Adaptive Insights Review

We can quickly get the big picture after multiple changes to different departments and account codes

What is most valuable?

Winning points:

1. Instant consolidation of multiple BUs
  2. User access control
  3. Changes to corporate structure, account codes are updated in all versions including prior years, hence "one-version of truth" as claimed.
  4. Integrated reporting with MS Office

How has it helped my organization?

By using Adaptive Planning (AP), we can quickly get the big picture after multiple changes to different departments and account codes.

What needs improvement?

Still room for improvement:

1. Discovery (the data visualization module): Needs to catch up with BI leaders, such as MS and Tableau. E.g., sorting by amounts in column charts and page slicers to control all visuals.
  2. Planning: two areas.
  • Need to have the function of importing formulas, which has been encouraged for more than five years by the author, but still lacking.
  • Modeled sheet has some limitations. It is not version specific, meaning upgrading formulas for the new year budgeting will leave unintended retroactive impact on prior years' budgets. Same with dimensions. I would love to have them be version specific rather than keeping changing.

Over five years.

Nothing substantial.

It's 99% stable. Occasionally lagging, e.g., during creating a cloned level.

Best customer service seen. Responsive within 24 hours, mostly within two hours. Issues usually fixed within one to two days. Staff very courteous and helpful.

High level. If the issue is outside their domain, it will be escalated to the engineers to fix.

Were using Excel before the switch, as it was nearly impossible to consolidate over 100 Excel files, each for one business unit. It took over two hours to consolidate, versus one minute in Adaptive.

Most module are straightforward. Others are complex due to the nature of our business, such as multi-dimensional cube sheets. Modeled sheets, with their limitations as cited above, needs special treatment.

Both. We have in-house staff implementing AP, with the mentoring from a vendor specialist, who was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Not sure dollar-wise. But Adaptive saves us huge hours in budgeting. e.g., for each roll-up, it saves us two hours at least, and we usually have more than 20 roll-ups.

Licensing seems to be worth the cost considering the efficiency Adaptive brings.

Yes. Among others, we evaluated the planning module of Insight Reporting, but decided to adopt Adaptive.

What other advice do I have?

Seek best advise and plan early rather than later during the initial phase of implementation. It would be costly to make significant changes at a later phase.