PRTG Network Monitor Overview

PRTG Network Monitor is the #5 ranked solution in our list of best Network Monitoring Tools. It is most often compared to Nagios XI: PRTG Network Monitor vs Nagios XI

What is PRTG Network Monitor?

PRTG Network Monitor runs on a Windows machine within your network, collecting various statistics from the machines, software, and devices which you designate. PRTG comes with an easy-to-use web interface with point-and-click configuration. You can easily share data from it with non-technical colleagues and customers, including via live graphs and custom reports. This will let you plan for network expansion, see what applications are using most of your connection, and make sure that no one is hogging the entire network just to torrent videos.

To monitor a large IT environment, it's important to be able to scale PRTG up. Paessler PRTG Enterprise Monitor includes all the proven capabilities of PRTG Network Monitor, which are enhanced by exclusive ITOps Board for a service-oriented, central overview of multiple PRTG servers.

PRTG Network Monitor is also known as PRTG.

PRTG Network Monitor Buyer's Guide

Download the PRTG Network Monitor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

PRTG Network Monitor Customers

Jameson Bank, Sidnix, RungeICT, MedicalAnimal, Truck-lite, GamingGrids, The Covell Group, Forsythn County Schools, NetMass, Musgrove Park Hospital, Lanes Health, Columbia Southern University, Vodafone, Intrust Bank

PRTG Network Monitor Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Darryl Potgieter
Head of Technology Architecture - Head of Network and Security Centre of Excellence at a paper AND forest products with 10,001+ employees
A centralized solution with support for multiple technologies and can scale with our needs

What is our primary use case?

We have deployed this solution on numerous platforms.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to span multiple technologies and multiple vendors."
  • "The dashboarding definitely needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

For anybody who is interested in implementing this solution, I would say that planning is essential. It can be very complex and can generate a lot of data. You can become overwhelmed and then the solution becomes irrelevant because of the number of reports and alerts that it can generate. Planning is critical. This solution is geared towards practical alerting and monitoring. It is not really meant to give advice or any sort of analytics. Overall, this is a very good platform and provides value to the organization. However, in terms of the dashboards, there is room for improvement. I would…
Callum Williams
Systems Engineer at Converse Pharma Group
We can see trends for hard drive space and bandwidth usage

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for monitoring infrastructure: servers, printers, endpoints, and certain services on certain systems. We are alerted in regards to any issue with them.

• "We can see trends for a lot of different things, such as hard drive space and bandwidth usage. We can see and plan for the future by knowing, "We're sort of at 75% capacity now. In three months time, we know we're going to be up to 90%,so we need to plan ahead for it, getting upgrades booked in place." Since things like this take time and effort, it's handy to see trends into the future of where our company is going."
  • "The only sort of limitation is the actual probes. So, if you don't have enough probes on there, you can over flip them and cause the WMI sensors and SNMP sensors to sort of overload. Sometimes, they might timeout for a minute, but they do come back."

What other advice do I have?

Spend your time looking into PRTG and give it a trial. They're more than happy to give you a trial license for 30 days or so. Get it up and running on a certain site or system that you want to monitor just to see what you think of it. It is a very in-depth solution. You have to take the time to get it up and running the way you want. If you want it to be the best monitoring system, you have to put the time into it, such as creating a reliance on other sensors. E.g., if a ping sensor goes down, you're not going to get a response from the other sensors 99% of the time if the device isn't…
Learn what your peers think about PRTG Network Monitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Antony Gouldstone
Infrastructure Manager at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good, solid product, which does exactly what we need it to do

What is our primary use case?

We use PRTG to monitor all of our business critical and distributed systems around the areas that we operate in the UK. This is ensure they have good system uptime and can demonstrate against SLAs.

• "The solution provides us with needed feedback on our IT infrastructure. It gives us really good quality of service when it comes to monitoring of available space and available resources. It allows us to preempt issues before they become a problem for the business."
  • "It is easy to use and intuitive, which is really important. It does what it says on the box by giving you a visual of the state of what is going on at any one time."
  • "The desktop app is the one area where it do with some improvement. From a user's perspective, I would like to be able to get more out of the desktop app as opposed to where we are now with it."

What other advice do I have?

Look at what it is you want your organization to be able to do and what it is you need to monitor. Then, concentrate on the key elements first. Don't try and overcloud what you're trying to do. Start with your core stuff and work outwards, then you will always get a good solid solution. It is a really good, solid product, which does exactly what we need it to do.
DB
Cybersecurity Engineer at a tech services company
Reseller
It has been very reliable in updating us if any issues crop up

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage our systems internally. At some point, we will be offering it as a managed service.

• "It is pretty simple to use, which is always a good thing. It's been very reliable in updating us if any issues crop up."
  • "While the desktop app is good, they could slightly improve it. We would like it to be a single pane of glass. At the moment, you can only see certain portions of information. You have to scroll through to make it more granular. We want them to develop the desktop app to be more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

The modes for the desktop app, like the API, update via email, providing us the information that we need with handy options, which we use mostly when monitoring. There are easily integratable into our call logging system, which automatically logs a call when there is an issue.
Daniel Cattigan
Infrastructure Team Lead at a leisure / travel company with 501-1,000 employees
A useful kit to summarize the health of our infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor our critical infrastructure, i.e., the services our users depend on. It is very useful for us to have that holistic view, e.g, one single view of the dashboards. The product is a useful kit to summarize the health of our infrastructure.

• "We use the remote probes a lot for our branch offices. Instead of deploying the full instance of PRTG, we'll put a remote probe out there. This simplifies the whole deployment for us."
  • "There is a simplicity to setting up the extra sensors. It's really easy for us to build infrastructure and start monitoring very quickly."
  • "Once you start going above 5000 sensors, things do start to get a bit shaky. There are some best practice out there that you will need to adopt and be aware of."
  • "We would like more cloud native sensors for AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc. A lot of businesses are moving in that direction, so having something where we can pull performance stats out of these cloud services would be great for us."

What other advice do I have?

Take a couple of hours in an afternoon and deploy the free version. See what type of sensors are out there, then give it a go. You will find very quickly that it's quite a simple system to use. It doesn't take a lot of time or expertise to set it up and get some good data out of it. We haven't really used the desktop app. We normally use the central server, then we have the monitoring setup in such a way that we don't need to deploy any extra elements. It just monitors things via the SNMP or WMI. We tend to use the web browser a lot.
Anthony Grant-Marston
Network Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
The product makes it easier for us to find and identify problems

What is our primary use case?

* We run two data centers and are a hosted voice provider. * We have an Azure presence. * We use PRTG as a monitoring solution to effectively monitor all of our servers, routing infrastructure, and switches. * We have some Session Border Controllers, which are effectively Voice Firewalls. We monitor the uptime and availability of those via things like Ping. However, we are also using SNMP sensors. * We've written some SQL queries that PRTG is utilizing. * We check things, like error logs, through PRTG. * We are feeding things, like system log messages. * We use SNMP Traps.

• "The technical support seems to be quick, clever, and has a comprehensive knowledge base online, which is fantastic."
  • "The product is easy to use and the web interface is fantastic."
  • "It is nice to have one place where all the information is right there in front of us."
  • "The thing that we do struggle with a bit is in the historic data. If I want look over 30 days, because it averages out onto one graph, you can't zoom in and drill down information."
  • "We run it in a cluster, so we have two that run together. The cluster behind it is sketchy at times."

What other advice do I have?

PRTG is great for everyone. It is really broad, and you can use it as intrinsically and technically as you want. At the same time, you can get some nice, clean, concise front-ends. We use it every day. We rely on it heavily and trust it. We have so many people that use it, and I receive very little complaints about it. The only problems we have: The desktop app is not great, and every now and then, we have issues with the clustering. PRTG has everything pretty much hammered down. They should keep releasing sensors. They also seem to be producing stuff at quite a good rate. The product has been…
LS
Engineer at Datacentreplus
We can see as soon as there is a problem and track it down pretty quickly

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage customers and to keep an eye on when stuff goes down or when stuff is not working as intended. We monitor mostly servers, but we use it to monitor websites and some of the network infrastructure as well.

• "It's very easy to manage when you've got time to do some work on it: things like adding devices, adding groups, adding sensor clusters, and being able to clone and move stuff around."
  • "I wouldn't mind better categories for the sensors. When I go to add a new sensor for a new device, there are some categories in there already, and they can be filtered out, but there's quite a large pool of sensors... When I want to go in and find something quite specific, I have got to scroll down and scroll down to find what I'm actually looking for,"

What other advice do I have?

You can get the trial version of PRTG, you can get a load of sensors and the actual software package to try. Install it, give it a go, it is very easy to set up. SNMP is very easy to set up on Windows and Linux, and you've got a lot of options within PRTG so you really need to get stuck in and mess about with it to see if it has what you need in it. In terms of the sensors and remote probes, I don't have many problems with it because everything seems to be covered by it. I've not found something that I've not been able to monitor or that I've not been able to find data for. I have no problems…
Craig Williams
IT Manager at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Saves us money because we are not paying a managed service provider to monitor 50% of our infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

It provides a consolidated view of servers, switching, and network connectivity for the offices that I look after.

• "The most valuable feature is the notifications. As long as you spend time and think about what and when you want to be notified, it's always accurate. It is always there. I find things out before my Internet provider."
  • "I am not sure the solution is giving me all the needed feedback that we need. When something goes off on our IT infrastructure, it does tell me. However, it would be nice if it gave more intuitive information, e.g., the hard drive has gone up by 60 percent in an hour."

What other advice do I have?

Download the free installer, get it installed on a VM somewhere, and just watch. Pick a server, pick a network switch, and give it a go. Having used it from various iterations, the solution's feature set is great. There are moments where I want to go back in time and use the old IP tech product. However, as it evolves, with the quick releases that they bring, it really provides me an all-round product.
David Ashcroft
IT Infrastructure Engineer at Runshaw College
Provides historical data that helps us optimize our core networking

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor services, things like hardware usage and whether hard drive space is running out. We use it for quite a lot of our networking solution as well. If there's a glitch in the network, anything that's abnormal, being able to see that show up is quite good.

• "We can see which fiber links have been used heavily and, if they are used heavily, we can introduce more links to particular buildings or particular areas."
  • "The remote probes seem to be a little bit buggy at times. They just stop working or they say they can't communicate. What we tend to do to is install the remote app onto the servers that we use. That seems to clear it up."

What other advice do I have?

Just install it, follow the instructions, and off you go. It just seems to work. We do use the Desktop app and it's good, it works very well. It's very similar to the web-based system. It gets a little bit annoying sometimes because there are quite a lot of pop-ups. I'm sure we could turn them off but that's not something we've looked into. I actually find myself exiting the Desktop app, just to stop the pop-ups. I wouldn't say that it has made our IT department more cost-effective at this point because, although we pay for it and we use it, we haven't really made any changes on the network…
GB
Network Engineer
Allows us to grab all the needed information and feedback from a single point of view for our IT infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case if for monitoring bandwidth, uplinks and using SNMPs. We are slowly scaling out to monitor hard drive disk spaces, as well. Our bandwidth solution, which are the uplinks that we have at the moment for circuit breakouts, and ISPs don't give us the best information. So, we use what we can and monitor the uplinks before they hit the equipment.

• "The sensors and remote probes are phenomenal. We use them for all of our global sites. The problem with our global sites are that they are all VPNs. If the link goes down, you can't monitor other solutions, as it just goes off the grid. Having remote probes allows them to still carry on and get the information that we need when it comes back up, sending the information to us."
  • "This solution provides us with the needed feedback on our IT infrastructure. It allows us to grab all the information from a single point of view."
  • "They just released a newer version of the desktop app, a beta version, that I have been trialing out. I prefer the older version, only because of how the layout is designed"
  • "The clustering aspect needs improvement, as there is a bit of confusion about you do when hit that 5000 probe mark."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a shot. They have a free trial. If the product meets your needs, take it further. There is not much in terms of prerequisites, other than knowing the subnets and credentials. The product does everything that we need it to do at the moment.
PF
Infrastructure Analyst
Monitors a wide range of aspects of our equipment and has a lot of alerting options

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor our servers. We try to monitor all of the functions the servers as closely as possible.

• "The authentication links into our standard Active Directory authentication, which is very good."
  • "The remote probes are very useful. They allow us to provide a reference across different areas in the network. In trying to localize issues, that's very useful."
  • "We're using more cloud services now. It would be useful to be able to get information back from these cloud services in detail, and display any issues within PRTG for the rest of our systems."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend trying PRTG and seeing the benefits. We don't tend to use the Desktop app because the web-based interface is so good. I really don't have a lot of experience with the Desktop app. I would say the product is a nine out of ten. It's been very successful and done exactly what we wanted it to do.
AS
Information Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Enabled us to consolidate monitoring into one solution and deal with network stability issues

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is network performance monitoring, but we also use it for things like network traffic flows and getting a better idea of the actual types of traffic that are going through our network.

• "The most valuable feature is the dashboard interface. It's very clean, it's very simple to use."
  • "We've had some issues previously with the performance of the sensors. We tend to deploy quite a bit of WMI, which is quite processor-intensive, and we've found that that impacts the sensors quite a bit."

What other advice do I have?

Scrub out your requirements. PRTG does the network side very well indeed. If asset monitoring and integrations with other products are really important for you then it might be worth looking at this as well as a secondary product. Also, you need to plan your deployment and understand where and how to deploy the remote sensors. I prefer the web client. I've had limited use of the Desktop app and, from what I've seen, it's good, but I find using the web app is a lot cleaner in my workspace. The product has to be about a nine out of ten. From my somewhat more high-level view, the summary…
GM
Group Information Security Manager at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Makes available a great diversity of pre-configured metrics that can be monitored

What is our primary use case?

We use it for network monitoring, mostly. We look at any metrics that the sensors pull back for us, such as availability, performance. We have some custom sensors for service monitoring.

• "One of the valuable features is the diversity of metrics available to us to monitor. It's all there, it's all in the box. It's all made very easy, by virtue of it being pre-configured."
  • "Scalability is the only major sticking point for me. There is a recommended number of sensors, which is around 10,000 and we're double that... The only option we have to scale is to buy another core, which would be a separate, stand-alone instance..."

What other advice do I have?

It will do the job, more than anything I can think of. It will give you really useful monitoring statistics out-of-the-box, and will give you the ability to customize and do things that aren't there by default. It will take care of all your monitoring needs, pretty much, but just be conscious of scale. I would say PRTG is an eight out of ten. We're very happy with the functionality. Those missing two points come from the scalability issues.
TD
Infrastructure Manager at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

We primarily monitor Windows-based servers and services running within them. We also have some ties-in scripting into more bespoke areas, as well on our network. We host a virtual environment running VMware in-house.

• "The solution provides us response times to issues."
  • "From a network point of view, we can see the state of the network, as well as bandwidth usage and downtime."
  • "We have had a few issues with the web elements, as far as the dashboard. With the dashboard, it has to be manually refreshed. Occasionally, we reboot the server, or at least web services, due to the web aspect."
  • "I would like a more straightforward ability to create dashboards and maps. The network maps should be a bit more flexibility in the GUI to do what we need to do."

What other advice do I have?

I would be happy to recommend PRTG. I have no qualms with it whatsoever. It does what we need it to do and is flexible. There are some areas, like setting up dashboards, which could be improved upon. However, I have no major problems with the solution and no concerns with renewing next time around. I find the functionality within the web interface very feature-rich (compared to other products), so I have very few reasons to use the desktop app.
JR
Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Sensors can be modified, based on your needs, or easily removed if not needed

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring items on the network: switches, servers, and other devices, to guarantee or at least monitor uptime.

• "The feature whereby it shows when my hard drives are moving towards thresholds that would be considered outages, before they reach that point - that is valuable."
  • "I would like to see Office 365 monitoring. Essentially, it doesn't do it. I assumed not at all, but apparently it does it slightly. However, due to issues with APIs, they currently don't provide full monitoring for O365."

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution, one that is at least worth investigating. The historical data provided by the solution would potentially help optimize network performance, but it's not something I directly look at so I can't really pass along an opinion on that. Overall, the feature set looks good. It covers off a lot of what we're interested in. I would rate PRTG at eight out of ten. It does a lot of the things that I need it to do in terms of monitoring. It provides great feedback and produces it in an easily consumable way. The caveat is that it doesn't quite cover off everything I need it to do at…
PB
Security Engineer at a wellness & fitness company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Within 24 hours of setup, we had a days worth of logs to look through

What is our primary use case?

It is for monitoring the up/down of our core infrastructure: Internally, the edge routers in our major occupancies, core switches, access switches, etc. It sort of give us real-time feedback for what is going on. We use it to determine if a switch is up, our traffic is running optimally or at a normal rate.

• "The real-time monitoring and alerting are its most valuable features."
  • "Sometimes, it is difficult to drill down further to get information, e.g., if we saw spike in traffic, then we would want to drill down and find out what is causing that spike in traffic."

What other advice do I have?

For the solutions features that we are using, they are great. We have no issues with the feature set. I don't think we've ever used the desktop app, as I didn't know there was a desktop app. We just use the web.
Jon Bowler
Cloud Engineer at Software Cloud Limited
Provides us with immediate feedback on our IT infrastructure; we were blind before

What is our primary use case?

We use it to keep an eye on the equipment we've got out there. We've got a Citrix farm which we shut down on an evening. We have alerts to tell us if they haven't come back up.

• "The alerting is the most valuable feature. I also like the iPhone app. I get alerts in an email on the iPhone app."
  • "In terms of sensors and probes, it would be really cool if PRTG had a purely Azure-based solution. We had to install a probe on one of our cloud servers and then let that probe out from there. It would be really cool if it just monitored Azure without having to install something on the device."

What other advice do I have?

Get a trial set up and see what it can do. It's really intuitive. It's really straightforward. You get what you need to know out of it and the email alerts are customizable as well. All in all, it's really a positive solution. If you're looking for monitoring, then this is the one. I don't use the Desktop app much. A colleague of mine set it up and I just focus on the alerts. From what I know, it's fine. My overall impression of the solution's feature set is good. I'm pleased with it. It does everything we need to do. It would just be really cool if brought us straight into Azure. I'd…
PM
Systems Specialist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have complete warning thresholds so we can fix issues before they become issues

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring of all our disparate sites through a central console is our primary use case.

• "Speed of deployment is one of the most valuable features."
  • "The Desktop app is good but it can be really sluggish at times, especially when you're editing different elements."

What other advice do I have?

Give the demo a go. You'll find it super-quick and you'll love the benefits of it. I would rate the solution a ten out of ten. It's super-easy and cost-effective.
Chris Bentley
Senior Security Engineer at Fletchers Solicitors Ltd.
Lightweight probes allow us to proactively avoid disk space or switch overload

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for full network monitoring, to manage our entire estate; that includes things like disk space and network usage. It alerts us of any potential outages so that we can attend to those before they occur.

• "The sensors and probes are great, nice and lightweight, they don't take up too many resources on the system. We just deploy them out and they start reporting instantly."
  • "When it comes to third-party integration, one of the things we were looking at was putting some sensors onto our firewall, for instance. If there were a little bit more documentation and some step-by-step guides around that, that would be useful for us."

What other advice do I have?

You should absolutely look at this solution. It gives us everything that we need: The lightweight aspect of it on the network, the amount of information. It's absolutely worth the money. In terms of the feature set, the overall impression is very good. We've been using the product for just over 12 months now. We've just recently renewed that license because the product is very good and gives us all the information that we need. We bought around 1,200 or 1,500 sensors. Our estate supports around 450 users. I think we've almost maxed out on how many sensors we've deployed because we've got quite…
Anton James
IT Manager at Silverstring LTD
Tells me when things are about to fall over, allowing me to preempt, preventing downtime

What is our primary use case?

I use PRTG because I have six clouds around the world, a mixture of our own and our customer data, so I need to know when it's all up and running and when it's dead. My team is the main point of call for all the infrastructure around the world. I get called out at all times during the night and day, including this morning at five am.

• "One of its valuable features is the fact that it handles multiple operating systems... And I like the fact that it tells me when things are about to fall over, which means I can preempt it and not have to wake up at three in the morning to fix it."
  • "It would be good if there were better graphical interfaces when you have it on multiple monitors... Because we have so many servers, things can get lost in the fog a little bit. Maybe having a better way of showing different geographies, Flash, etc., would help."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try. You can do a lot with the free version that you download. But the sensors that you get with the extra packs make life so much easier because you can literally customize anything according to your whim, depending on your application or your data type. It has worked well. In terms of the sensors and probes, there are a lot of them. It takes a while to go through them. It's probably a bit of overkill. It's a situation where if you have too many sensors running you end up knackering your network. But then again, it has the sort of metrics you're looking for. If you want to look at…
Matthew Hancock
IT Manager at Berrys
Ping and bandwidth utilization sensors help us be proactive when something is down

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is monitoring when our network fails, when a server goes down or a site goes down. We have five sites.

• "Its proactiveness is its most valuable feature. We already know when we come in, in the morning, if a server or site is down, as opposed to someone telling us."
  • "It probably has this already, but if it had a mobile app that would be helpful. For example, on a day like today when I'm out, if I could just fire it up and see green, green, green, green, green or red, that would be good."

What other advice do I have?

It has a free trial so I would give it a go, you have nothing to lose really. Just try it. It doesn't take long to set up. I rate PRTG at eight out of ten. I wouldn't go higher because I haven't investigated it, used it fully-optimized. But I'm really happy that it does what it needs to do.
AB
Network Administrator at a construction company with 201-500 employees
Provides us with feedback on our infrastructure; for us, it is critical to know if something is down

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly for monitoring our servers, network equipment, firewall, etc.

• "The best feature is that it lets me know what is going on. I need to know if something has gone down, I need to know if something is running very slowly. PRTG tells me that."
  • "There seems to be a big jump from the basic scan to the really thorough scan. There is a big jump in the quantity of sensors it uses for certain things. One minute you might get ten and then the next you get 200. There seems to be a big jump between the two at times."

What other advice do I have?

I'd highly recommend PRTG. It's a very good product and the price is pretty good as well. Some of the others I looked at were very expensive. I don't really use the Desktop app. I prefer to see the web-based version. The overall feature set is very good. It can be a little memory-intensive, that's one downside as it does eat quite a bit of memory, but other than that, it's very good. It picks up all the sensors, does everything I need it to. I've not really found a product yet that it doesn't scan, which is great. Overall, really good. I would never give a ten out of ten, but I will go with an…
RobertoHernandez
Engineering and Pre-Sales Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for monitoring servers in our data center. It performs pretty well.

• "I really love the activity library. It gives the flexibility to discover data and metrics about my interface and data server."
  • "It improves the status of my infrastructure, from networking devices to real-time machines."
  • "The scalability is good. You can improve a remote host or the clustering. This gives it the flexibility to monitor another infrastructure remotely."
  • "I would like to see a more robust platform and a new dashboard. In addition, the code is good, but it needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

It is important when choosing a vendor to consider the connectivity.
SH
IT Strategy, Management Consulting, Training and Development at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
It is easy to deploy and cost-effective, helping the entire organization become digitally enabled

What is our primary use case?

We sell the product to customers and handle their problems. From every problem that we handle, we learn from it. As a company, we deploy WiFi network in major hotels (four or five star level). The guests who come to stay in those hotels are very sensitive to availability and performance. So, we have to monitor the bandwidth high availability, as well as the basic infrastructure, such as checking the system and all the IT infrastructure in those hotels. Today, we have a lot of customers, hundreds in India and neighboring countries, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Some of our customers have taken us… more »

• "The product is simple and easy to implement."
  • "I can create my own program sensor. This means I can add extra monitoring capabilities into the already fundamentally strong foundation."
  • "It helps the entire organization become digitally enabled."
  • "We would like to monitor certain aspects of the user experience. We should be able to analyze the cause of end user experience, bad or good, so we can do some research and development on our own."
  • "In a very few cases, customers want more detailed reports, which we cannot meet."

What other advice do I have?

Don't believe what you see in writing. Deploy it, then test it. It is easy to deploy and cost-effective. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Easy to do business with. * Responsiveness. * The vendor should be committed.
RC
Network Manager at Baldwin Family Health Care
User
Nice product with an easy interface to use and a large variety of sensors

What is our primary use case?

* Monitoring network * Uptime * Resources on servers * Better monitor our network, local, and remote hosts, and network usage as well.

• "Nice product with an easy interface to use and a large variety of sensors."
  • "PRTG has improved our visibility and response time to issues related to remote sites."
  • "Needs ability to monitor standard notification time (notify after X time)."

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution. We are evaluating the advanced features and client PC application monitoring.
it_user720498
Monitoring Specialist at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Overall Ease Of Use Is Good Though To Modify Sensors You May Need Support

• "Accessibility, ease of use (Web GUI, MobileApps). In general, compared with other software"
  • "Mostly, this software has sensors for devices to monitor specs and you can build or develop or modify various sensors, according to your company's needs. But you may need to do that with coding or plugins or with the support of Paessler AG, the manufacturer."

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for "easy", "simple", and "user friendly", I would recommend this product.
Technical Consultant at Celerity Limited
Allows For Better Monitoring of Devices and Helps to Identify Issues

• "Ease of set-up – it is quick and easy to add a probe and start collecting data from a device."
  • "PRTG access works best from the web GUI. There are dedicated apps on Windows/Android/iOS, but they are slow and don’t work as well as the web GUI."

What other advice do I have?

There is a free trial installation of PRTG available, which allows monitoring with 100 probes. Install on a server to gain some experience of PRTG and learn what it can do.
IT Adminstrator with 501-1,000 employees
It allowed us to report downtime on sites in a very easy and comprehensive way.​

What other advice do I have?

I would say that in general it's good software, yet I would advise newcomers about some of its limited features, but you can't really expect pinecones from a palm tree, if you know what I mean. If you need a simple and solid tool, and you're willing to spend a buck, it's a good option to consider. It's a tool that's been tested and you can easily see what it is or is not meant for.
Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Top Reviewer
We can monitor everything from one place and get email or SMS notifications.

What is most valuable?

Easy to setup, many avaliable sensors, easy import of MIB, cheap

How has it helped my organization?

We can monitor everything from one place and get email or SMS notifications. We are monitoring QoS for site-to-site VPNs.

What needs improvement?

Creating maps

3 years

Deployment is straightforward.

From time to time, you need to reboot the PRTG probe server.

No, you can add more probes very easily even from prtg web console.

7/10, main issue is that the company is in Germany and their…
System Administrator at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Intuitive and Compact Monitoring Solution

What other advice do I have?

This is a review of PRTG version 14. As far as network monitoring and analysis, I cannot think of a more intuitive and flexible product on the market today. Where PRTG shines is in its speed and compact design. The latest interface is ideal for complex networks and as useful for simple networks. Initially, I had a negative reaction to the idea of the sensor based license approach. Once I deployed PRTG on the network, the sensor model makes perfect sense. For the amount of sensors that I used and the included features, the cost of PRTG is over 80% lower than other software suites that claim to…
Technical Director - Data Center Solutions at Atrion
Finally a system monitoring tool that is easy to deploy and simple to use.
Download our free PRTG Network Monitor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.