most powerful thing. While others have this feature, they don't have the simplicity or ease of use when getting a resource and knowing everything about it."
  • "I would like the tool to support different operating systems."

What other advice do I have?

We have had a good experience working with this tool. If you don't have a problem with memory and have good processors, then you won't have an issue. However, depending on your needs, you may want to go check out other tools. I would rate the tool as an eight out of 10.
MS
System Administrator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Less expensive than other high-end solutions this can be a powerhouse for small low-budget companies

What is our primary use case?

In the past, our use case for the product was just to collect data from different data sources. Now, we are trying to build websites and the business intelligence layer above the SQL Data Warehouse.

• "It is not a pricey product compared to other data warehouse solutions."
  • "It could be made more user-friendly for business users which would increase the user base."
  • "They need to incorporate a machine learning engine."

What other advice do I have?

For a small-sized company like ours, I really recommend this product. It can handle a big workload. I would say other products could not be better than Microsoft for small businesses with a lesser budget. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate Microsoft SQL Server Parallel Data Warehouse as a seven-out-of-ten.
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EtienneReynecke
Microsoft Dynamics Specialist at Strategix Business Solutions
It's well-priced, extremely stable and the technical support is very good

What is our primary use case?

I work for a Microsoft partner. We're one of the Gold partners, so we implement on their databases. We are also Dynamics 365 specialists, and I'm a Business Intelligence consultant, so I do SQL, Power BI, Azure SQL, SQL Data Warehouses, and a few others.

• "I am very satisfied with the customer service/technical support."
  • "In the future I would love to see a slightly better automation engine, just for the data integration layer, to make it slightly easier for end-users or junior developers to get involved in incremental updating."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to 10, I rate this solution a nine. In the future I would love to see a slightly better automation engine, just for the data integration layer, to make it slightly easier for end-users or junior developers to get involved in incremental updating. The biggest part that we battle with in terms of costing, and explaining to people why it takes so long to develop some of those things, is just to get the data into the actual data warehouse and automating that. It's purely an integration layer to actually get the data into the data warehouses. People need to do their research…
Mukul-Jain
BI Developer at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Easy to import data from various formats and retrieve it when required

What is our primary use case?

I have mostly worked with analytics, so I normally use SQL to put in data for analysis. I have worked on building dashboards as well.

• "One of the most important features is the ease of using MS SQL."
  • "I think that the error messages need to be made more specific."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is not to overload your server with all of the data that you don't use on a day-to-day basis. It is very easy to pull the data that you need whenever it is required. You will have to decide how to store the data and how easy it is for your client to send new data. Neither of these things should be difficult to do, even for newcomers to SQL. Sometimes, you will have to have a senior person demonstrate something basic, like how to pull data, and then people usually pick it up. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
AnupNair
Senior Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good interface and BI functionality, but scalability is an area that needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and I assist in implementing this solution for our clients. The projects that we are working on right now are related to finance, banking, and government.

• "The most valuable feature is the business intelligence (BI) part of it."
  • "This solution would be improved with an option for in-memory data analysis."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that has good performance and I recommend it. The support from Microsoft is also another thing that makes the Parallel Data Warehouse a good option. The biggest lesson that we have learned from using this solution is that customers are most interested in a quick project turnaround time, which is something that Parallel Data Warehouse provides. This is a good solution but there is always room for improvement. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
AJ
Team Lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Good reporting functionality for historical and real-time data, but the initial setup is complex

What is our primary use case?

I am using the Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse for working with information services and datasets, creating reports. It is used primarily for our historical data, but we do some in real-time also. We can receive data weekly, nightly, or even hourly.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is performance."
  • "The reporting for certain types of data needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse is to be aware of how big the data is. You have to be sure of how to secure and take care of the data. You have to think about scalability. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Elham-Gharegozloo
Senior System Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good performance and usability with a simple interface

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for keeping track of sales, goods, times of shipping, and other information. It is used for our KPIs.

• "The most valuable features are the performance and usability."
  • "More tools to help designers should be included."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to design the databases as well as they can because it is difficult to make changes in the future. It is also important to have a time field in your data in case you want to use it in the future as a reference. This is a good solution but all software can be improved and made better. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
SM
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable with good technical support and great BI tools

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution to convert to different dashboards and to collect all of the metrics and data.

• "Tools like the BI and SAS are excellent."
  • "We find the cost of the solution to be a little high."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the product. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall. It's never given us issues in terms of scaling or stability. Technical support is quite good. It offers some great features.
See 3 more Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Reviews