BMC Helix ITSM Review

Useful for orchestration, change management, and self-service

What is our primary use case?

Clients use it for incident management, problem management, change management, and device management.

What is most valuable?

Automatic orchestration is the most valuable. The feature for designating some cases or incidents to the right PM for resolution, first call resolution, and change management are also important.

The self-service feature and knowledge base resolutions are helping the customers in resolving issues rather than opening tickets.

What needs improvement?

It can have more features for hardware discovery and hardware information.

The integration with IQ operations management should be streamlined. ITSM and ITOM should be more integrated, and there should be better integration from Helix Discovery to Helix CMDB. There were some issues regarding this integration, and they were difficult to resolve in big environments. We have a lot of devices and users to manage. Therefore, the integration should be better.

I have been selling this solution since version 7, that is, for five years to seven years.

There is some difficulty in configuring high reliability and disaster recovery. Sometimes, the solution is not available for end users. The infrastructure must be configured in a certain way to keep it online most of the time. There are no bugs or issues.

It is scalable horizontally and vertically. The problem is that you have to use a lot of servers and server infrastructure to scale it. You need a really big infrastructure to manage and sustain ITSM. Most of our clients are big companies.

They solved the problem most of the time. I would rate them a nine out of ten. It would be good to have Brazilian support. Currently, you have to talk to engineers in the US, India, and other countries. We don't have local support, and we have to work with a partner.

It was complex. The older versions were complex to customize and create some workflows. It took a lot of time to deploy. I don't know about the latest versions.

It is too expensive for a small business.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to prepare and plan a lot before using the product. Define the exact workflows, themes, and end-user experience because the users sometimes don't use self-service. Customize it as little as possible.

I would rate BMC Helix ITSM an eight out of ten.

20.8
More BMC Helix ITSM reviews from users
...who compared it with ServiceNow
Learn what your peers think about BMC Helix ITSM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.